EDC Law

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
W

Wander

I was just wondering what the law is on a edc knife/multi-tool. Mainly the age, can you carry a uk legal blade at any age?

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Most stores state they will only sell to 18's or over.

With regards to EDC knives the cutting edge of the blade has to be no more than 3 inches and non-locking

A great number of multi tools have locking blades so would require a "reasonable explanation" as to why you are carrying it. Of course if you are carrying a legal EDC and breaking the law you may still be done for carrying an offensive weapon.

This may help:

http://www.heinnie.com/newsletter/PDF/UKLEGAL.pdf

W

Wander

So as long as it is uk legal and you are sensible with it you can carry it at any age?

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Tough to say these days.

I have carried a pocket knife pretty much since i was 14. Obviously not when i was at school or college but i lived in a fairly rural environment and it was fairly commonplace to go play in the woods (and again we are talking 20 years ago)

I would think these days 18 would be the age to carry but again it's down to you and the location you are in, likelihood of being stopped and searched by the police is also a factor and even your age. I still live in a rural area and apart from 1 speeding ticket 18 years back i have never been stopped by the police.

Common sense is the key but be aware that some officers and people for that matter have a very narrow view on the world.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
When did the current laws actually come into being? I can recall in my teens having no idea (nor my parents for that matter) that carrying a fixed blade out in the country was a crime, once my dad discovered I had an interest in such things, he saw to it that I was properly supervised.

I do think that just as the media hypes up fear of knife crime, we get unduly concerned about being caught up in all that. I do think there is in reality far less likelihood of ending up in jail as a result of carrying a fixed or locking blade far from the areas where the cops are likely to question you, than there is of ending up on the wrong side of some chav's kitchen knife on a Saturday night in town.

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
To actually answer the OPs question, you can legally carry a knife at ANY age.

Whether EDCable under S139 without good reason or not. Nothing from memory puts an age on ownership or posession, merely selling to people of a certain age and most of the times shops get it wrong and say you have to be 18 to buy a sub 3 inch slippy, which is incorrect!

Where the problem might come in is if you are for any reason stopped and fund by the Police with a knife, S139 compliant or not, then being young you might find it hard to convince them it is not being carried as a weapon. If that is the case you would be charged under I think the 'Prevention of Crime Act 1959' which makes it an offence to carry ANY item if you intend to use it as a weapon. This is very seperate to knife law and carry, which is covered by the Criminal Justice Act 1988 Section 139.

Rgds

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
When did the current laws actually come into being? I can recall in my teens having no idea (nor my parents for that matter) that carrying a fixed blade out in the country was a crime, once my dad discovered I had an interest in such things, he saw to it that I was properly supervised.

I do think that just as the media hypes up fear of knife crime, we get unduly concerned about being caught up in all that. I do think there is in reality far less likelihood of ending up in jail as a result of carrying a fixed or locking blade far from the areas where the cops are likely to question you, than there is of ending up on the wrong side of some chav's kitchen knife on a Saturday night in town.

The what you can and cant carry without reason law, otherwis known as Section 139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 came in...well, you can work that bit out.

In response to your first comment, carrying a fixed blade out in the country is not 'a crime', nor in the city either. If you can justify why you have it on you then that is OK according to the law.

Rgds

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Hi Wander

I asked the same question on the UKPoliceOnlne website some time ago as I wanted to know if my daughters could carry a small Leatherma. I summarised the laws around carrying knives and offensive weapons. Here is the link to the thread;

http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/ind...d/page__p__439609__fromsearch__1&#entry439609

Basic info is that you can carry any knife at any age on condition that it isn't used (or intended to be used) as a weapon and that it is either a sub 3" slipjoint or it can be any other kind of knife (other than one specifically banned such as a butterfly knife) if you have a reasonable excuse.

So as long as you don't wave it in someones face or bring attention to yourself you should be OK. Just remember that if stopped by the Police be polite and reasonable and remember that some Officers may not fully understand the law themself or may have a personal opinion.

Hop this helps.

W

Wander

Thank you all especially mr yarrow, most useful advice. Can I also ask which the better victorianox is:
1. Huntsman

2. Handyman

I am going to ask my dad to get me one and I want to know which one I should go for.

Thanks again

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Well to return to an earlier point, I can't remember what age I was exactly when I saved up my pocket money to buy a decent Sheffield blade, but I don't think. I didn't have the police to fear, I had my dad, indeed in those days the worst the police could do to you was to tell your dad what they thought you had been up to. I am not saying that is anything like an ideal because my dad crossed the line all too often, but I really do wonder what the heck is going on with the cops these days, I expect they have no real experience of discipline themselves.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Here is the problem with this question for me: -

The police have been doing some crafty things recently in regards to how they enforce the law, so I would be very careful when you carry, and why.

Here is the thing your under 18, I bet at the very least they take it, and maybe you end up at the station with your parents. Knife crime stats, got to watch them. I would not even think about something that need reason, unless with an adult.

Another vote for the Huntsman. Live with it, just stay away from Leathermans etc, because they so much better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE