Government consultation on banning large knives and machetes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 5, 2010
London
Today the Government launches its public consultation on banning large knives and machetes and four other anti knife crime measures. The link to the consultation may be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/…cles-proposed-legislation

The online survey can be found here:

https://www.homeofficesurveys.…v.uk/s/knife-legislation/

It only lasts 7 weeks and ends on 6 June.

Please take part in this consultation. You can guarantee that the police, victims groups and others who support this ban, or would like to go for a much wider ban, will be responding. If we want our interests to be represented then we need to take part. The last big consultation around the Offensive Weapons Act 2019 saw 10,712 responses.

But it won’t make any difference? Actually responding to consultations does help shape the outcome. When the ban on curved swords came in 2008, the only reason we can still own curved swords made by traditional methods, and that there are defences relating to sporting and religious uses, is because the public raised concerns around legitimate reasons for owning curved swords. Many of the defences in the Offensive Weapons Act 2019 are also there because the public raised their concerns via the consultation process.

But I don’t own a zombie / fantasy type knife or machete, why should I care? If you read what the police have been saying in the media and forums around this subject, it’s clear they would like a total ban on all machetes and knives over a certain length. This would see all large bladed knives, kukris, parangs, billhooks, scythes, nata, hunting knives etc. banned. The police do not accept that there are legitimate reasons to own large bladed tools. What the Government is initially proposing with this ban on fantasy type stuff is a lot less than what most police want. You can guarantee the police and others will be making this point in their responses to the consultation.

Question 5 in the consultation (explained on page 6 of the document) is asking about what uses there actually are for all machetes and large knives in the UK today (not just the fantasy types). It’s likely the answers or lack of answers to that question will be used as evidence that there is no real need for machetes / large knives and this could lead to a wider ban now or be used to support a wider ban in the future. So even if you don’t own an “Anglo Arms Long Reach Machete” or similar, but would like to be able to still cut down brambles in your garden with your Martindale, or enjoy using your parang or large camp knife for bushcrafting, please do take part.

At the moment this is most likely to impact on those who collect fantasy / movie type knives, but depending on where they set the starting length will have a big impact on how many items fall in to scope. If it’s 8” and depending on what features they choose, a lot of part serrated knives and even some kitchen knives may fall in to scope. If it’s 10” less will fall in scope. If set at 8” or 9” many Rambo knives will likely fall in to scope.

But I don’t want my name published? Although you have to give your details to respond, there is an option you can select for this to be anonymous, so your name is not published.

But if I respond the deep state will put me on a watch list and MI6 drones will hover permanently over my house and I will be scanned by the 5G network until they come to seize my collection? No, anyone who has any experience with policing will tell you this does not happen and the police / government have more things to worry about than carrying out surveillance on people who respond to a consultation. If the drones are watching you, it’s because you have done something else!

What else can I do? Please share the link. If the ban is extended wider, then this will impact on any job or pastime where a large bladed tool is used to clear undergrowth, so please share with any other groups or individuals you think might be interested. Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Agriculture, Farming, Gardening, Bushcrafting, Camping etc.

Secondly, one of the best things you can do is email your MP listing your concerns and ask them to raise your concerns with the Minister for Crime, Policing and Fire (Currently - Rt Hon Chris Philp MP) or the Home Secretary (Currently Rt Hon Suella Braverman KC MP).

If you don’t know who your MP is or their email address, you can find out here:https://members.parliament.uk/FindYourMP

Bear in mind we are in a politically active time. There will shortly be local council elections and next year a general election . The Conservatives are desperate for good news stories about what they have done to be tough on crime and banning machetes is a relatively cheap quick win for them (compared to other issues like immigration etc). If Labour get in at the next general election (likely) they will be scrabbling to distance themselves from the previous Government’s policies and may well want to be seen to be tougher and do the thing the previous Government were too soft to do etc. Implying that you usually vote for them but won’t if they ban your (long bladed tool of choice) may get their attention.

The ban is only one of the 5 measures. I notice that for one of the others they are proposing that the police should be able, if they are in your home, to be able to seize and have destroyed any bladed item (including totally legal ones) if they have a reasonable belief it will be used in crime. This is actually quite a serious infringement of your right to enjoy your own property and people may face their legally held property being seized and destroyed on the basis of something they haven’t done yet! (And we thought Pre-Crime solely existed in the realms of science fiction!). While I understand their case studies, in practice what will probably happen is someone has a noisy argument with their wife / husband and a nosy neighbour calls the police. They come in for a “moment” and the next thing you know that person’s entire collection and their kitchen knives end up in the furnace, to protect wife / husband from the imminent domestic violence they think is about to happen. What could possibly go wrong with that power….

Please do respond to the consultation.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I really do wish that fantasy knives were not a thing as they are being used as an excuse for banning proper stuff. To my mind the industry has been pandering to idiots because there is a profit to be made, and now we will all be forced to suffer. I have responded to the questionnaire even though I found it to be full of leading questions and quite ludicrous. The problem is also lawyers and narrow minded bigots who bend the ordinary meaning of words and descriptions to secure a specific outcome such as the problem with "gravity knives" at customs for example. These people should be forced to eat nothing but prepared meals and have to use their nails and teeth to open the packages. I would have them cut their hair and nails with rubber scissors just to teach them how essential blades are to everyday living.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I agree.

I’ve filled in the survey. Happy to put my details in too. The wording and nomenclature leaves lots of scope for stretching the definition.

My feeling is that the amount of time and money spent campaigning and “consulting” on these sorts of topics would be better spent on recruiting and training law enforcement better.

Threatening someone with a weapon is already illegal. I am cynical enough to think it is an just exercise in being seen to do something.

I am shocked that they did manage to get the phrase “lessons have been learnt” in somewhere…..

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
My grivel ice axes look pretty intimidating have a straight edge on the adze plus serrated edge on the pick and more than two holes in the “blade”. I just don’t threaten people with them.

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
I really do wish that fantasy knives were not a thing as they are being used as an excuse for banning proper stuff.
Meh... I honestly don't see a massive difference between someone wanting to do things the way that Klingons or Hobbits do and someone who wants to have the skills of a Saxon or Viking. As long as they're doing it without annoying or threatening anyone else.

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
I think most stabbings are done with kitchen knives......laws are already in place it is illegal to carry fixed blade without good cause ......it is illegal to stab someone without good cause just in force the laws jail for a long time in solitary no mixing with your mates glorifying in what you did ......

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
How many times do we have to put up with headline grabbing "legislation" whilst ignoring the real issue. It is not the inanimate tool that kills people its the misguided person using it. This ban will only affect the law abiding people and not the criminals who care not for law.

The tool will simply change to a hammer, kitchen knife, billhook etc etc. Poverty, lack of opportunity and education is the problem that needs solving.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
How many times do we have to put up with headline grabbing "legislation" whilst ignoring the real issue. It is not the inanimate tool that kills people its the misguided person using it. This ban will only affect the law abiding people and not the criminals who care not for law.

The tool will simply change to a hammer, kitchen knife, billhook etc etc. Poverty, lack of opportunity and education is the problem that needs solving.
I can imagine the next big thing being combat shovels, you know folding shovels with sharpened and serrated edges, the local chav warriors will all be carrying them as de rigeur kit.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Screenshot_20230418-202534_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ban them in cities. Leave the rest of us to get on with using our tools safely and preserving rural skills and culture.

Reactions: plastic-ninja
Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
That’s how I aimed my argument. The issues lie in high populated areas. I also mentioned how it’s not best practise to use machinery in bird nesting season to manage habitats.

Bearmont

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2022
Germany
The issue isn't knives, it's crime. These kinds of changes of legislation always seem to go in one direction. More restrictions. Good luck, UK! It's not *quite as bad* here but we're having the same kinds of discussions that are either missing the point (because it's an uncomfortable point) or they happen in bad faith. Who knows.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
That’s how I aimed my argument. The issues lie in high populated areas. I also mentioned how it’s not best practise to use machinery in bird nesting season to manage habitats.
Being as I am a bit of a greenie, I also mentioned that power tools are not climate change friendly and that training in the proper use of traditional tools would be a tremendous boost for environment as well as personal esteem.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Guns don't kill people, rappers do, I heard it in a documentary on BBC 2!

Sorry, distracted by the idea that knives kill ppl when instead of blaming the wrong thing the powers that be should look to root causes of knife crime. Isn't poverty, gangs and similar involved. Then didn't Glasgow employ public health theory or practises to reduce knife crime with some success.

From a work viewpoint, will such a law affect the knives we use at work? We have big machetes and knives made with old band saw type of blades with a roughly made handles. These are what works for the various processes at work believe it or not.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Banning them is cities is basically what happens when you ban them in public spaces. I guess that'll be part of the proposed law somewhere. I mean you're not going to get enforcement in a private residence or open countryside unless you're unlucky.

Spokesman from a knife crime campaign charity on tv said that the majority of knife crimes were carried out with a zombie knife according to research. I always thought it was kitchen knives or some kind of legitimate carry knives. Either he's giving false statements to promote a pov or my understanding is wrong / situation changed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE