Lowest temp UK hang record

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
This year could very well see some really low temps if the predicted severe winter happens again. Shugs cold weather posts on HF are inspiring me to once again get out there and break my cold weather hammock record

which stands at a toasty -15, well above what they do regularly in the US in the winter.

My plan for this year is to get up to Scotland when we get a high pressure system dragging lots of cold air down from the arctic and hang in it. :hammock.

It'll probably be in the Braemar or Altnaharra area which usually see the coldest temps. : I'm hoping to get well below -20 C this year. Ideally hanging close to a bothy or my van as a back out if anything goes wrong to provide some warmth and shelter. :campfire:

Assuming all goes well, my plan is for a 2 or 3 days outing, using the van or a bothy as a base to play in the snow in the daytime.

I'm looking for at least one other to team up with for safety reasons, as my freind who usually goes may not be able to this year as this will be a very short notice thing.

I'll be driving there in my panel van for big safe storage options, shelter if the roads are blocked and to take plenty of spare kit etc, I'm happy to provide transport :drive:

So, has anyone else got the kit? is able? and has the knowledge, time and will to get out and hopefully brag about a record?

Pete.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you ask on the Scotland South or Scotland North forum, you'll likely find company :D

Last New Year was a doozy up here :rolleyes:

Might be worthwhile getting a few locals phone numbers; useful to have just in case.

cheers,
Toddy

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
If you ask on the Scotland South or Scotland North forum, you'll likely find company :D

Last New Year was a doozy up here :rolleyes:

Might be worthwhile getting a few locals phone numbers; useful to have just in case.

cheers,
Toddy

Good idea Toddy ;)
Phone numbers would be handy, getting round blocked roads will likely need some help.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Count me in :)

(providing we can actually get up there, my hair dresser car won't even make it out of my street)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Might also not be a bad idea to get a kind of list of camping spots accessible not far from the main roads.
Wiston Lodge is near the Happendon services, but the road in can be a touch dicey if it's under 2' of snow :rolleyes:

cheers,
M

Sounds like a fantastic plan (I'm a recent fan of Shug's too) - I hope it goes well - looking forward to seeing a report with lots of pics. I'm planning a slightly less adventurous hammock trip locally, perhaps at Middlewood. I've only hammocked in Summer so far so I'm going to ease myself in gently. Saying that, it hit -18 around here last January. Guess I'd better get a move on with making an underquilt!
Good luck with your Scottish trip!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Never tried it in the cold as it defies logic to me. Surely you'd be a lot colder laid out like that rather than being curled up on a decent platform?

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I am a regular up at bob scotts bothy in the caringorms and there are plenty trees to hang from!

I have plenty of kit so am up for it if you are!!

KP

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Great stuff Rich and KP!:bigok:

It was Bob Scotts I was thinking of as a possible. Its a long walk in though :)

Never tried it in the cold as it defies logic to me. Surely you'd be a lot colder laid out like that rather than being curled up on a decent platform?

Its actually warm with a decent underquilt, the insulation hangs under you, maximising its loft and making it work to its optimum.

A decent down underquilt and doors on a tarp make all the difference; its a tent with almost unbreakable poles(which you dont have to carry) and a very comfy down filled place to sleep. :)

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Great stuff Rich and KP!:bigok:

It was Bob Scotts I was thinking of as a possible. Its a long walk in though :)

Aye, about 45 mins normally,2-3 times longer in the snow. However,I am planning to cycle up a few times between now and winter to stash coal, Whisky and other supplies so I have less to humph at the time!!!

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I'd be up for that. I'm more a ground dweller though, so be fun to see the difference in comfort between you up there and me down here.

I also have a 4x4, so if the roads get too grim for your van, it may be of some use.

I'll ask nightmair off here as well, see if he is up for it. He is ML qualified as well.

Let me know if that appeals.

Billy

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Sounds like a fantastic plan (I'm a recent fan of Shug's too) - I hope it goes well - looking forward to seeing a report with lots of pics. I'm planning a slightly less adventurous hammock trip locally, perhaps at Middlewood. I've only hammocked in Summer so far so I'm going to ease myself in gently. Saying that, it hit -18 around here last January. Guess I'd better get a move on with making an underquilt!
Good luck with your Scottish trip!

Thanks Bob :) Get that UQ done, you'll love it!

Good on yer!

I'm way too much of a fanny in the winter. I make myself a nice warm burrow and curl up for a good few months. :)

Hehe. The nice warm burrow bit will likely be much more appealing when the coffee has turned to ice in the mug.

I'd be up for that. I'm more a ground dweller though, so be fun to see the difference in comfort between you up there and me down here.

I also have a 4x4, so if the roads get too grim for your van, it may be of some use.

I'll ask nightmair off here as well, see if he is up for it. He is ML qualified as well.

Let me know if that appeals.

Billy

Thats brilliant Billy, it appeals. It would make a nice sized group. Pull up a log/pulk :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Aye, about 45 mins normally,2-3 times longer in the snow. However,I am planning to cycle up a few times between now and winter to stash coal, Whisky and other supplies so I have less to humph at the time!!!

The squirrel thing is a good move , great track to ride too.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I know, although im so unfit I aint looking forward to the cycle there- but the way back will be great!

Will do a few trips in total so if anyone wants me to stash stuff for them nearer the time, give me a shout!

KP

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Must remeber to follow KP the next time he goes out on his bike :):):).

Good stuff for giving it a go chaps I would love to join you but I dont have the right equipment or knowledge to do a snow outing but if you need a hand with anything from up my ways give me a shout.

All the best

Craig

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE