Lowest temp UK hang record

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Pulk.jpg

Well I finished the modifications. More details here.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Looking good Wayland!

Mine should be finished today, just got the parts-some 20mm webbing, clips, stainless bolts and PVC waste pipe, I'm going with a rope through pole system now as we may be tackling some more undulating paths. Pics to follow today.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
My ebay pulk is about ready to go!

IMAG0378.jpg

IMAG0372.jpg

I made 8 of these webbing terminals out of stainless sheet and fixed them with M5 stainless Allen bolts. If anybody knows where I could have got them from off the peg, please don't tell me!

IMAG0375.jpg

IMAG0374.jpg

Made a 50mm waistband from an old webbing belt with bartacked webbing loops and used Polymorph to make some pegs (look like teeth) to attach it to the waistband. They need making captive really.

My rope pull mount is pants and needs modding to make it quick release.

Who's next? :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I did a reccy in B&Q the other day so I'm good to go when my sledge lands, it should've been here today

Is that 20mm conduit for the poles Pete? What's the base board?

The harness looks sweet, is there a requirement for the quick release dogs teeth?

Can we have a side on view too please :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Twisty poles! Great spot! That'll be tried. I got the harness idea from here.

The quick release is so I can do some training towing a car tyre around, no need really if the belt is quick release. The quick release is more important on the sled end IMO, so it can be broken down for transport in the boot of a car.

Side pics coming soon mate.

Edit; the bottom board is a piece of painted 6mm plywood. I had to paint it as it was proper manky. Its much better left natural and treated in tung oil though so you can use it as a stove base/table.

Last edited:

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Well guys i take my hat off to you all for going out in the coldest of coldness !!!!!!- I on the other hand plan to crank up the heating -tie my hammock off the door frame and kitchen table or the stair newel post and attempt to go for the warmest hang record (indoors) :lmao::lmao:

Good luck with it anyway!! -Abit too hardcore for me !!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Booooo for slow deliveries :(

I think it'll work OK if I don't drag too much weight in it. The front looks a bit shallow, I'm thinking of bending it up with a hot air gun to stop it getting its nose stuck in the snow?

Edit; the pipe I used is 15mm barrier pipe from Screwfix, cost a fiver for 2x3m. I can't belive the price of plastics now, every time I go to a suppliers its gone up! 21.5mm would be better I think.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
We should have a few more pulk trips if the snow happens again this winter, some of the old disused railway trails in the Trossachs would make a great few days with fairly easy pulling.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thanks Wayland ;) Seeing yours makes me kinda wish I'd have got one too, the runners and shape are better.

The Trossachs are not too bad to get to either, sounds good. I'll check them on GE. I'm planning on virtually living outside when the temps finally drop with lots of trips out to get acclimatised for the arctic trip.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I was just checking a route we walked last week in Glen Ogle, it would be stunning for a winter camp up near the viaducts or over into the forestry area round into Glen Dochart.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
It would depend a lot on snow depth and path type, I don't know that area either mate. With good packed snow, not very deep it should be possible to do a couple of miles an hour with breaks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE