"Possibles Pouch" whats in yours?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
L

Little Mole

1 large feminine napkin for wounds

It's good to know these can be used to dress wounds in an emergency but if you're stocking a "possibles pouch" don't you think it would be much better to pack proper sterile dressings.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
My possibles pouch

100667.jpg

100666.jpg

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
My possibles pouch is a old army butt pack.In it I have tinder,wet fire.and matches. Knife and sharpening board. Parracord, needle and heavy thread.Metal cup,first aid kit also will throw my trainga in there.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Little Mole said:
It's good to know these can be used to dress wounds in an emergency but if you're stocking a "possibles pouch" don't you think it would be much better to pack proper sterile dressings.

Actually, a feminine napkin is as sterile and almost as absorbent as a large field dressing. Must cheaper to get too. I carry a Kotex super in all my kits. Had opportunity to see one in action too. I was sitting at the beach waiting for the sun to set and there was a multiple vehicle accident not 50 meters away from where I was sitting. A few of us ran over to check on everyone and a woman had a nasty gash on her head. I reached into my camera case and out came a Kotex super. She was very happy to see it and promptly removed the package and applied it to her wound, which was bleeding profusely. It worked well to stop the blood until the ambulance got to where we were. Oh yeah, good kit.

Swampy Matt

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2004
Midlands
Gary / Wayne

What size are the leather belt pouches that you've got?

I've got a nice piece of deerskin left over from a moccasin project that i'm thinking of turning into a possibles pouch, So i'm just wondering how big to make it.

Firstly the heart of my Possibles bag is my mini-kit. Here is a picture of it that Ron& Karen Hood(Hood's Woods) used for their cover page on Mini-kits .

The bag I carry the rest of my survival possibles is a camo Austrian Army shoulder bag. A cheapy mylar "survival Blanket, monocular, spare leatherman tool, sarong(use for everything from extra warmth, towel, a$$ rag, & everything less in between), small fixed bladed knife, the latest Volume of "Flashman"( the Flashman papers), and a bottle of Tabasco(makes anything taste good).

leon-1

ANDYLASER said:
Tomtom, what is the small billy can you have in your kit?

It would appear to be one of the Zebra billy cans that were placed on offer to the members of BCUK by woodland organics, well it is definitely a Zebra billy, but I can't say what the size is, a rough guess is that it is the 10cm one :wave:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
im not sure if it is the 10cm one.. knowing my luck it is seeing as i payed full for it befor the offer became avalible! :roll:

what is the 10cm a measure of if it is diameter, then it is smaller that the 10cm one? that one is about the size of a mug!

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I thought that a "possibles" pouch was something you carried around, and popped into it anything you found that looked like it "might possibly be useful"...

Surely, if it was full of things to save your hide, you'd call it a "survival" or "essentials" pouch?

I don't have one of these yet, but I have deep pockets and sometimes a small rucksack.

Keith.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
The possibles pouch is a name borrowed from the old mountain men and fur traders, the name comes from the fact that it contained those items that made life in the wilderness possible!

And of course it was also coined in a era when survival and bushcraft (hadn't been invented) were actually ways of life and not just part time playthings.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
A little added trivia is that many of the mtn. men and fur traders were French or French-Indian and they were responsible for many of the terms used. Especially the rendezvous, which was a gathering of the mtn. men/traders. Lots of shooting, fighting, drinking, trading and competitions. The rendezvous is still very popular today, although somewhat reserved as compared to the original.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
RovingArcher said:
A little added trivia is that many of the mtn. men and fur traders were French or French-Indian and they were responsible for many of the terms used. Especially the rendezvous, which was a gathering of the mtn. men/traders. Lots of shooting, fighting, drinking, trading and competitions. The rendezvous is still very popular today, although somewhat reserved as compared to the original.
My old French Canadian ancestors knew how to live, sounds a bit like the W/G eh Gary :rolmao:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
It does mate - but then as I used to belong to a living history group that re-enacted the Renedevous I suppose I am just a natural.

Although it should be pointed out is wasnt just Voyeguers (french canadian as well as british) who went to these things, it was trappers both free and company men, it was natives and traders (usually the blokes who set the thing up and who made phenominal profits) as well as the odd civilian and priest.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
The idea of a possible pouch as Gary said is to have what will make your excursion in the bush easier, so include the minimum that you could use and adjust to suit your abilities as you have more experience. This forum is "bushcrafting" correct me if I am wrong but relates more to the planned excursion (not to be confused with camping) in the bush not the involontary survival scene. Then the possible bag should be worn at all time as you go into the bush as a matter of habit. I do carry such when I go into the bush whether hunting, fishing, a walk, trapping or just roaming. It is a bit more than a survival kit, a bit less than a camping backpack. Along with possible bag I used to carry a hudson's bay ax but now I carry as often a kukri instead and a small folding saw.
just a thought

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Gary, the first to trade with the First Nations were called "Coureur de Bois" (bush runners) and their success in opening up the routes to the interior led the goverment (french) to try to restrict and dominate the routes and confiscated the furs that the coureur de bois brought in. The focale point came when Pierre Esprit Radisson and Medard Chouard Des Grosseillier were basicly robbed by the french intendant and they after a long stay in England promoting the fur trade, the Royal OK was given and the Hudson's Bay company was started which quickly grew into a lengendary company, the Voyageur was born out of the organised Coureur de Bois. Montreal latter started its own fur harvesting
company called the "North Wester" after many running battles the 2 companies finally merged into the Hudson's Bay Company. The first "Coureur De Bois were "Canadiens" native born men of french and native descent as they were the only ones to be able to withstand the rigours of the trails, canoe routes and climate. After the trails were established and post were built "european" came along and joined the trade. A free canadien trader and his wife Sacajawea helped to guide the Lewis and Clark expedition but that was much later.
just a thought

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Gary said:
It does mate - but then as I used to belong to a living history group that re-enacted the Renedevous I suppose I am just a natural.

Although it should be pointed out is wasnt just Voyeguers (french canadian as well as british) who went to these things, it was trappers both free and company men, it was natives and traders (usually the blokes who set the thing up and who made phenominal profits) as well as the odd civilian and priest.

Was it not so that everyone carried a pouch like this, because back then people did not wear clothes wit a lot of pockets. So they had to store their things somewhere else and then they used a small pouch.
Many old cultures were everything that they need in their belr because they often use clothes that has no pockets.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Viking, along with the belt pouch the early trappers as well as some today wear a "ceinture fleche" as long as 12-20' depending on the owner, that served multiple purposes, as a hernia belt such as the weightlifter use many "voyageur ruptured themselves with the very heavy loads they use to carry on the portages, as a purse in itself (in the folds), as tool beltholder: knife, tomahawk, pipe, tobacco pouch etc..., as a rope to tie off and guide a canoe down some parts of the river that was to shallow for a full load. Also the belt showed the area you came from and the style of the maker and it kept your shirt tucked in to act as a stop for shirt carried items, very usefull
just a thought

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE