Best EDC Prybar?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 20, 2024
Wales
Hi guys, I am trying to create the ultimate EDC kit and was wondering your opinion on the best EDC Prybar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm not sure that I would EDC a pry bar to be honest. I own pry bars from 3 inches to 6 foot in length (the tiny ones like Widgy bars are great for removing gimp pins from bee hive frames - 6 footers for setting fence posts and removing tree stumps). The small ones like Widgy bars aren't likely to be good for serious work . The Smallest I find capable of serious work would be a 10 inch cats paw / nail bar. Ox tools make a good one. To work really well they need to be paired with a hammer. Trouble is walking around with a decent pry bar and no reason probably qualifies as "going equipped to burgle"

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Best pry bar - depends on what you intend to use it for. Define that first and then we can proceed.
For example the one I edc is intended to be able to pry open doors so therefore I bought a 10inch long. Fits just and just in my edc bag.

Reactions: Tantalus

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I carry a SAK Camper and there are times, I know but cannot recall details, when I have used the large screwdriver blade to pry. Maybe opening paint tins, maybe trying to get two parts with o-ring seals to separate or open some other joint. There have been times when I have felt that I am in danger of damaging my SAK because the thing I am prying is too tight. At home I just go find a real screw driver, or my Vaughan Mini Pry Bar, which at 5.5 inches is much more capable than my SAK, but also not really pocket carry.

EDC kits...Ha. Ultimate is unattainable, many have tried, yet the fact that many more continue trying just proves there is no such thing. There is only the best you can afford/find at this time/that suits you. :cool:

How is this kit to be carried? Are we talking pocket, belt, pouch in a shoulder bag, or in a back pack? A buddy of mine made up "EDC" tool kits that included Knipex Cobra water pump pliers 125mm and similar small tools, all in a zippered case that would have been fine in a back pack or car, but a bit of a weight in a shoulder bag.

I do have EDC gear and some of it gets a lot more use than others.
SAK and separate high quality sub-3" folder - see fair use, they are the foundation for me.
whistle - never have needed to use this for anything
Peanut lighter - actually has been useful, but not critically so
Sliver Gripper tweezers - yeah, these have been handy quite often,
O-Light Baton rechargeable light - used every other day or more
First aid kit in DIY silnylon pouch - this has been used often

Although I have disposable income to throw around, I have never felt the need to get a pry bar, or even make one. A durable but short pen is much more tempting.

Best of luck in your search. Maybe tell us a bit about what you have been looking at and what appeals to you, and the jobs you have in mind for it :)

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
It's not this.

Appeared on reddit r/axesaw (forum for comically bad gear designs) a while back.

The company that made the titanium haligan bars, Tico, went out of business a while back.

Reactions: Nice65

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
@British Red I am presuming that a FUBAR is something that I have to deal with most days rather than an actual tool!

It’s an EDC that most of us could do without!!!

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I carry a SAK Camper and there are times, I know but cannot recall details, when I have used the large screwdriver blade to pry. Maybe opening paint tins, maybe trying to get two parts with o-ring seals to separate or open some other joint. There have been times when I have felt that I am in danger of damaging my SAK because the thing I am prying is too tight.
I used to carry a tiny 2" pry bar when I had a single bladed knife in my pocket. Now I've moved to the SAK permanently I've found that it's even more useless. Any pry bar under 4" isn't going to do much prying and anything bigger is too bulky to carry for what little use it will get. Most EDC designs are trying to reinvent the wheel without actually making the tool useful for the main task and many are so expensive it would be cheaper to risk the SAK instead.
Everyone's EDC needs are different though.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Stiletto still making titanium bars.

Fiskars have their equivalent of a Fubar

Stanley also have a demolition wrench, hammer & prybar.

Reactions: gg012

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Stiletto still making titanium bars.

Fiskars have their equivalent of a Fubar

Stanley also have a demolition wrench, hammer & prybar.
For £26 that's not bad tbh

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE