101 plants

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
A list so far, alphabetical. Merged a few duplicates but they may still be a few I missed:

1. Balsam fir blisters on the bark can be popped and the contents used on burns scalds and some other injuries I cant remember
  2. Beech fagus silvatica Oil can processed out the mast seeds very time consuming though; Leaves edible early in the year before they go brown and best when they are young and pale green
  3. Bilberry delious fruit. leaves used as for urinany tract infections contains same chemical as bearberry and cranberry.
  4. Birch: bark: Tinder for fire, making containers and canoes and cordage; roots: Cordage; sap
  5. Bramble: Cordage - black dye when iron mordant used
  6. Broom Cytisis scoparius Edible flowers a bit diuretic. Makes a sweeping brush very easily.
  7. Burdock With use of low powered sling shot in a game simerlar to one played with cleavers can played, Edible roots, use for wrapping meat when cooking in a hangi. Has anti-bacterial properties and is good for your digestive system
  8. Cattail: Cordage, much high carb and tasty food, mats, survival arrows, handdrills
  9. Cherry Prunus spp Edible gum mixed with dried powered fruit to make 'indian chewing gum'. Gum carries a fungus so needs careful processing. fruit edible on some spieces.
  10. Chickweed stellaria media Cook lightly and add nob of butter.
  11. Cleavers Galium aperine Easy to ID edilble plant. Nice lightly boiled with nob of butter. Seeds can used in peashooter to shoot family and freinds in a freindly game, where you count the amount a hits you have had by how covered the oppsition is in burrs
  12. Comfrey Symphytum officinale whole plant has been eaten the past now veiwed as carcongenic. Has brillant healing properties when used externally. I have used the frozen root on my daughters eczema with results that where far faster than hydrocortazone and more perminant. Have also used it a setting plaster on broken finger. Good to know for field dressings. For 101 list of plant I would have this in the top 10.
  13. Corn poppy Papaver rheos flower petals simmered gently promote sleep*. Seeds edible, really nice lighty roasted.
  14. Dandelion: Leaves in salad, roots dry roast to make a drink (not coffee substitute, as is often stated because it tastes nothing like coffee, and has no caffeine
  15. Elder: Flowers: Cordial, champagne, wine; Fire Drills, Drinking Tube/ Blowpipe, wood is very hard and probably has lots of uses: toggles, handles etc. Fruit: Wine, Jellies, Jams, Sauces, Pemmican(?)
  16. Euphorbias Charm them warts and vercucas off by dripping the sap on effected skin and then letting it dry. Do not use on skin that is regarlery exposed to sunlight as this treatment will predipose to skin to cancer.
  17. Feverfew Chrysanthemum parthenium. Good and effective migraine treatment, must be taken between slices of bread as can cause mouth ulcers.
  18. Good king henry Chenopoduim Good easy to ID green vegatable whole genus edible. dont live off it though can make skin hypersensitive.
  19. Gorse edible flowers good for kindling
  20. Ground Ivy - Tea (good for the chest)
  21. Guelder rose viburnum opulus used by vikings to preserve other fruit, don't know how, dose any body else?
  22. Hazel for nuts and the wood makes great drill for bow drill in conjunction with and ivy hearth board
  23. Hogweed: Steam young shoots
  24. Holly Ilex aquilfolium Makes lovely withies really smooth and consistant. dried leaves burn like firelighters.
  25. Hops Humulus lupulus cordage plant related to hemp. I have used a tisane flowers for stress condition, overdosed and got numb lips and fingers. Contains substances that help treat multiple scurosis.*
  26. Horseradish, i don't like the flavor so have never used it, i think the leaves are used for rapping up fish when cooking but will need to check.
  27. Horsetail Equisetum arvense I have used this to clean rust off things I didn't wish to be use abrasives on. The metal does need to be oiled after as though it cleans the rust off the acid(?) in the plant will also incourage it.
  28. houseleek sempervivum tectorum Use like aloe vera better than dock with nettle stings. good on sunburn.
  29. Jack by the hedge (hedge garlic): Mild garlic taste - stuff it in fish
  30. Kapok poplar populus (?) grows kapok, thats copious amounts of fluffy down to anyone who has never done needle work. Has alots of uses.
  31. Lime - cordage, young leaves edible
  32. Maple: sap as a syrup
  33. Meadowsweet Filiendula ulmaria Whole plant contains salicylics but used to treat stomach ulcers in modern herballism. Flowers make the most divine tea, which helps with flu and fevers. Freezing preserves them better than drying.
  34. Mints Mentha spp can used as a strewing herb in tent to make the place smell clean. plus host of culinary uses. Anti-nausant avoid wild mints when pregant unless good at ID.
  35. Nettle Urtica dioica: Cordage, tea, soup and can aids arthritis suffers and as a herb is a gentle stimulant for the bowls.
  36. Oak: leaves make beautifull smoke for smoking fish etc; acorns make a coffee substitue
  37. Orache Atriplex hortensis all arial parts eaten tastes like kale.
  38. Oregon grape Mahonia aquilfolium Fruit edible raw and cooked.
  39. pignut - edible tuber
  40. Pine, edible cambrium layer, medical properties (need to look up).
  41. Pine: Needles: steep freesh green leaves in hot water for a vitamin c rich tea! Pine tar can be used as a candle or as a glue when mixed with wood ash.
  42. Pineapple mayweed used like chamomile but tastes better IMHO.
  43. Plantain roots: Clean off mud and fry crisp - quite tasty, Cleaned and bruised can be used as a poultice
  44. poplar inner bark for cordage
  45. Ramsons edible wild garlic
  46. Red Cedar: Cordage, containers, fire by friction (hearth), tinder from inner bark
  47. Redleg/ bistort entire plant edible and good. leaves good mixed with dandion. root edible.
  48. Rosebay willow herb, edible inners, cordage from the outer, Stewable laeves, root
  49. Rowan sorbus aucuparia Fruit edible better cooked seem to have high pectin content so next sept I will need to try that techneque that RM showed with the hawthorn and make chewy bars. Can be sharp if picked too early
  50. Samphire salicornia europaea one the best wild plants I have ever eaten. costal salt marshes only.
  51. Sea buckthorn hippophae rhamniodes It tastes revolting (unripe rowan) but it might mix will hawthorn
  52. Silverweed potentilla spp has small knobby roots taste like potatoe.
  53. Sloe buckthorn fruit steeped in alchol becomes more than palettable.
  54. Sloe prunus spinosa Fruit can also be made into meat sauce like cranberry. The sauce I made was better when I added hawthorn (sweeter and set better).
  55. Speedwell Veronica officinals traditionally used on feet blisters, I have tried and can't say it has worked in any noticiable way.
  56. Sphagnum Moss : Cushion, absorbant wipes, field dressing.
  57. Spruce: Roots for cordage
  58. Sweet chestnut Castanea sativa Flowers edible, the MALE flowers/catkins have smell that is off putting. Fruit yummy and has plenty of uses, not normally worth while in britain but last year was they were ace.
  59. Sweet woodruff Asperula odorata Flowers made into tea.
  60. Tansy Cooked up with apples will get rid of intestial parasites. not good enough to be used instead of good hygene but effective and can used on children.
  61. Thistles: Fire (sparks), edible
  62. Tree lichen/old man's beard: Tinder
  63. Wild chamomile Matricaria chamomile this chamomile is one most likely to be found growing wild in scrubby places in britian, can be eaten raw, can make you a bit drowsy if eaten in large quantaties.
  64. Willow: Try chewed inner bark on nettle stings. Contains salicin (aspirin ingredient) chew a twig for headache relief, cordage, shelter, weaving, fire, carving
  65. Witch-hazel hammaelis virginiana boil leaves in vodka in saucepan with tight fitting lid to make a mother tincture that is far better than what you buy in a phamacy. Must dilute before use.
  66. Wood sorrel edible has taste of apple peel
  67. Woundwort: Wound dressing
  68. Yarrow: Tea, wound dressing

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Wood sorrel and sorrel are not the same plant.

Wood sorrel oxalis acetosella has three leaves and grows in woods, and sorrel rumex acetosa has arrow shaped leaves and grows every where esle. They both taste like err sorrel! You can see why I put the latin names in. The dried flowering parts of the dock family rumex all make good firelighters.

To add to the uses of many uses of hawthorne, medicine to level off blood pressure problems.

Rose: syrup, rose water, itching powder. The leaves are boiled up to make remedy for piles . Blackberry leaves and oak can do simerlar. oak may stain skin of treated area brown. :D

Japanese knotweed has edible shoots taste like rubarb, otherwise is completly evil. for list of useful plants this diserves to go at the bottom.

Please Edit Post of bad humour and spelin mustakes before paraphasing Please

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE