Robens Trace Ultimate Hammock set-up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
From the outset, I apologise for the lack of photographs to illustrate my review but, when out giving it a try, I had neither 'phone nor camera with me!

https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/robens-trace-ultimate-hammock-set-63060-p.asp

I hope the above link works so that you can see the set-up that I ordered and have tried.

Tarp and hammock is most definitely my preferred way of sleeping out, as I love the flexibility of what you can do with both. I had hoped that this Robens iteration was add to the possibilities offered me by my Warbonnet hammock and one or other of the tarps I own.

Certainly, it is well-made: the hammock fabric is light and the tarp seems to be of a suitably burly fabric; the underblanket feels as though it would keep my kidneys warm when suspended between trees. I had watched the Robens video about putting it up and, true enough, it was easy enough to do. The daisy-chains on that link the hammock to the trees were very good, offering a degree of flexibility while also feeling secure. The cordage supplied for the prussik loops on the ridge line did eventually 'bite' and hold the tarp in place but that is where my concerns began: the tarp does not cover the gathered end of the hammock. This is not a deal breaker if you only camp out in fine weather but, from bitter experience, it is definitely not something I would wish to see in my sleeping equipment.

The video also showed grommets and tape loops midway along the length of the edge of the tarp; on my tarp, these were absent.

I have always enjoyed using the other bits and bobs made by Robens that are in my kit cupboard but I feel that, for me at least, this tarp-hammock-underblanket set-up is not going to suit my purposes. It was, perhaps, a little unfair to pitch it against the Warbonnet equivalent that I'm used to but I hoped that it might just provide me with an alternative, maybe for those nights closer to home. Sadly, I don't think it will.

The Bushcraft Store were efficiency itself in getting the Trace hammock and underblanket to me, so many thanks to them for their service.

Overall, then, I am not fully impressed and will happily send the tarp, hammock and underblanket to any interested party for, say, £70 (less than half the cost of it new) + postage to a mainland U.K. address. If you're interested, drop me a p.m..

Richard

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Absolutely! The fact that you're also getting the underblanket thrown in makes £70 seem stupidly reasonable but then, having set it up and spent one night in it, I know that I won't use it again. Someone else ought to benefit from it.

Didlav

Aug 7, 2022
Bristol, UK
Hello,
I am very interested in buying the whole set from you, as I’d like to start sleeping out in a hammock rather than a tent.
I have just seen this thread and created an account to be able to reply… I’m still trying to find out how to send a pm
But first of all: is the set still available ?

Best,
Didier

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I have just seen this thread and created an account to be able to reply… I’m still trying to find out how to send a pm
As a new member you're restricted on certain things such as sending PM's until you've got about 10 or so posts under your belt.

Hopefully @Tiley will see your post and respond to your question.

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
Hello,
I am very interested in buying the whole set from you, as I’d like to start sleeping out in a hammock rather than a tent.
But first of all: is the set still available ?

Best,
Didier
Hi there and apologies for the name change on my part - I forgot the password to my old one! However, where you read 'Tiley' is now 'Springchicken'!

The set is still available, if you are still interested.

I look forward to hearing from you, should you wish to take the plunge!

Best wishes,
Richard

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've sent a password reset Emil to you for Tiley. If you reset your PW we'll merge the two accounts, you've had this second one for 17 years!!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Many thanks, Tony. I have reset the password and imagine that the two accounts are fused!

17 years! I had no idea I'd been following the forum for that long! I think my skills have improved over the time, thanks to many and varied contributors, but I still know I've a huge amount to learn! Here's to the next 17 years!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE