Lightweight Overnight Camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
With my bag packed and with a last minute change of plan, I threw my pack in the van and headed off to the start point...

My route would be a circular one. The initial plan did include my wife dropping me off and then picking me up again the following day, but plans change so now I was self sufficient.

Arriving at the village start point, I found a parking spot and shouldered my pack. My fully loaded pack, including food, water and phone weighed in at a rather nice 6.7kg. Its the lightest pack weight I've ever carried. With the sun shining, I hit the first footpath across the fields....

8c6e439d1e642e362bd96376816dbf9a.jpg

As I walked, the light breeze kept me cool. I had shunned the usual camping clothing and opted for running shorts and a synthetic wicking tshirt. Footwear was a pair of trail runners with light wool socks. I had still to replace my trusty Fjallraven cap so I felt the sun in my head the whole day. Fortunately, that breeze kept me cool. Before long, the lovely clear path across the fields turned into a jungle...

ff3ff425b87f3d7afac7d1a4f7c1297c.jpg

I pushed through, feeling the scrape of dry grass against my shins. It didn't last long, and upon crossing a style into a grass field I was met by some really very friendly little sheep, one of which relaxed her chin into my hand for a tickle...

b04156fef6d39810c697925b85b6bf73.jpg

The sheep cheered me up more than I expected them to and I moved on with a smile on my face, happy to have spent a brief moment in time with those friendly little ladies. Some distance on, the fields ended and I took to the tarmac for a kilometre.

699dc61de02f013aaa5eba733fd9aed5.jpg

The wind abated and I felt the sweat on my back. With my pack being so light I realised that I was coasting along at a fair pace and enjoying myself. I rejoined the fields not long after, heading for a canal path. Once on it, I really felt myself moving. So much so, I genuinely contemplated breaking into a little jog!. But then I reminded myself that I was only an hour or so into a 25km day, so I checked my enthusiasm and let my natural walking pace continue.

Walking alongside the canal was easy walking and I took the time to look about, taking in the nature. This route isn't heavily used and the wild life was carrying on with life without the usual flutter and panic when I passed by. Everything looked vibrant in the sun.

8688a11784b6ad3920a42f4497de7905.jpg

This little family drifted with me for a hundred yards before taking shade under the bushes that overhang the far bank.

0cee774886f2bfc76828f63e9e3b9682.jpg

Feeling the sweat on my forehead, a bench looked inviting, so I sat down to take a slurp of water and have a snack.

c9eadb140c467154bbf4287dfae76495.jpg

The convenient gap in the reeds gave me a nice calm view of the canal as I rested. I carry a small Patagonia hip pack, in which I keep my phone, bank card, van keys and trail snacks. So there's no need to open up the pack to get at stuff I need to hand.

76755b87909daae0ad6641b0796e00f5.jpg

This cheap little pack felt like almost nothing on my back, and fitted really well. I changed out the nalgene bottle for two, 600ml smart water bottles, which slipped nicely in a side pouch and were at hand all day, albeit with a little wiggling to get them out...

My break over, I loaded up and carried on down the path. As the day warmed even more, the activity in the water slowed and I paused every now and then to see what I could see. My interest was rewarded more than once.

Right at my feet I saw this little fella waiting in ambush.....

64ed858aa2af17050256e870663ea2d6.jpg

I'm not sure if you can see him very clearly, but I could. It was awesome to see this young pike in the clear water. This canal is being slowly opened up again by the Canal and Rivers Trust and the nature is doing well. The canal certainly looked very healthy, with fish along its length and easily spotted from the bank.

8bca3151b30b2954c72b01278d6671fc.jpg

After following the canal path for some considerable distance, I came to the locks. I love lock gates. I'm not a boating man myself, but the engineering of these things always amazes me. The locks aren't in use, but I think the canal will be opened to leisure craft in the future, so they may relive their glory days soon enough.

acc217a795c9ea6b8bafbc3adb859f7c.jpg

At the head of the locks, the ubiquitous pub was open, and with it being about lunch time, it would of been rude to pass by without contributing to the local economy. So I ordered an orange juice and lemonade and sat down to rest.

8b75a80059e025254ebb7db5683262e1.jpg

The pub was quite busy and the beer garden was filled with the quiet chatter if people enjoying the sun. A cheeky little terrier got told off for pinching food off its owners plate, and I chuckled to myself with how happy that little dog was, gulping down its prize under the table. With the drink drank and after refilling my waterbottles, it was time to move on.

Passing through a traditional English village, with the union flag flying of almost every other house, I was bouncing along. Unburdened by a heavy load I had a real spring in my step. Leaving the village behind and heading into the fields again, the sound of a posh female voice drifted to me from over the hill. I wandered what was going on, but somebody was being told what a wonderful little boy he was, and with the sound of much clapping, clearly a lot of people agreed..... ah, I spied the tops of tents and gazebos in yonder field.... a dog show was in progress!

b21755ce5d0835ed08a23dbcbf6f8c97.jpg

I boxed round it by some distance and carried on. From field to to forest I went. The terrain changing from gently rolling hills to enclosed, steeply wooded path. To be out of the sun was nice, and with it being more than an hour of walking since my pub stop, cross country at a good pace, I took a rest under a yew tree. While I drink and eat as I move, taking the time sit for ten minutes is always a good thing.

284da4859df5431ede23c27118fc83d4.jpg

Moving on, I headed uphill deeper into the forest. The path was easy going, but steep in places and I enjoyed this section a lot.

a3e3e764fb4b7f7ad34d31da7c357268.jpg

Before long, I came across this beacon monument, overlooking the Vale. What a view! I could see for miles and miles.

18e449a877e80ca0f373608d5c587c20.jpg

Continuing on my way, I was almost through another bottle of water, so I refilled at a grave yard tap. Having sweated a fair bit throughout the day, I took on an Electrolyte drink as well. I drank that pretty quick and moved through my second village of the day.

It was a shame to see this pub, long closed down now looking dejected. A victim of covid maybe?

9818d8462ee9c4abc885a4541ed188a6.jpg

I left the village behind and went back into the fields. It began to rain. I stopped to don my Marmot goretex jacket. Within a few hundred metres, the rain stopped and out came the sun again! I took the jacket off and repacked it.....

By now I into the mid afternoon. I still felt really fresh. No heavy legs, no sore back or shoulders. I still had a fair distance to go before my planned camp site and was happy to continue. My pace had been a fair clip the whole day and I had been able to enjoy the walk without suffering.

Soon enough, I was through the third and final village. A pretty little place with old houses, built in a needs must way, quirky and chocolate-box-like.

d4bb25836e1651a662cdfd14f2ce0122.jpg

18c48a5deec2d8596d41976704bcac97.jpg

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
With the final wheat field to cross, I headed up a bridleway to my chosen spot.

445e2b8c01d836e7d0853a861022b06c.jpg

The bridleway was easy going, and being sheltered from the wind that had cooled me most of the day, it was also the hottest part of my walk.

32676003d04ecc75f27e6acf01ed27a9.jpg

Sweaty and very hungry, I arrived at my little discreet woodland. This wood is clearly never used by humans. It's overgrown, unkempt and wild around the edges. I had to crawl through the hedges to get in. Once inside the trees it was cool and I quickly put down my pack and got a light camp set up. For the first time that day I took off my trail runners and put my feet up.

6994741975ebd2a025d67dcb8692e4ed.jpg

I rested, laid flat out on the ground sheet. It felt good to be still. After a while I decided to get a brew on.

91c80a4ce2601fc24b50712c4d8d3e9d.jpg

Being lightweight, I had left my Espro Travel Cup at home and opted for some coffee bags.....

ea68c004300533c6f74f64259f8cb208.jpg

Verdict? Not bad.

While enjoying my coffee, I stretched my legs and back. Taking my socks off I was quietly surprised to see they weren't drenched in sweat. A first! Obviously down to footwear choice, I will continue with trail runners while the weather and terrain allow.

Coffee drank, I lounged on my pack. I took the time to watch a movie on Netflix and really relaxed. This lightweight mode of travel had really suited me. For the first time in a long time, I had finished the days walk still feeling like I could have gone another 10km. I checked my phone and noted I had covered 26.2km in about 6hrs. Not too shabby.

Film watched, it was definitely dinner time. My meal of choice? A cheapo freeze dried pasta meal, with a packet of mini chorizo sausages thrown in. I also added about 50ml of olive oil for the extra calories.

5d0ceb9c8709db4c896a3a09dbae0c0d.jpg

I simply boil water, add it to the pasta, seal in a ziplock and leave it for 10 or 15 min. Lovely. For dessert I had a lemon drizzle Trek bar.

My food for this trip meant I had to sustain myself for about 24hrs. I wanted food to be light, easy to eat and as calorie dense as possible. Here's the lot. (Less one trek bar wrapper, one pack of Biltong and one coffee wrapper as I had binned them on route)

2604acc983d242f08c812de9c94e4133.jpg

The bottle contains olive oil. Trek bars served for snacks throughout the day and for breakfast the second day. I never felt hungry. Total calories were about 2700kcal.

After dinner I put up the tarp.

b6a746390683ca69582320f67dea026c.jpg

I like this configuration. Three pegs and a walking pole. Easy and up in less than a minute. If you have a convenient overhead branch like I did, you can use that to support the apex. On the inside I used my MSR Elixir2 footprint as a ground sheet, with the inflatable roll mat on top. Perfect.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Half hour after the tarp was up, it started to rain. Good timing! I was dry and cool in the tarp. A cool breeze under the edges stopped it getting stuffy. I read a book on my Kindle app before drifting off to sleep about 2130. A perfect end to a perfect day.

I was awoken by a rather annoyed muntjac at 0500. I heard him stamping his feet near my camp, before barking loudly a few times and running off crashing through the undergrowth. I silently apologised for invading his territory before stretching inside my sleeping bag and sitting up. I had slept naked. I don't know why, I usually sleep in army surplus thermals but in the ease of drifting off to sleep I hadn't bothered.

Breakfast was coffee and a lemon Trek bar. I was mobile and didn't feel stiff at all having slept well. With breakfast over, I messaged my wife and was packed up and on my way by 0600. I hadn't rushed and due to the lack of stuff to pack away, it had taken no time at all and was done at a leisurely pace. How efficient!

Breaking out of my woods, I was greeted by the glorious sun.

01e85c80bf380f1db81577826f7df495.jpg

It was towards the sun that I travelled and I did well to keep in its warmth. The rain during the night had left everything wet and my feet were wet in no time. Hitting a road, and then a byway I covered the 8km back to my van in no time.

What a great little adventure. All my kit performed perfectly and I am pleased to say that my cheap £30 pack was worth every penny. I will get to planning my next trip once I return from holiday abroad!

Hope you enjoyed the read!

Last edited:

campfreddie

Jul 8, 2021
London
Very inspiring! I've done only short evening walks followed by an overnighter. Next is to do a longer daytime walk with an evening meal then camp.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Superb trip report , cant beat going lightweight now and again

Where was the pack from ?
Hi, the pack is a mountain warehouse one. 45ltr IIRC...

Here's a link.... but I didn't pay £80 for it! I got it in a sale but can't remember where right now, sorry buddy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE