How to keep warm in a hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
In one of my earlier posts I stated my dislike for hammocks, however since that time I have used my hennesy hammock on a beach in Thailand for two weeks. The hammock was brilliant, very comfortable, the zipped mossi net on the hammock kept the mosquitoes at bay and I have kept dry in the stormiest weather.

However when I came back to this country and started using it at night, the hammock has been freezing cold, ok my Tesco's sleeping bag is probably not sufficient but sleeping in the hammock was definietly colder than I thought it would be.

Anybody got some low budget ideas of how to keep the hammock warm?

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
i think most folk buy or make thick underblanket tae stop your body heat leaching away. but thats too bulky for me so tis just a matter or tying a wool blanket underneath and putting a foam mat in the hammock with some wool blankets. iv thought of taking hot rocks fae a fire and putting them underneath too. nae tested it though! and of course a hot water bottle? or three?

nae much experience with hammocks but im sure they would help somewhat

Hamish

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
The problem is that the bottom of the sleeping bag is squashed against the bottom of the hammock so losing its loft and insulative qualities.

Underblankets, which wrap around the outside of the hammock, are the best solution, but you could try a foam mat inside under the bag (slips around in the night) or a sheepskin or even reindeer skin mat if you have them. As Hamish said, wool blankets would be worth a go too.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Can't say I've ever been cold in a hammock... not!
An underquilt/underblanket is the way forward. I made a cheap one from an old sleeping bag and although it's a bit bulky, it works pretty well. Basically, anything you can get underneath you will help but as mentioned, mats aren't ideal as they can slip around a bit

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
You can do a mod on a couple of closed cell Foam mats to turn it into more of a boat shape with side flaps - this is the lightest and cheapest option. (if somewhat bulky). There's a link around here somewhere explaining it all.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Deffo underblanket. I've used a cocoon by itself to about 5c (just in my undies) but wouldn't want to take it much lower. A decent doss bag and a decent (warm, not expensive) UB and possibly a mat depending on how warm you sleep, should see you ok to -10c.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A fairly stiff foam mat - sized to your hammock which usually means coffin shaped - will give warmth, avoid the "sausage skin" feel of a tight hammock by spreading the fabric a bit and be easy to carry.
Square footed foam mats tend top pop out at the foot end of the hammock and if the mat is too short it will tend to slide to the foot end of the hammock.
At least that is my finding :)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The underblanket is a really good way to keep warm in a hammock. If your hammock hass two layers of fabric (some of them do...), a partially inflated Thermarest also works well and gives you a greater number of sleeping options if you don't want to dangle in trhe trees. The Thermarest thing is generally less bulky and lighter in weight than an underblanket set-up.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
The foam mat is definitely a no go, too bulky. I like keeping my rucksack as light as possible, a compressed underblanket could be the answer, I am also considering bubblewrap, I'm not sure how that would work out.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I love my down underquilts, they are the best things ever for keeping a hammock warm and pack down smaller than anything else but are never cheap. I make my own but they still work out at £60 all in for my smallest 3 season down quilt.

Closed cell foam mats are second best, but actually provide more warmth for weight than down. Add to that you can still use them on the ground too. Used in between layers, they are fine. In a single layer, they are a pain as John points out-they pop out. This can be partly remedied by putting blobs of silicone sealant on the mat in strategic places to give 'grip'.

Fot the budget option, look at Hammock forums/google for the 'Segmented Pad Extender' or 'SPE'-its basically a foam mat with wings stuck on with gaffer tape to give shoulder coverage. The cheap mats from supermarkets are fine. These really work.

One normal 1/4" foam mat keeps me comfy down to around 8c. I've regularly been down to well below -10c when I used to use them stacked and side by side in pre underquilt years in my double layer DD Travel hammock. The cheap foam windcreen reflectors are great too and weigh 70g each.

Another budget option is make your own Underquilt from an old sleeping bag. Again, theres lots of plans and help on Hammock Forums and on here too.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Probably the most efficient method would be to buil a small fire under the hammock. But that would create problems of its own.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
i think most folk buy or make thick underblanket tae stop your body heat leaching away. but thats too bulky for me so tis just a matter or tying a wool blanket underneath and putting a foam mat in the hammock with some wool blankets

My 3 season underquilt packs into a 3L dry bag, I'd like to see you get numerous wool blankets and a foam mat in the same bag :)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I'm very fond of my kids old sheepkin rugs- any moisture that does condense out/ high air humidity seems to get wicked away from underneath :) I'm certified tighter than a gnats chuff and am a wuss so I have a converted jungle bag underquilt for me and my son, if its cold I leave him home and use both on my hammock and was just toastie at -4 :) I keep the mossie net over to trap a wee bit of warmth in and have the jungle bags hat, trimmed with an old fur coat, on in bed like a nightcap :) Absolutely cushtie with it all in use, but its not lightweight!

Oh, I sleep under a single duvet with my chairs reindeer hide over me too :)

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
Spent my first night in a hammock last night, I had a foam mat and a wool blanket underneath. Initially was ok temperature wise apart from my face, but early this morning was freezing! (was fully clothed with a wooly hat.)
Will definately be looking at an underquilt and a larger sleeping bag, felt very restricted in my bag but on the whole strangley enjoyed the experience!:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE