Leaky gutters. Advice please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
It gets better... I gave them a ring this morning to find out when I'm scheduled to have the gutters sorted... bearing in mind, I booked the job in May. Its now November, and another year's worth of debris and leaves are in the gutters.
After 15 mins waiting , they can't even find a record of me asking for the job to be done, let alone a job date, so if I'd kept waiting for them, it would never have been done.
Abysmal!

• Wow
Reactions: Ozmundo and Toddy

just_john

Mar 22, 2012
South Wales
On the other side however, sometimes I do wonder about people.

One young lady in her dressing gown in the after (I'm just jealous) gave me a right earful about her gutter overflowing and getting her wet. Really quite irate about it, and shes been phoning the housing for months.

Her porch gutter, about a foot above her head, and no more than 4 foot long. And she had a partner in the house. It would have taken them 5 minutes with a stool and a spoon, but she would rather moan and complain (and get wet) for months instead of taking some initiative and just doing it.

Don't start me on the lady who has just been given a new house because hers is not fit for human habitation.....because she ignored the rat issue she caused for well over a year. Would have been an easy fix, now it's a beast of a job affecting all three connected houses, and I got dog sh@t on my boots (from the inside her house on her bedroom floor)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have often cleaned my own gutters in the past. Or my partner did before he passed away. It's just that I cannot any longer cope with a ladder, or I would have done it myself, after all, it's a bungalow, and fairly easy if you have the mobility.
I won't go into my mobility crap too much , but I often fall, so I'm not doing it alone, with the possibility of falling off a ladder, or not being able to get down.
I did manage to clear one small bit, but it was too dangerous for me to carry on.
Some people are entitled and live in crap, just to get moved to a new house. I know someone who did it.
I deal with my own rats, and as much else as I can. Apart from asking 4 or more
yrs ago for a new back door, as mine won't lock properly in the winter, so they send out someone in the summer, when it's fine, and say no problem there, it works fine, and this gutter issue, I've not asked for any repairs for years.
I'm just asking for a simple maintenance job, that should be done as a matter of course anyway.

just_john

Mar 22, 2012
South Wales
I have often cleaned my own gutters in the past. Or my partner did before he passed away. It's just that I cannot any longer cope with a ladder, or I would have done it myself, after all, it's a bungalow, and fairly easy if you have the mobility.
I won't go into my mobility crap too much , but I often fall, so I'm not doing it alone, with the possibility of falling off a ladder, or not being able to get down.
I did manage to clear one small bit, but it was too dangerous for me to carry on.
Some people are entitled and live in crap, just to get moved to a new house. I know someone who did it.
I deal with my own rats, and as much else as I can. Apart from asking 4 or more
yrs ago for a new back door, as mine won't lock properly in the winter, so they send out someone in the summer, when it's fine, and say no problem there, it works fine, and this gutter issue, I've not asked for any repairs for years.
I'm just asking for a simple maintenance job, that should be done as a matter of course anyway.
I really, really hope you didn't take my stroppy rant as aimed in your direction in any way whatsoever, because I can absolutely promise you it wasn't!

There's certainly plenty of jobs in the house i'm not capable doing.

95% of my customers are lovely and I'm perfectly happy to do what I'm paid for, it's just the odd one that grinds my gears due to entitlement when I'm already drowning in jobs.

Reactions: Ystranc

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I really, really hope you didn't take my stroppy rant as aimed in your direction in any way whatsoever, because I can absolutely promise you it wasn't!

There's certainly plenty of jobs in the house i'm not capable doing.

95% of my customers are lovely and I'm perfectly happy to do what I'm paid for, it's just the odd one that grinds my gears due to entitlement when I'm already drowning in jobs.

Don't worry, I didn't think your rant was aimed at me.
As I said, I've seen similar things myself. We have several houses that look a right mess, with unkempt gardens and torn curtains at the windows.
I do try to keep on top of things, but sometimes it just defeats me.
That's when I ask for help.
I'm getting a friend to help do the gutters, as I am fed up with the h/a ignoring me.
I used to have a lovely h/a handyman , and we always got on well. He always had tea and biscuits off me, and he actualy helped me sell my motorbike, as its now too big and heavy for me.
Lovely chap. He recently retired, and I miss him. He'd always come and help out with a little job if he was in the area, without it being booked in, if I asked him. Couldn't wish for a nicer chap. I always try to treat the chaps well, but I'll raise a yell, if they do a crap job...like my roof!
I must get properly membered again so I can post photos. I still have the ones of the shocking mess they made of my roof. You'd love them!!!!! Shoddy doesn't even begin to cover it!
I've even got all the weeds out of the gutters outside my home. Not my job, but you gotta keep standards up best you can.(plus it shows up the lazy ones!)

Reactions: Ystranc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE