HFW on TV ( fish wasted )

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
not sure if this is the right place to post ( fish is food after all ) MODs feel free to move :)

anyone watching HFW at the moment ?

the criminal waste of those fish is breathtaking !!

can someone explain the quota system to me ?

Glad to see someone taking on this cause ( it's about time ! ) i'm SO cross at the waste !!

( rant over...sorry )

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I know, being from the North East of Scotland I am well aware of this waste. As far as I understand it, they can only catch a set amount of any one species (set by Brussells) and only have a limited time in which to do it. Anything they catch after they have reached their quota must be discarded.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge might pop along shortly and keep me right....

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i cannot tell you guys how utterly disgusted i am at what i'm seeing !

please don't think this is a political thing on my part, it's not.

conservation, sustainability, food chain balance, jobs, ....the list goes on.

is there anything that can be done that would not be seen as a political fight ?

any ideas and i'm really up for helping.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
disgusting, irresponsible rape of the wild while parading under an umberella of authority. with soo much waste being sanctioned how can any EU country discuss aid to foreign countries when we can chuck all that lot over to rot?

if they want to quota it all then the total catch should be graded and used, let people who know how to do their jobs repsonsibly and ethically, do them!

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
yep!!! it boils my p**s , just caught an episode of `Trawlermen` not sure how recent it was - But one of the guys is facing financial ruin -because of the massive fine the goverment gave him for selling fish over his quoter !!!!!! Had to re -mortgage everything -house - boat the lot going to take 10 - 15 years to get pay off and get back to where he is now !!!

The fish are dead by the time they land them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what is the point of throwing them back ??????????????????

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Restricted quota's where designed to protect the species, and to have some control over when they can be caught... such as restriction during breeding season ect.

But that was about as well thought out as moblie speed camera's, and their intention to keep us safe, rather than become cash-cow's.

Its an utterly bonkers world sometimes.

al.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
It would help if people learned that it's alright to eat fidh other than cod, haddock and turbot then more of the catch could be used.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
It would help if people learned that it's alright to eat fidh other than cod, haddock and turbot then more of the catch could be used.

it is strange that we only eat a limited type of fish in this country when there are so many varied and delicious fish out there, granted some looks like some weird alien beings but they still taste great!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset

I've never understood how fish and chip shops can take a nice piece of cod and cover it in batter.
Better off using a dogfish, pollack, coalie or even pout, all you can taste is batter anyway. Horrible stuff.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There was a series 'Trawlermen' something like that and one captain of a fishing boat said why don't these people, scientists and the like come and fish with us, there is cod everywhere and we are not allowed to land it, just throw it back dead into the water.

I've no idea if indeed cod is abundant but I suspect that their stock levels are not as bad as some would have you think.

Crazy planet we live on (or the people are anyway).

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Beam trawl and scallop dreadge both catch fish other than what they are specifically aiming for alot of which is injured or killed in the process and chucked back.
As for Cod there seems to be two views on this, one that stocks are very low and need to be left to recover,and the other is there is still lots and we should continue,depnds who you believe.

trixx

Jul 14, 2010
Scotland
The current discards system is absolutely criminal, and the EC Fisheries policy is institutionalised madness.

The whole thing is a political carve-up with no basis in reality - grubby, corrupt, grasping national politics at its worst. The fishery plan should be put together using the best estimates of the fisheries scientists, but unfortunately reality comes a distant second to political horse-trading. Those responsible need to be strung up by their testicles and slapped with dead codfish until they see sense.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i was distgusted too but i cant help thinking if they did set fishing time limits and no quotas i reckon there would still be some fisherman discarding not so good nets in favour of getting more demanded or higher priced catches and possibly still producing huge discards as it couldnt really be policed. Not sure what the answer is but anything better than the current system would be a start. Personally i find cod quite bland and prefer other species but i guess i am in a minority of people who dont mind boney fish. People are programmed to eat nice white bone free flakes. You cant beat mackerel for flavour or sardines/pilchards (not going into that arguement lol)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Quite, next time your in a Fish and Chip shop try something different.
Strangely in my local, there's no price difference..

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i'm actually going to ask if my local fancies trying mackerel. mackies are some of the best fish ever, the way they do em on the program is brill too, simple and quick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE