How to keep warm in a hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
I used the Jerven kingsize bag inside my hammock yesterday, I wore a keela belay advance jacket, helicon trousers, cotton t shirt, thin cotton socks. I slept it in first without any installation underneath me, it wasn't not too bad but my back was a bit cold, for the last hour of my sleep I used a foam exercise mat my friend gave me and it was a vast improvement. I still think I can improve the installation further with a better quality mat. It's a shame the polish army mat is so bulky, otherwise I'd definitely buy it.

Another thing which is possible but I couldn't do yesterday because I didn't have paracord, is to completely envelop the hammock in the Jerven bag, the bag is more than big enough but I would need to make a second ridgeline higher than the first ridgeline so that the bottom of the jerven bag is tight to the bottom of the hammock.

So effectively it would be a hammock inside a tent!

I also need better socks and a better baselayer, sharpish.

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I also need better socks and a better baselayer, sharpish.

Yeah, scrap the cotton baselayers-polycotton at least.

I've tested cotton baselayers against wool/polypropylene/polyester in exactly the same outers and gear set-ups and it vastly underperforms IME.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
i agree. can't see the point myself of lugging so much stuff around just to stay warm, it's cold so use a tent. simples.

Even with a tent you need a sleeping bad and installation from the ground, a tent is more bulky where as my hammock fits in to a small stuff sack.

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Even with a tent you need a sleeping bad and installation from the ground, a tent is more bulky where as my hammock fits in to a small stuff sack.

I found that between my tarp, bivvi bag, sleeping bag and thermorest that in my tent is both lighter and warmer. The tent weighs within a few grams of the tarp and the bivvy. Packs about the same and has pretty much the same messing /admin area. I use the same thermorest in both setups, but less clothes in the tent so it actually packs lighter.

granted you dont get the same view, but then again also less mossis and chiggers.

if its cold tent, if its warm outside.

if youve got to carry a jerven bag, underquilts and multiple layers etc just to stay warm in a hammock then the basic q has to be asked. Why use a hammock.

Anyhow i must be right as i heard uncle ray say it one cold night.:cool:

john

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
hi, i have a mosquito hammock and i bought the snugpack under blanket and top quilt and im very happy with the setup used it 3 times so far:) last weekend rain/hail down to 2c looking forward to the winter. the reflected heat / heat retention from the under blanket is very inpressive. also found that i did not have to get up for a p in the night. i think this is due to me maintaining a constant body temp and not getting cold in the middle of the night.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
I found that between my tarp, bivvi bag, sleeping bag and thermorest that in my tent is both lighter and warmer. The tent weighs within a few grams of the tarp and the bivvy. Packs about the same and has pretty much the same messing /admin area. I use the same thermorest in both setups, but less clothes in the tent so it actually packs lighter.

granted you dont get the same view, but then again also less mossis and chiggers.

if its cold tent, if its warm outside.

if youve got to carry a jerven bag, underquilts and multiple layers etc just to stay warm in a hammock then the basic q has to be asked. Why use a hammock.

Anyhow i must be right as i heard uncle ray say it one cold night.:cool:

john

I'm just using a jerven bag and a exercise foam mat, no underquilt. My layers of clothing are the same day and night. I do agree there is a point if you find yourself carrying loads of stuff just specifically for the hammock, then it's time to question whether is a better option. The stuff that I carry is good for hammock or ground dwelling, there is room for hammocks and tents in camping. Personally when I can't set up a hammock I prefer just to sleep on the ground with the jerven bag using only the tarp if necessary.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
I've got a thermarest z-lite foam mat, it's comfy and will be a better insulator but on the minus side it's bulky. I have a trip coming up in a few weeks, I'm not sure whether I will take it with me.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
I'm in France at the moment, I used the hammock last night and it was minus 2, I u and used the thermarest z lite under me and used the king size jerven as a top quilt, ( I was too tired to get inside the bag). It worked well but the foam mat is definitely the key, the areas that the foam mat did not cover in the hammock were freezing cold. I'm very glad I decided to bring that foam mat.

Jul 18, 2012
Cornwall
Hi there

This is my first post, so please don't be gentle.

I have recently bought a TW Green Hornet Hammock and once I can see it again on Christmas Day, I will want to make an underquilt. I have read this thread with interest and have also read a lot on the tinternet.

I have a sleeping bag and I also have the contents of a duck feather and down single quilt. Do you think that if I open up one end of the sleeping bag and fill it with the feathers, sew it back up and then sew lines in the bag to keep the feathers from moving, will It will work out ok for an underquilt.

Cheers Neil

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Hi there

This is my first post, so please don't be gentle.

I have recently bought a TW Green Hornet Hammock and once I can see it again on Christmas Day, I will want to make an underquilt. I have read this thread with interest and have also read a lot on the tinternet.

I have a sleeping bag and I also have the contents of a duck feather and down single quilt. Do you think that if I open up one end of the sleeping bag and fill it with the feathers, sew it back up and then sew lines in the bag to keep the feathers from moving, It will work out ok for an underquilt.

Cheers Neil

Can you not just use the single quilt as your under quilt, or is it too late?

Jul 18, 2012
Cornwall
Hi mountainm

No its not too late, I was just wondering whether just a sleeping bag would have enough insulation on its own once opened out and modded.

Cheers Neil

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
To be honest, once you factor your time into the equation, it doesn't really add up making your own - hope you'll be nice and warm once it arrives!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE