Fox Cold Case --GRAPHIC WARNING!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mmm - not quite SSG is about 15 0.27" balls per ounce

http://www.jonathan-spencer.co.uk/Reference/Guns/Shotgun/Ammo/Shotsize.pdf

I don't have any SSG around, but this is SpSG - About a dozen 0.3" balls

4172710440_d2960be444_o.jpg

That's being hit by a dozen .22LR at the same time.

SF A shotgun with the right load will bring down a Red Deer - never mind Charlie. I have some ounce and a quarter rifled slug upstairs. At 25 yards that makes a .308 look like a cap gun.

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just for interest sake, and trying to respond in an illustrative manner for Siberian Fury, I have just been looking into the muzzle energy of a shotgun round.

The Solid shot I referred to above, carries a muzzle energy as follows

The catalog energy figures for the common high-brass ("maximum") 12 gauge slug load are an impressive 2361 ft. lbs. at the muzzle

Source:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm

Now, a maximum non FAC air rifle is 12ft lbs. So a shotgun can be the equivalent of 200 air rifle pellets.

A .22 rimfire carries maybe 116 ft lbs - so a 12 bore can be 20 .22RF hits.

Or most scary. At least two hits from an M16 or SA 80.

Never underestimate a shotgun. I hit a 2" x 2" post holding a target once shooting solid shot. It simply splintered into fragments.

Not on a lecture here, just trying to illustrate how powerful a shotgun is with a heavy load.

Red

A SSG cartridge is basically 9x.380 hitting the target simulataneously... plenty of splatter at close-ish range I'd have thought.

I don't think its brain jelly, I think its just the outer bark knocked off by the shot that missed, however lets not get too analytical, some of the posts here now are getting ridiculous, pure assumption and guess work.

How the hell can you start to guess the choke, when you don't no what range the cartridge was discharged at, or even what cartridge was,... if it was a 12G at all.

The muzzle energy of a 12G is massive, but it does not last long and even with those shells, its all over after 150 yards.

A 308 would knock seven bails out of you at well over a mile, so lets not get too confused here.

Shot guns are in comparison, close range guns.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE