• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 26, 2023
Herefordshire
Hi all, this is my first real post. Introduced myself in the other thread as is the custom and I must say got a warm welcome, so thanks guys I appreciate that :)

I started uploading videos last year to my youtube channel after I got the best footage I could have hoped for of a Kingfisher. I was at a low point, so decided to go on a mission and it really felt like it was meant to be. It really lifted me.

They've always been scarce when I was near rivers and my first sighting of one was only in 2015 on the Leeds Liverpool canal! Since then as you can see, I've seen a few on the Wye. Hope you like it, it still makes me smile watching it back :)

This one is a similar story for me. Didn't see a Jay until again 2014-15, on a motion capture camera I put on my window bird table. I remember seeing the footage and thinking "WHAT IS THAT!" haha I knew what Jays were but just seeing it on my window ledge there, was a moment for sure! The footage I got of the Jays in the cherry tree here was from inside a B&B near Cheltenham, while I was actually looking for another creature entirely. I was almost as happy about this as I was the Kingfisher catching!

Herons, we've all seen them, but AGAIN in 2015 I was walking back into my bedroom on the Canal and out the window was a heron stood on the tow path. I carefully picked up my camera, thinking it'll fly off in a second, but it was stalking a fish and I cannot believe I got that hunt/catch footage with an 8 megapixel camera!

I'm not as happy with the editing job I did on this one. I think I've got better since then. It's still a pleasant video I think. Let me know what you think guys:

This one was on a wander along the Wye a couple of weeks ago and I put up my new hammock for a couple of hours and had a brew, listening to the birds singing and the wind in the trees. Just so peaceful. I hope someone finds it helpful to relax to :)

I filmed this one just over a week ago. Walked about 9 miles with a 10kg pack (got lighter as I got through my 5l of water) and put my hammock up in the woods on a hill. It was fairly windy but I checked everywhere for deadfall threats and set up where there were no large trees. Didn't have to talk to anyone the whole day! Bonus haha

Reactions: Kadushu and cbrdave
Mar 26, 2023
Herefordshire
Finally for today, from the same day up the hill, I made this walking stick video. Sitting there making it was the most peace I've known for a while so thought it might help others relax too:

Anyway, thank you for taking a look and I hope you get some enjoyment out of it all. Any feedback is welcome and I appreciate it. Cheers!

Reactions: cbrdave and Dogoak

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Lovely stuff, well done you.
Kingfishers are odd things, eh?
I see them infrequently but whenever I do it always catches me by surprise, and will a highlight of the day.
Not sure I have, or ever could, go out thinking, 'right, today I am going to get a picture of a kingfisher!' Many other things, some very rare, and I reckon I'd have a fighting chance. But kingfishers...it's always a surprise and I get caught out.

Reactions: Prometheus_Beard
Mar 26, 2023
Herefordshire
Lovely stuff, well done you.
Kingfishers are odd things, eh?
I see them infrequently but whenever I do it always catches me by surprise, and will a highlight of the day.
Not sure I have, or ever could, go out thinking, 'right, today I am going to get a picture of a kingfisher!' Many other things, some very rare, and I reckon I'd have a fighting chance. But kingfishers...it's always a surprise and I get caught out.
Thanks! No, I agree, they are magical and always amazing when seen.

I didn't go out to take kingfisher footage, but when I saw it flit across in front of me I steered myself to gently do a 180 to face it on the perch and pushed my kayak against the shore with the paddle and was being bobbed about the entire time I filmed it with the wind pushing me off the bank and a load of cows with calves to my left, wondering what I was haha

It was honestly just a once in a lifetime moment for me :) really blew me away. Felt it was only right to share it. I now know it has actually made a lot of people smile and that makes me so happy.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
That kingfisher is spectacular! My favourite bird. I'm lucky to get a momentary glimpse once or twice a year along my local river. They sure do have an emotional impact when you do see them, even a glimpse, let alone watching them for so long.
Well done. Certainly cheered up a gloomy rain soaked day having to sort years worth of paperwork stored in cardboard boxes, in a mad moment of spring cleaning, as I can't get into the garden.!

Mar 26, 2023
Herefordshire
That kingfisher is spectacular! My favourite bird. I'm lucky to get a momentary glimpse once or twice a year along my local river. They sure do have an emotional impact when you do see them, even a glimpse, let alone watching them for so long.
Well done. Certainly cheered up a gloomy rain soaked day having to sort years worth of paperwork stored in cardboard boxes, in a mad moment of spring cleaning, as I can't get into the garden.!
Thanks for that, I'm glad it cheered you up a bit. There is something about them, words just don't cover.

I actually have the exact task saved up for a, not rainy day as I love rain, but a stupidly sunny day when I'd just burn like a vampire if I went out haha

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Years ago, my grandma had a little Swiss chalet on her dressing table and there were a man and a woman that used to come out of it. A woman with a washing basket full of washing if it was to be fine, and a chap in lederhosen with a brolly if it was to be wet...a sort of novelty barometer. Sounds like we could take their places. :) :)
Personaly I don't mind rain..but my arthritic bones have other ideas!

Mar 26, 2023
Herefordshire
Years ago, my grandma had a little Swiss chalet on her dressing table and there were a man and a woman that used to come out of it. A woman with a washing basket full of washing if it was to be fine, and a chap in lederhosen with a brolly if it was to be wet...a sort of novelty barometer. Sounds like we could take their places. :) :)
Personaly I don't mind rain..but my arthritic bones have other ideas!
haha yeah, I think I've seen those. Pretty cool little things to see as a kid. Like some grim fairy tale beginning :)

Mar 26, 2023
Herefordshire
New video up! "Deer", with Vaughn Williams soundtrack. Only 1min 30secs long as not got much deer footage that is worth using. Usually too dark or they're moving too fast behind partial cover. Hope you like it :)

Mar 26, 2023
Herefordshire
Dunnocks! (And the longest mating display I've ever seen!)

This one I filmed a few years ago from my kitchen window, on a flat roof, which has now sadly been cleared. So enjoy :)

Mar 26, 2023
Herefordshire
I joined this forum because I thought you guys would love seeing my wildlife footage. Yes it's a bushcraft forum, but I use a lot of bushcraft knowledge to get a lot of my shots, spending a lot of time alone in forests etc.

On my channel I've stayed away from it really, as there's so many channels about bushcraft already.

I'm working on something now which I haven't seen anyone else do. I hope it is well recieved by people. I just want to have a positive impact on the world before I leave it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE