Midlands outdoorshow Meet March 2009

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... You'll know which ones me because of all the swearing about putting my tarp and hammock up.

You'll be fine as long as you bring (and use :cool: ) decent insulation, use drip lines (or similar) and don't use the 'T.T.T set-up' - as will all newbie tree swingers.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
You'll be fine as long as you bring (and use :cool: ) decent insulation, use drip lines (or similar) and don't use the 'T.T.T set-up' - as will all newbie tree swingers.

Put me out my misery mate, what the T T T set up ?

I think Spam's bring a spare underblanket for me but i will be using a small self inflating mat and a few blankets plus my 58 pattern bag.

Andy

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I will be the pair of legs visible under a gigantic bergan.......arriving thurs....

Very similar - my kit is in a 35L pack* plus bedding roll**. However I'm having trouble fitting the bits I'm bringing for spam, Wayland and woodstock, trades/swaps items and communal kit into a 100L pack :neo2: - woodstock's large billy and the communal bow saw won't fit into the pack and remain fit for original purpose :D .

* Without stuff dangliing off the outside! :rolleyes: .
** OK, so it's a fair old size - I'm a big bloke :lmao: .

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Put me out my misery mate, what the T T T set up ?

The 'Twang - Twang - THUNK' set-up is what you can get if you rig your hammock up between trees which lean away from each other. The name comes from the noises heard as the straps slip, grip, slip again and is quickly followed by the sound of gravity being arrested by a sudden stop :D .

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
The 'Twang - Twang - THUNK' set-up is what you can get if you rig your hammock up between trees which lean away from each other. The name comes from the noises heard as the straps slip, grip, slip again and is quickly followed by the sound of gravity being arrested by a sudden stop :D .

Why oh why did i buy this wretched thing ? :confused: must have been a moment of madness or water on the brain from the last meet. lol I think i will be using a ratchet system tbh Dec, as the tapes on the DD are like bungee cord.

Got any telegraph poles on site ? lol:D

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Because most folk who use one say that you get a great nights sleep???

It's like anything new i think, i'm probably a bit doubtful of it to start with but had it up in the garden and it did seem comfortable. I think its the elastic qualities of the tapes that's vexing me at the moment really, but i'll sort that with the ratchet straps.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
It's like anything new i think, i'm probably a bit doubtful of it to start with but had it up in the garden and it did seem comfortable.

:lmao: Most (disclaimer - not all) people find them a comfortable way to kip - like all kit, it's horses for courses.

I think its the elastic qualities of the tapes that's vexing me at the moment really, but i'll sort that with the ratchet straps.

I have a hennessy so I can only guess that, to an extent, there's the same issue going on with DD straps.
Initial set-up seems taut until you put your weight on it - and slowly your bum gets a bit closer to the ground? - If this is the case most folk just re-adjust and re-tighten (?? IIRC DD recommends this is re-done daily??).

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
:lmao: Most (disclaimer - not all) people find them a comfortable way to kip - like all kit, it's horses for courses.

I have a hennessy so I can only guess that, to an extent, there's the same issue going on with DD straps.
Initial set-up seems taut until you put your weight on it - and slowly your bum gets a bit closer to the ground? - If this is the case most folk just re-adjust and re-tighten (?? IIRC DD recommends this is re-done daily??).

Phew, I thought that it was just my fat a%$^ that was doing that :lmao:

Podcast Bob

Okay, so either my podcasts aren't very popular (can't be I've won awards you know!) or the show itself is losing its appeal, either way I have a wadge of free VIP tickets for the outdoors show still left over from the competition.

Those who applied have already had theirs, so if anyone else would like some pairs of tickets please PM me on here with your name and address and I'll pop them in the post to you tomorrow.

First come first served and this post is being placed on others sites as well. May see you guys around the Bushcraft stand on the Friday!

Cheers
Bob

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Looks like i'm still coming, and looking forward to it. I'll be arriving by train on the Friday afternoon, then walking to the site doesn't seem that far . Will there be anybody about in the daytime as I think some of you are going to the show on that day, shall I make my self known to the warden. Is any body else going by PTransport?:)

mesquite has offered a lift to the show on Fri if any seats are left just chip in for petrol and parking

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Okay, so either my podcasts aren't very popular (can't be I've won awards you know!) or the show itself is losing its appeal, either way I have a wadge of free VIP tickets for the outdoors show still left over from the competition.

Those who applied have already had theirs, so if anyone else would like some pairs of tickets please PM me on here with your name and address and I'll pop them in the post to you tomorrow.

First come first served and this post is being placed on others sites as well. May see you guys around the Bushcraft stand on the Friday!

Cheers
Bob

Typical we've just bought some, 4 to be exact:(

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
well chaps , dont fret about the stretchy tapes on the DD hammock ! youll only have a springy time on first night after that they stop giving . However a popular mod is to remove the tape from the hammock and replace with good para cord in a loop that extends about a foot from the end of hammock when under load , then have a steel ring to act as a drip arrester then use the original tapes together with carabeenas to anchor to tree because the tapes love to soak up rain!! look forward to meetin you chaps, travelling up with John Fenna on thurs see you then.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Why oh why did i buy this wretched thing ? :confused: must have been a moment of madness or water on the brain from the last meet. lol I think i will be using a ratchet system tbh Dec, as the tapes on the DD are like bungee cord.

Got any telegraph poles on site ? lol:D

Once you get the hang of it you will not want to ground dwell again, as for the cords, mine have'nt stretched once there will be plent of bods who have hummocked before and will only be to glad to offer help or advice

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE