How to keep warm in a hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've not seen any of the Enlightened stuff in the flesh yet but they do look good from what I've seen on HF so far

Let us know how you get on

Forget the Jervan inside the hammock, it'll be more hassle than it's worth, I've never quite worked out why folk use bivvy bags etc in a hammy.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Rather than start a new thread about the same subject, And because I am newbie with hammock stuff, Can some one explain the principles behind the function of the underquilt? I can't afford a manufactured one so I will probably have a go at making something myself if I find I am getting cold. I have yet to sleep in a hammock.

Could you explain why a closed cell foam, thermarest or inflatable matt doesn't work as well as an underquilt and why does the underquilt work?

Has anyone got experience using the very thick inflatable matts that exist like the neo air or Dozer?

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product424.asp

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16534&category_id=289

Do you think we are on the brink of a dedicated hammock sleeping bag arrangement that may have built in inflatable parts?

Just interested in this because it's all new to me and I like to learn.

Also has anyone tried using a sleep mat inside a sleeping bag with maybe a liner covering the matt?

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Could you explain why a closed cell foam, thermarest or inflatable matt doesn't work as well as an underquilt and why does the underquilt work?

Short answer as I'm just about to go out ..

With a mat you're protected underneath but there's nothing around you unless you use a couple of extra pieces around your sides and shoulders, SPE I think they're called.

With an underquilt you get insulation all around you.

There's nothing wrong with using a mat in the warmer months but for winter you can't beat a proper UQ.

It doesn't have to be anything fancy, you can hack up an old sleeping bag to give you roughly a rectangle as long as you need, sew a channel in the edges and feed some shockcord through and you're away.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
With an UQ, the insulation hangs underneath which helps the insulation trap more air than if the same insulation was used in a sleeping bag.

Its very hard to explain why an UQ is soooo much better than a mat, it just is. There are many benefits and only a night in one will confirm this. Nothing comes close to them IMO, and I've used and own all the different types.

I don't like thick mats in the hammock because it raises the centre of gravity and makes them tippy. Its been the cause of 4 of my 8 odd falls from the hammock.

I'll continue using mats on occasions when there is the chance of spending a night on the ground, especially when having to bail from the hammock and sleep on the ground in the cold places I get to in the winter.

To answer the thick pad question, I have an Exped Downmat 9 which is pretty thick and an Pacific outdoor 3" Aircore. Both need just over half inflation to get them comfy in the hammock

Last edited:

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
Ouch that's nice but certainly not cheap! One of the guys on here "Unsponsored" was making underquilts and they looked pretty good and not as much as that.
Colin

Wwoooaahhhh thats a lot of money for an UQ. Try looking at some of the manufacturers over here, UKhammocks can set you up with one custom made for less than that or snugpak UQ for around 80quid. Your Jervans will set you back another 200 squid.

Personally i would suggest the Snugpak UQ and a decent bag, if that dont work you will get most of your dosh back for the UQ
Yep it's expensive and when I first started this thread no way would I have spent so much but now my mindset as changed. UKhammocks UQ is 157 pounds+ 8.50 delivery charge. With enlightened equipment I get to choose the colour, size and the material of the underquilt and I also get to choose the fill. I want to get a 6'6 with 30% overfill underquilt, it will also be wind and water resistant, the UK hammocks UQ is not water resistant.

The underquilt alone will cost 190 pounds so only 33 pounds more than UK hammocks, the delivery charge is 29 pounds not cheap also but I think this UQ looks to be a quailty product. I'd rather payout once then have to payout several times.

As for the Jervens, it will cost me 265 but I think it will be worth every penny, it looks to be a great piece of kit.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
I've not seen any of the Enlightened stuff in the flesh yet but they do look good from what I've seen on HF so far

Let us know how you get on

Forget the Jervan inside the hammock, it'll be more hassle than it's worth, I've never quite worked out why folk use bivvy bags etc in a hammy.

Will do. I'm only really intending to use the Jevans as a top quilt inside the hammock but as the other poster said it's not that hard just to get inside it and use it as a sleeping bag. The Jevan's is more than just a bivvy bag, I could even put sleeves on it and wear it as a coat inside the hammock. I've even seen one fella use it as an underquilt.

baldscot

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2011
glasgow
Tried hammocking for the 1st time last weekend - loved it. I used a polish sleep mat from Military Mart (£15) with a wool blanket as cover. It wasn't that cold so i ended up kicking blanket off during night. The mat was great, but no use if you're hiking to location as it's very heavy and bulky. There are a few vids on youtube of these in use.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I slept out in the hammock last night - being the hottest day of the year I thought my Tropen jungle bag would be sufficient but had to hang the underquilt as started getting severe CBS... ;). I also fetched my wool blanket (was only in the garden!) as extra warmth - which I needed

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I haven’t yet used my hammock but was thinking if I put a tin foil survival blanked in the gap where the matt would go and my Army artic bag would that work?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I haven’t yet used my hammock but was thinking if I put a tin foil survival blanked in the gap where the matt would go and my Army artic bag would that work?

It'll keep you warm to a certain degree but you'll get some serious condensation build up

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Good point never thought of that. Would sleeping in a Bivi bag and sleeping bag in the hammock help?
Posibly plan to use the hammock this weekend so dont want my 1st attempt to be my last if i get too cold but then dont want to be too hot either.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good point never thought of that. Would sleeping in a Bivi bag and sleeping bag in the hammock help?
Posibly plan to use the hammock this weekend so dont want my 1st attempt to be my last if i get too cold but then dont want to be too hot either.

If it's as warm as it was when I was down there this weekend I doubt you'll need much in the way of insulation underneath you, just a small section of foam mat under your butt will do.
A bivi bag won't add much in the way of insulation but they can cut out a chilly breeze, personally I think they're a waste of time in a hammock though, you'd be better off carrying a piece of mat or blanket and putting that between the layers of your hammy.
If you're taking an arctic rated bag with you then I doubt you;re going to e cold, you'll just get a bit of a cold butt if you don't protect that area.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
I am going to try using the Jerven bag as an underquilt when I get one, it seemed to work for the fella at hammock forums, it just needs to be suspended as close to the hammock as possible. The jervens will cost only a little more than the enlightened underquilt so it's worth trying.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE