101 plants

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
After the runaway success of G4's 101 top tips it dawned on me that one of the real strengths of this forum is that it can harness so much knowledge. And as I see it, one of the best ways, ie, easiest ways, of grouping it is to draw up lists. After all, the British public seems to have fallen in love with lists, Top 100 movies, scariest moments and so on...

Can I kick off another list of... useful plants, trees etc. Not just plants you can eat, because there are already some great links here (http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=5711&highlight=plants) but plants that can heal, start fires, make cordage from etc.

I can't really put it any better than G4, so if there are no copyright issues, I'll let him start it off again:
"I have learn’t so much on here and there is SOOOO much skill and knowledge out there that I thought if we all put our heads together we could amass a list of THINGS YOU SHOULD DO AND KNOW!

Ok I’ll start (Is only fair!)"

Birch Bark: Tinder for fire, making containers and canoes and cordage.
Sphagnum Moss : Cushion, absorbant wipes, field dressing.
Nettles: Salads, soup, cordage.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Yarrow - tea, wound dressing
Woundwort- Wound dressing
Jack by the hedge (hedge garlic) - Mild garlic taste - stuff it in fish
Ground Ivy - Tea (good for the chest)
Burdock - edible roots, use for wrapping meat when cooking in a hangi. Has anti-bacterial properties and is good for your digestive system
Red Cedar - cordage, containers, fire by friction (hearth), tinder from inner bark
Lime - cordage, young leaves edible
Willow - (as well as already mentioned) contains salicin (aspirin ingredient) chew a twig for headache relief

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Beech leaves[size=-1]edible early in the ear before they go brown and best when they are young and pale green

Pine Needles: steep freesh green leaves in hot water for a vitamin c rich tea!

[/size]

D

Davros

Elder:

Fire Drills
Drinking Tube/ Blowpipe

The wood is very hard and probably has lots of uses; Toggles, Handles etc

Elder Flowers; Cordial, Champagne, Wine
Elderberries; Wine, Jellies, Jams, Sauces, Pemmican?

Some old fashioned remedies from the leaves. Along the lines of "The worse it tastes the better it is for you"

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Dandelion - Leaves in salad, roots dry roast to make a drink (not coffee substitute, as is often stated because it tastes nothing like coffee, and has no caffeine :D In fact it tastes pretty miserable

Plantain roots - clean off mud and fry crisp - quite tasty
Hogweed - steam young shoots

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
Just a bit of an update on the contributions so far. I will keep adding to this and hope that others will chip in if they can. Thanks very much.

Cattail: Cordage, much high carb and tasty food, mats, survival arrows, handdrills

Dandelion: Leaves in salad, roots dry roast to make a drink (not coffee substitute, as is often stated because it tastes nothing like coffee, and has no caffeine
Plantain roots: Clean off mud and fry crisp - quite tasty, Cleaned and bruised can be used as a poultice

Hogweed: Steam young shoots

Elder: Fire Drills, Drinking Tube/ Blowpipe, wood is very hard and probably has lots of uses: toggles, handles etc.
Elder Flowers: Cordial, champagne, wine
Elderberries: wine, jellies, jams, sauces, pemmican?

Beech: Leaves edible early in the year before they go brown and best when they are young and pale green

Pine: Needles: steep freesh green leaves in hot water for a vitamin c rich tea! Pine tar can be used as a candle or as a glue when mixed with wood ash.

Yarrow: Tea, wound dressing

Woundwort: Wound dressing

Jack by the hedge (hedge garlic): Mild garlic taste - stuff it in fish

Ground Ivy - Tea (good for the chest)

Burdock: Edible roots, use for wrapping meat when cooking in a hangi. Has anti-bacterial properties and is good for your digestive system

Red Cedar: Cordage, containers, fire by friction (hearth), tinder from inner bark
Lime - cordage, young leaves edible

Willow: Contains salicin (aspirin ingredient) chew a twig for headache relief, cordage, shelter, weaving, fire, carving

Bramble: Cordage - black dye when iron mordant used

Willow herb: Fire, roots edible, cordage

Thistles: Fire (sparks), edible

Nettle Urtica dioica: Cordage, tea, soup and can aids arthritis suffers and as a herb is a gentle stimulant for the bowls.

Birch bark: Tinder for fire, making containers and canoes and cordage.
Birch roots: Cordage

Sphagnum Moss : Cushion, absorbant wipes, field dressing.

Tree lichen/old man's beard: Tinder

Spruce: Roots for cordage

Contributors:

torjusg
falling rain
Davros
laurens ch
tomtom
moduser
hawsome34
sodajoe

:cool:

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
This is a great idea sodajoe my plant knowledge is lacking to put it mildly this list will be of great use

Ramsons edible wild garlic

Wood sorrel edible has taste of apple peel

Balsam fir blisters on the bark can be popped and the contents used on burns scalds and some other injuries I cant remember

Hazel for nuts and the wood makes great drill for bow drill in conjunction with and ivy hearth board

James

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
Cheers James.

I reckon if everybody on the forum could post one or two uses for a plant then it would be a great resource for experienced and novices alike.

Here's hoping...

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
Great idea sodajoe. Here's my shot from the hip:

poplar inner bark for cordage

birch and maple: sap / syrup

oak: acorns make a coffee substitue
oak leaves make beautifull smoke for smoking fish etc.

Bob

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
Thought I might resusitate this thread especially after Ray Mears Wild Food and the plant calendar in the Bushcraft magazine.

What do you think?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Good idea to resusitate the thread, there is at least 101 really useful plants.

So off the top of my head here goes:
Rosebay willow herb, edible inners, cordage from the outer, Stewable laeves,
Pine, edible cambrium layer, medical properties (need to look up).
Willow try chewed inner bark on nettle stings.
Bilberry delious fruit. leaves used as for urinany tract infections contains same chemical as bearberry and cranberry.
Sloe buckthorn fruit steeped in alchol becomes more than palettable.
Gorse edible flowers good for kindling
Redleg/ bistort entire plant edible and good. leaves good mixed with dandion. root edible.
Horseradish, i don't like the flavor so have never used it, i think the leaves are used for rapping up fish when cooking but will need to check.

I will put the latin names in later, to save confusion. I am sure I know more than these and will add later, I need to pick the kids up from school now.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oregon grape Mahonia aquilfolium Fruit edible raw and cooked.

Corn poppy Papaver rheos flower petals simmered gently promote sleep*. Seeds edible, really nice lighty roasted.

Broom Cytisis scoparius Edible flowers a bit diuretic. Makes a sweeping brush very easily.

Comfrey Symphytum officinale whole plant has been eaten the past now veiwed as carcongenic. Has brillant healing properties when used externally. I have used the frozen root on my daughters eczema with results that where far faster than hydrocortazone and more perminant. Have also used it a setting plaster on broken finger. Good to know for field dressings. For 101 list of plant I would have this in the top 10.

Rowan sorbus aucuparia Fruit edible better cooked seem to have high pectin content so next sept I will need to try that techneque that RM showed with the hawthorn and make chewy bars. Can be sharp if picked too early

Cherry Prunus spp Edible gum mixed with dried powered fruit to make 'indian chewing gum'. Gum carries a fungus so needs careful processing. fruit edible on some spieces.

Sloe prunus spinosa Fruit can also be made into meat sauce like cranberry. The sauce I made was better when I added hawthorn (sweeter and set better).

Meadowsweet Filiendula ulmaria Whole plant contains salicylics but used to treat stomach ulcers in modern herballism. Flowers make the most divine tea, which helps with flu and fevers. Freezing preserves them better than drying.

Kapok poplar populus (?) grows kapok, thats copious amounts of fluffy down to anyone who has never done needle work. Has alots of uses.

Horsetail Equisetum arvense I have used this to clean rust off things I didn't wish to be use abrasives on. The metal does need to be oiled after as though it cleans the rust off the acid(?) in the plant will also incourage it.

Sea buckthorn hippophae rhamniodes It tastes revolting (unripe rowan) but it might mix will hawthorn :confused: .

Silverweed potentilla spp has small knobby roots taste like potatoe.

Sweet woodruff Asperula odorata Flowers made into tea.

Pineapple mayweed used like chamomile but tastes better IMHO.

Cleavers Galium aperine Easy to ID edilble plant. Nice lightly boiled with nob of butter. Seeds can used in peashooter to shoot family and freinds in a freindly game, where you count the amount a hits you have had by how covered the oppsition is in burrs

Burdock With use of low powered sling shot in a game simerlar to one played with cleavers can played.

Sweet chestnut Castanea sativa Flowers edible, the MALE flowers/catkins have smell that is off putting ;) . Fruit yummy and has plenty of uses, not normally worth while in britain but last year was they were ace.

Beech fagus silvatica Oil can processed out the mast seeds very time consuming though.

houseleek sempervivum tectorum Use like aloe vera better than dock with nettle stings. good on sunburn.

Euphorbias Charm them warts and vercucas off by dripping the sap on effected skin and then letting it dry. Do not use on skin that is regarlery exposed to sunlight as this treatment will predipose to skin to cancer.

Hops Humulus lupulus cordage plant related to hemp. I have used a tisane flowers for stress condition, overdosed and got numb lips and fingers. Contains substances that help treat multiple scurosis.*

Holly Ilex aquilfolium Makes lovely withies really smooth and consistant. dried leaves burn like firelighters.

Speedwell Veronica officinals traditionally used on feet blisters, I have tried and can't say it has worked in any noticiable way.

Guelder rose viburnum opulus used by vikings to preserve other fruit, don't know how, dose any body else?

Orache Atriplex hortensis all arial parts eaten tastes like kale.

Good king henry Chenopoduim Good easy to ID green vegatable whole genus edible. dont live off it though can make skin hypersensitive.

Chickweed stellaria media Cook lightly and add nob of butter.

Feverfew Chrysanthemum parthenium. Good and effective migraine treatment, must be taken between slices of bread as can cause mouth ulcers.

Tansy Cooked up with apples will get rid of intestial parasites. not good enough to be used instead of good hygene but effective and can used on children.

Wild chamomile Matricaria chamomile this chamomile is one most likely to be found growing wild in scrubby places in britian, can be eaten raw, can make you a bit drowsy if eaten in large quantaties.

Mints Mentha spp can used as a strewing herb in tent to make the place smell clean. plus host of culinary uses. Anti-nausant avoid wild mints when pregant unless good at ID.

Samphire salicornia europaea one the best wild plants I have ever eaten. costal salt marshes only.

Witch-hazel hammaelis virginiana boil leaves in vodka in saucepan with tight fitting lid to make a mother tincture that is far better than what you buy in a phamacy. Must dilute before use.

* These plants can produce a positive result during narcotic screening, I thought I should add that as there is a lot members in armed services and other professions where you screened.

The really useful plants have already been mentioned, but I hope this will take make the list closer to the 101 useful plants. I am sure I can come up with more :aargh4:

I have just moved house and all my books are still packed so I have more or less kept to plants I have used in the past and can remember (the Hops might of effected me memory abit :27: ) and I HAVE NOT DOUBLE CHECKED THE TOXICOLOGY.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE