"Possibles Pouch" whats in yours?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Hi all, what (if you do carry one) type of possibles pouch do you use, and what do you have in yours! this is probably like asking a woman what she carrys in her hand bag, but ive asked it so its tooooo late! :shock:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Paganwolf said:
Hi all, what (if you do carry one) type of possibles pouch do you use, and what do you have in yours!
Hmm.... it depends on how long i'm out & about, what kind of trip, terrain etc. But mostly it's all in the shirt/jacket pockets... But if it's a special trip which includes active things, it's useful with a possible bag.

For example if canoeing, it's nice to have one lying in the canoe behind the seat you're sitting on (i mostly sit in front and are the 'engine'), because you must have a lifevest on and if there's things in the pockets + a lifevest, it becomes very overkill and/or bulky... :wink: (tried it and you look like a CQB-man :lol: )

It's great to just be able to put away you possible bag and have maximum freedom of movement, especially when very active! :)

But the contents:
  • SAK
  • Matches or Firesteel
  • Sewing & Repair kit
  • Charcloth
  • FAK
  • Dog whistle (mostly if I have my dog with me, which I usually have ;))
  • Dry pair of socks
  • Watch-compass
  • Swimming goggles (nice when free-diving)
  • Trash bag
  • Knife
  • 'Bear-thread' (very strong, black, polyester thread)
  • Swedish Army Mess kit (very good to keep the stuff in. Then i'll just put the billy down in a cotton bag)

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Oh, I see. :wink: The leather one.
Well, in a small pouch like that, I would carry 1 darning needle, 1 sewing needle, 10 m. bear-thread, firesteel, plasters, watch-compass and a little charcloth. :wink: :) Then a SAK with dog whistle attached around the neck...

Cheers :uu:

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Hey should have put what i have in mine eh :roll: mine contains a fishing kit (in a FoxBox),contains;line, hooks,strong hook length with swivel and hook attatched,shot weights, small sinker weight,couple of flys, lid can be used as float.1st aid kit:butterflys,waterproof plasters,antiseptic wipe.Small clipper lighter,tinder pouch, 5 snares, small knife,needle and cotton,wire saw,and an LED light, compass.I think thats everything! who could ask for anything else! you would be surprised how light and small it all is,i don't even notice its there.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Oddly enough I was just digging around in mine.

I wear a small leather one and in it I carry 10m of para cord, a packet of boiled sweets, wet-fire tinder (a dozen bricks) and a fire steel - I like to wear this on a belt so I know that if I loose my pack ect I still have the means of making fire and shelter ect.

Wearing such a pouch is a good idea as in theory you will loose you trousers last!! :yikes: i.e your less likely to go without trousers than a jacket. But it is also a good idea to select a small pouch so that it is less likely to hamper you and therefore less likely you will remove it when travelling ect.

Lastly I have a matchsafe and compass which are attached to a paracord loop and these are tied to my belt and carried in the pocket of my trousers - again based on the theory above.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
My idea of a possibles pouch is the bigger pouch that hunters carry to bring home any small game they're lucky enough to bag. Since there's always the chance of finding some wild plants, kindling or whatever as you forage in the woods, I usually keep a stuff sac in my pocket to carry finds in.

I could never get on with a pouch as you describe them, but keep similar essentials distributed around my trouser & shell jacket pockets. These include an inova X5 and spare batteries, folding knife, windmill lighter, foil survival bag, firesteel, maya wood, compass & whistle - some on traser keyfobs.

Cheers

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Mine is a tad larger, being 4"X6"X6". It's an Eddie Bauer camera case with shoulder strap, but can be worn on the belt (high or low) as well. There is a main compartment and a zippered pouch.

Inside of the zippered pouch I keep:

1-1 gallon ziploc freezer bag for water carry
1-1 oz. squeeze dropper bottle with Clorox Bleach for water treatment
1 disposable lighter
1 Alba Botanica Sun lipcare with 18 SPF rating
1 knife sharpener

Inside of the main compartment I keep:

1 camo head scarf that I use to strain water as well as other uses
1 German military issue pocket utility knife with saw
1 Boy Scouts of America Hotspark sparking tool
1 Aviators Spark-lite survival firestarting kit with spark tool and tinder
1 Altoids tin with homemade firestarting tinder
1 hank of 15 meters 550 parachute cord
1 small role duct tape
1 roll Micropore paper first aid tape
1 package of facial tissue for TP and other uses
1 large feminine napkin for wounds
1 Altoids tin with FAK which includes biofreeze, alcohol prep pads, Benzalkonium Chloride Antiseptic wipes, Imodium AD, Ibuprofen, Benedryl, 2X2 dressings and a few bandaids
1 Altoids tin with fishing/sewing kit
1-55 gallon industrial barrel liner

181590.jpg

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
James I made my first one but bought my latest one - if you want me old one its your, its sound just old.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
possibles002.jpg

OK heres mine then - these few items are the essentials without which life might not be possible (hence the name possibles bag) - you might call it a 'crafters' survival kit then again you might not. :nana:

Everything else goes in a day sack but even then I still practice carry less by knowing more.

PS James I'll keep you to that!!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Yes Bill it is one of Bodies - and yes very pleased - his work is very good.

I thought it a little small to start with, my old one was bigger, as I couldnt get my first aid kit in it as well but then I reasoned the first aid was just as good in a jacket pocket or trouser pocket. While the real essentials could still go in nicely.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
After a span of some 30 years of suspended animation, I am re-discovering the concepts of survival, being prepared etc.
I am working on and learning about details from the wads of knowledge and experience on this amazing site, but a tentatively pencilled-in bag for me will include:-

opinel knife
1m roll of self adhesive sticking plaster
1 or 2 dressings or tampons
some cordage (not yet sure what sort)
small diamond file (gerber)
small lens (c/o canon)
fire steel & tinder
6 soluble paracetamols
space blanket
heavy guage poly bags (x2 -1 v. large 1 small)
Sheet of thick tin foil
cd
Dry socks 1 for me 1 for my boy
rubber tubeing
glucose sweets mint cake white choclate (boy's fave)
matches (waxed in plastic film canister)
a few hooks,swivels, line on little spool, mepps spinners (x2)
6" & 2" nail (to burn holes)

Don't forget I'm still learning and re-discovering things. I'll take this sort of stuff when I go fishing & camping (1 night out) with my boy when he's a bit bigger. I'd try to get it divided among 2 pockets (Flecktarn trousers) and a bum bag.
Anything crucial I missed? Any comments? Should little lad (6) have his own bag?? Thanks lads :wink: :wave:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Any comments? Should little lad (6) have his own bag??
I've read about a 7 year old girl, walking in Lapland with her mother. She had her own pack.
It gives responsibility and a feeling og being able to do something, when having a rucksack on, IMO. :D :wink:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Any comments? Should little lad (6) have his own bag??

yes, but maybe his one should be different. containing perhaps just a whistle, torch and survival bag. depends how old he is or what his skill level is.

at a guess, the cd is a signal mirror.

cheers, and.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Well truth is he has "special educational needs". He was poisoned before birth (healthcare professionals mistakes), and at one time was not expected to walk. He cannot talk either. But yes, touche! You reminded me, I have to persuade him hard to learn new things. I read of the inuit women who get the baby to do kayak paddling excercises and I tried this with him. (Little saws, plane, screwdrivers, drumsticks, ruler, setsquare etc) Took me several weeks to learn him how to use a spoon - same method. Eventually starts to copy me.
Your'e one smart confident kid, but did you read all of the post?? :wink: :wink:
CD I could use as a signal mirror or make lures or anti-kink vane. :wave:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
mr dazzler said:
Your'e one smart confident kid, but did you read all of the post?? :wink: :wink:
CD I could use as a signal mirror or make lures or anti-kink vane. :wave:
Whoops, guess I replied a little too fast, but i'm doing homework and chatting at the same time so gets interrupt... :wink: :)

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE