How to keep warm in a hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
I slept out in my DD camping hammock last night.I used a 3/4" inflatable mat along with a cheap closed cell mat and my army arctic bag.
I was getting cold spots around my back so i put my snugpak pile shirt under me and i was fine.It was a cold night -3.
Picture749.jpg

Definitely thinking about a underblanket still tho.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I tend to use a 3/4 inflatable mat and a decent sleeping bag (vango down bag, think its a venom or a snugpack elite - both cost me about £90 after lots of online browsing).

If i know its going to be cold i take along a poncho liner (think quilted blanket) which packs down nice and small in a stuff sack.
I usuall wrap it about 3 times round my mat rather than slinging under the hammock as i have a henessey with the bottom opening and i find it restricts getting in and out but though it is undoubtedly warmer than my method mine seems to works ok, at least until about -3 which is all have tested it up to.

Cheers, Hamster

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I spent 8 or 10 nights over the last winter carp fishing at night, but sleeping in my hammock... temps down to -6°C. Never once got cold.
Set up was a DD Travel Hammock, Snugpak underblanket, Army arctic down sleeping bag (centre zip, used upside down as a top quilt.)
I always sleep dressed, in layered clothing. (Long sleeve 'Hottogs' top, micro fleece, and Trakker pile smock top...Craghopper winter trousers and thick wool mix socks. A fleece hat completes the garments for a toasty night.) The bags and quilt just act as extra layers. You can feel the space inside warming up.
As an aside, I'm extremely impressed with how warm the Snugpak underblanket has kept me. I've enven slept out to below freezing with just a light Highlander Ranger 3 season bag, and not felt at all cold. With the shock chord drawn tightly, the quilt is almost like a cocoon, and really does keep you warm.

anyway I was warmer this way than in a bedchair with my traditional sleeping bag.
cheers
Gareth

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I have read the previous threads talking about dressing to sleep, but from trial and error I've yet to be convinced.

I don't want to re-open that debate here as it's on the forum elsewhere but I find that layers are essential.
My sleeping bag is a cheap 4 season one from GoOutdoors and I find that 3am is when I'm hit by the cold too. When I wear fresh thermal top and bottoms and then PJ's I'm toastie! Otherwise, thermal outfit and my gelert fleece bag liner is just as comfy.

I'm off to the RV this weekend and I'm going to try using an old sleeping bag as an underquilt in my DD hammock. It's all trial and error for me at the moment and I want to keep weight down without spending on a new down bag just yet.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Forgot to add.
I'm told I don't dress correctly for hammock sleeping so tonight I have on clean socks, thermal long-johns and thermal top.
I'll know by the morning but it is a lovely mild night here in Abergavenny.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.761332,-3.001227

Oh it was you that I walked past with the dog the other night! Nice little fire you had going, and a nice discreet set up. I walk the canal towpath there most nights with the dog, and I've never seen anyone use those woods before apart from outward bounds groups of kids.

Nearly came over to say hello. :)

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I'm a pretty cold sleeper in a hammock and have had a few VERY cold nights in my hammock. The coldest was using a pacific outdoor aerogel self inflating mat, half inflated and a woodlore golden eagle sleeping bag. The temp got to -6 or thereabouts and I can honestly say I have never been as cold in my life.

I now have a ukhammocks underblanket overstuffed to 600g of down and still use the golden eagle. I have only used this setup once this year when the temp went below freezing (roughly -3) and I was extremely toasty.

Imo closed cell mats and self inflating mats are good to about +2 but I now wouldn't even think about not using an underblanket below these temperatures after a night in a good one :)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Interesting. I slept in a hammock in -7 degrees, without the protection of a tarp, using just a closed cell foam mat inside a summer synthetic sleeping bag as an undermat, and then lying in a winter weeight down bag. No underquilt. I was toasty warm.

I think that what works for one person may not work for another. My companion that trip used a down underquilt and was cold.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
A properly rigged UQ should be more comfortable than a mat but not easy to rig properly which could be why your friend got cold

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
I'm a pretty cold sleeper in a hammock and have had a few VERY cold nights in my hammock. The coldest was using a pacific outdoor aerogel self inflating mat, half inflated and a woodlore golden eagle sleeping bag. The temp got to -6 or thereabouts and I can honestly say I have never been as cold in my life.

I now have a ukhammocks underblanket overstuffed to 600g of down and still use the golden eagle. I have only used this setup once this year when the temp went below freezing (roughly -3) and I was extremely toasty.

Imo closed cell mats and self inflating mats are good to about +2 but I now wouldn't even think about not using an underblanket below these temperatures after a night in a good one :)

Anything that inflats is no use to me, once the mat gets punctured it's game over.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE