Hello again from the Irish south east!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Hello to all!

I'm Baelfore/Stephen.

This forum was a regular part of my life for many years, both as a lurker then an active member, and I am lucky enough to own several brilliant pieces of kit from the talented folk on here.

My involvement both here and in bushcraft in general was paused a several years ago when my youngest managed to do significant damage to my lower back and shoulder, pausing everything bar being fit for work (social care). In fairness to have him, he was 18 months old so he didn't do it on purpose! (As he likes to remind me!)
This unfortunately coincided with my wife developing a degenerative sight condition and led to me having to park all possible risk hobbies like my crafts and nights in the bush, having become the only driver/income in the house.

This isn't intended as a sob story, more as a bit of background for those I used to know who are still active here on why I suddenly disappeared, particularly the one or two I may have left hanging and unanswered in terms of possible swaps/trades.

Thankfully I can now say that my partner's condition is now being successfully managed through optical injections, I have moved to a less physically demanding role in my organisation and have been working with an osteopath and instructor to strengthen my back and shoulder.
My 2 amazing sons Rowan (7) and James (5) are now old enough to start getting involved in all the things that gave me a bit of internal peace, the biggest being working towards my first night under a tarp in years next February!

Anyway, this was just a long winded way of saying hi again and glad to be getting back involved with the forum that was such a big part of my formative years!

Glad to see this community continue to exist and grow.

All the best,
Stephen

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Hallo from Berlin!

Have a look here below!
Some clothing may be out of production now because that's an older list, but you get the idea.

Lightweight equipment for children:

The following packing list was developed for a central European 3 seasons use. We did search for good quality but reasonably priced equipment that's available in Europe, ready to invest money in items that can be used for many years, but saving money at clothing, because children usualy grow out of it.

The concept is that the child gets so incredibly light equipment, that it is able to carry a complete equipment easily.

That is meant as an educational program, similar to the education of professional violin players or sport stars.
The child gets very early a complete real equipment and learns how to use it self reliant.

Father carries for both:
Tarp 3x3 metres
Pathfinder Bushpot 1,8 litres
Perhaps gas stove
Soap
Tooth paste
Food
Water
Victorinox Compact or Climber
First Aid Kit with tick card
And his own equipment of course.

The child carries the following:

Rucksack

Quechua hiking rucksack MH 500 children
30 litres. Navy blue 783g

Hip belt pocket:
Head lamp Petzl e-Lite, 26g
Decathlon carabiner hook compass, 16g
Opinel No 6 Carbone, 27g
Matchbox 10g

Flap pocket outside:
Quechua gloves fleece MH 500
children, black 30g
Kipsta cap Keep Warm children grey 30g
(Also in the sleeping bag)
Solognac cap Camouflage 65g

Luxe Outdoor XS bag (wash kit) 12g
NABAIJI microfibre towel S, black 45g
Folding tooth brush 13g

Flap pocket inside:
Falke hiking socks Navyblue 30g
Swimming shorts 40g
Solognac T-Shirt oliv 100g

Outer pouch (mesh):
Solognac Poncho, oliv, 275g
(Also as groundsheet)
Rain over trousers Solognac 300g

Side pouches (mesh):
2x Volvic 0,5 litres wide mouth bottles (2×30g) 60g?

Pocket at shoulder strap:
Raincover of the rucksack

Main compartment:
German army folding mat, original, 400g
Sleeping bag Deuter Starlight brown, 870g

Dry-Bag Sea to Summit
70D black, 2 litres, 38g, is stuffsack for
Tomshoo titanium mug set Set 750ml with bail and butterfly handles+ 450ml with butterfly handles, with folding spork and 2 lids 240g

Handkerchief, cotton, as potholder 20g
2x120cm cotton laces and 1 open hook made of a coat hanger tip from a dry cleaner, to hang the pot under tripod and to make the tripod 10g

Solognac fleece jacket camouflage 300g
(240g/m2)

Ortlieb Dry-Bag PS 10, grey 1,5 Liter , 30g
3/4 roll of toilet paper 80g

BASE WEIGHT RUCKSACK: 3.875g
--------------------------------------------------------'--

Additional Autumn:
Solognac Zipp Pullover brown, 125g
(160g/m2, light fleece)

BASE WEIGHT IN TOTAL exactly 4 kg
====================================

(Additional fits into this rucksack a tarp
For example
DD Superlight 300cm x 290cm, 460g
or Snugpak Stasha 244cm x 166cm, 370g)

-----------------------------------------------------
On the dwarf:

Falke socks, Navyblue, 30g
Hiking boots that fit well.

Swimming breefs, 40g
Solognac trousers reinforced, olive, 315g
Austrian or US army trousers belt

Solognac T-Shirt, olive, 100g
Boy Scout shirt, classic, with two pockets and flaps 350g

We would seal the items mainly with Toppits 1 litre ziplock freezer bags, because they are very light.
Around the sleeping bag comes a grey garbage bag to seal it water proof.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The Decathlon children's hunting clothing is meant as a worldwide available example of really good quality children's clothing, that is absolutely affordable. Other special outdoor clothing may serve well too of course.

The other equipment is well chosen equipment, that can NOT be replaced so easily without adding so much weight, that the child can't carry it in the end !!!
-----------------------------------

Afterwards I found these sleeping bags, that are worth a look. Because it's a little factory in Norway who makes these sleeping bags they are able to deliver to your specifications.

Dont confuse isbjorn in Norway, the serious sleeping bag maker, with isbjorn in Sweden, a children outdoor fashion brand!
-----------------------------------------

There was only one single member of a German bushcraft forum who actually bought all the equipment above and told us that it actually fits well into the rucksack. Afterwards he disappeared from the surface of the screens.

It would be great to read your report should you actually follow that concept. So far I see such an article doesn't exist in the internet bushcraft world and surely would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Hello to all!

I'm Baelfore/Stephen.

This forum was a regular part of my life for many years, both as a lurker then an active member, and I am lucky enough to own several brilliant pieces of kit from the talented folk on here.

My involvement both here and in bushcraft in general was paused a several years ago when my youngest managed to do significant damage to my lower back and shoulder, pausing everything bar being fit for work (social care). In fairness to have him, he was 18 months old so he didn't do it on purpose! (As he likes to remind me!)
This unfortunately coincided with my wife developing a degenerative sight condition and led to me having to park all possible risk hobbies like my crafts and nights in the bush, having become the only driver/income in the house.

This isn't intended as a sob story, more as a bit of background for those I used to know who are still active here on why I suddenly disappeared, particularly the one or two I may have left hanging and unanswered in terms of possible swaps/trades.

Thankfully I can now say that my partner's condition is now being successfully managed through optical injections, I have moved to a less physically demanding role in my organisation and have been working with an osteopath and instructor to strengthen my back and shoulder.
My 2 amazing sons Rowan (7) and James (5) are now old enough to start getting involved in all the things that gave me a bit of internal peace, the biggest being working towards my first night under a tarp in years next February!

Anyway, this was just a long winded way of saying hi again and glad to be getting back involved with the forum that was such a big part of my formative years!

Glad to see this community continue to exist and grow.

All the best,
Stephen
welcome back, x

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE