Whats your oldest kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
But then you would need a little turnspit dog.
No, generally turnspit dogs - and the most famous contemporary illustration, by Thos Rowlandson, is of one from near to here in Newcastle Emlyn - were for turning spits during the down-hearth period of cooking, rather than at the time of raised bar-grates when bottle-jacks came to be used. They were, pretty much, done away with when weight-driven spit engines became available at affordable prices.

There are some stuffed ones to be seen here and there; they were an interesting type and there are references in old works - in English and Welsh - that indicate they were pretty bright, since a common phrase / saying was 'as hard to find as a spit-dog when you need him'. Meaning that they weren't over-keen on having to work in a treadmill by a hot fire for a few hours, and so made themselves scarce... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Macaroon

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
A blue plastic insulated cup I got when I went on my first scout trip (7/8?) So coming up on thirty odd years and still my go-to mug for trips!

Reactions: neoaliphant

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I don’t use these so I’m off topic.
I didn’t even collect them. Like so much of my tat they were in an auction job lot.
IMG_5883.jpeg

One of them made by Nettlefolds is dated 1873.
The other, by Clarke is undated.

They are sailors knives and tradition has it that the sailors cut off the tips to prevent accidents on a rolling ship.

Looking at these two I think that the manufacturers either made the blade that shape or made them to be cut. I cannot picture a reasonable blade shape that would fit into the handle other than what’s here.
IMG_5884.jpeg

Cuckoo996

Sep 8, 2023
Wales
By oldest, do you mean age of item or length of time owned?

All my kit I've had in the last 3 or so years as had to replace after a loss of all my original kit.

Oldest item I currently own is a primus himalaya multifuel, 20+ years old.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
This mug! Circa mid 1990's, possibly from the scout shop.

Attachments

• IMG_20231230_002843_859.jpg
    IMG_20231230_002843_859.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 4

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Not yet! But the sixth sense may yet get me!
This is my experience; Mrs GNJC has an entirely uncanny knack of discovering things that I'd rather she didn't... usually things that she regards - entirely wrongly - as a 'waste of money', which I think is pretty rich coming from someone who spends cash on such stuff as 'body butter'... :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Ozmundo

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
By oldest, do you mean age of item or length of time owned?

All my kit I've had in the last 3 or so years as had to replace after a loss of all my original kit.

Oldest item I currently own is a primus himalaya multifuel, 20+ years old.

Both!

i was anticipating a lot of axes, but its very cool all the old equipment like the knives and turn spits!

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
A blue plastic insulated cup I got when I went on my first scout trip (7/8?) So coming up on thirty odd years and still my go-to mug for trips!

This is very cool, ive got loads of my kit still in use from when I was 7, so 41 years later.. and my canteen from when I was 5.

Fisher price toys...they dont make them like they used to....

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I have quite a few things.
One is the family canvas ridge tent that I have just made a new fly sheet for as the old one had perished. An external frame rucksack that I purchased in Western Australia in the early 80s.
Various cups and water bottles,a penknife and
a few Primus stoves .
Since purchased a few more stoves that are older than me.
I can’t see much of the rubbish produced now that will last very long.

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
Maglight Solitaire free gift (something to do with Malboro when I smoked)
Generic Sheath Knife I was gifted 94 (modified years later)
Arctic Sleeping bag issued to me 94
Boot brushes bought 94
Zippo 95

Dec 29, 2023
Scotland
Still use a trangia from the 80's, a leatherman I bought when working in the states in the 90's and a mora that I was given when working in Norway, also in the 90's. Also have a 3/4 length thermarest from the 80's but don't use it anymore having upgraded to a thicker, wider one.

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
All this discussion of 90’s stuff as “old” is depressing!
Not speaking for anyone else, I don't consider my stuff old, just the oldest kit I have.

Despite running the woods with a pocket knife making dens and camping out as a kid, it wasn't until getting out the army (97) I had dedicated bushcraft gear which was (at the time) mostly demob stuff and evolved/devolved/evolved again over time.

Reactions: Pattree

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
i remember in about 93 the local camping shop was complaining that people were coming in asking for things that people saw ray mears have on the country tracks episode, it was the first TV i remember where anything remotely like kit reommendations were featured. camping shops were mostly caravan accesories and hiking stuff. no axes and all fixed blade were rambo knives.... i got my trangia messkit tin in 96, that was a great bit of kit and have still got, loads of otehr peopels trangias that friends had, they were since quashed and fell apart.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I spent hours looking through the Bukta Scout and Guide catalogue in the fifties. I never did get a Gilwell pan set. I did get a seven in one tool that incorporated a shovel axe and saw among other things. As you might expect it didn’t do any of them very well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE