Fox Cold Case --GRAPHIC WARNING!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Certainly pheasant egg and I'd say SG or SSG from a shotgun. Check out the hole sizes in the tree marked with claret- that's biggish hole sizes. SG is third of an inch balls - SSG about a quarter inch. Both are good fox medicine. That said those are not standard loads for a farmer to have when walking the boundaries. Pretty tight pattern going on there too - I'd say no more than 25 yards on a fullish choke. All that with the egg says to me a keepers decoy on Charlie.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Certainly pheasant egg and I'd say SG or SSG from a shotgun. Check out the hole sizes in the tree marked with claret- that's biggish hole sizes. SG is third of an inch balls - SSG about a quarter inch. Both are good fox medicine. That said those are not standard loads for a farmer to have when walking the boundaries. Pretty tight pattern going on there too - I'd say no more than 25 yards on a fullish choke. All that with the egg says to me a keepers decoy on Charlie.

Yeah, he'd probably been robbing nests or chickens and the farmer/keeper decided to sit and wait.

Would it be normal for a keeper to leave the egg & fox where it fell though?

Fox was trying to get up into the tree for the eggs/ young ones who had already hatched, got up a wee bit too high (especially for an animal that doesn't climb...) and fell out, breaking it's neck and jaw... egg fell out on top of Mr. Fantastic, thus no breakage.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah, he'd probably been robbing nests or chickens and the farmer/keeper decided to sit and wait.

Would it be normal for a keeper to leave the egg & fox where it fell though?
I'd be going more for a gamekeeper worried about Charlie getting into the breeding pens rather than chicken farmers. Based purely on the egg and the woodland setting I'll bet on a game shoot.

Used to be poor form to leave 'em laying like that but there are so many around since the hunts stopped that its coming more common to see the bodies. I stumbled across two on a neighbouring shoot the other day left where they dropped.

A keeper I know took nine in a night recently. Gets to be a lot of digging when its just vermin control I guess. These days its getting to be squeak, lamp, phsst. Move on.

I was never one for hunting to hounds - but there are certainly more foxes round since the ban.

Red

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's not proper etiquette to leave bodies after shooting them, but the woods are full of naturally dead stuff. Helps the local flora and fauna.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

I reckon so.
JoseyWales.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If they're original Walker Colts, I hope he doesn't load em to the full 70gn charge...

[gun-nerd]

Ahhh but they weren't note that the cylinders here don't show percussion caps - this prop gun has been coverted to cartridge fire. All wrong for the period

600px-TOJWColtWalker-6.jpg

He did use some percussion fire originals in the film too though

[/gun-nerd]

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Perish the thought.. If they're originals they should be in a green baize lined, fitted box. I don't think they made much more than about 1,000-1,500 so mucho dinero for a nice one. Italian I wouldn't be surprised and you could stoke one of those up and lose yourself in the smoke cloud..:lmao:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The Outlaw Josey Wales hero Colt Walker with original saddle holster. (Warner Bros., 1976) Meticulously crafted hero .44 caliber Colt Walker (Italian made gun under license from Colt), firearm #1210, accompanied by a color copy of the original Stembridge Gun Rentals receipt dated Oct. 22, 1975, renting #1210 to Malpaso Productions. Also included is the original leather saddle holster stamped with "Walker 9", Stembridge Gun Rentals". $40000 - $50000

It was indeed a repro:)

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5467929

And some muppet deactivated it:( (The propstore in London)

Burn the heretics!

(Sorry for the tangential thread hijack:eek:)

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
shot through the head, the bullet passed through the jaw, smashed it, the round exited andthe tree was immidiatly painted with blood and bone fragments. looks like quite a small round, probably a .17HMR or a .22 LR... As for the egg, it suggests the shooter was no doubt a chicken of some kind.

Last edited:

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
As for the egg, it suggests the shooter was no doubt a chicken of some kind.

Eggsactly! A chicken, with a fowling piece...problem solved..end ex..:lmao:

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
[gun-nerd]

Ahhh but they weren't note that the cylinders here don't show percussion caps - this prop gun has been coverted to cartridge fire. All wrong for the period

He did use some percussion fire originals in the film too though

[/gun-nerd]

Well there were a LOT of cartridge-converted Colts and Remingtons in The Good, The Band and The Ugly... just like John Wayne's frequent use fo a Win 1892 well before 1892...

Wonder how many Walkers actually were converted to cartridges?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE