What are the worst-case-scenario hiking situations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
………. what does your husband think of all this advice?

What is he prepared to carry/change for your peace of mind?

Last edited:
Reactions: nigelp

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
CAT torniquet is an essential for catastrophic bleeding, to go with the field dressing(s). I’d go with an Israeli bandage/OLAES dressings.

Don’t skimp on the tourniquet either. I’d suggest two of the proper CAT gen 7 ones.

Two aspirin in case of a heart attack. They would be chewed ASAP whilst awaiting rescue.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
CAT torniquet is an essential for catastrophic bleeding, to go with the field dressing(s). I’d go with an Israeli bandage/OLAES dressings.

Don’t skimp on the tourniquet either. I’d suggest two of the proper CAT gen 7 ones.

Two aspirin in case of a heart attack. They would be chewed ASAP whilst awaiting rescue.

Sorry, what circumstances, walking up a hill, are likely to lead to catastrophic bleeding? In all my years trekking I have never seen anyone need a tourniquet or require an Israeli bandage. This is exactly why proper risk assessments are valuable.

Bandages for sprains, (though I use vetwrap these days), grazes can wait till he gets down, appropriate amount of fluids, a decent phone with coverage, warm and waterproof clothes, and a snack. I would also take a walking stick/pole.

Reactions: Herman30

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Sorry, what circumstances, walking up a hill, are likely to lead to catastrophic bleeding? In all my years trekking I have never seen anyone need a tourniquet or require an Israeli bandage. This is exactly why proper risk assessments are valuable.

Bandages for sprains, (though I use vetwrap these days), grazes can wait till he gets down, appropriate amount of fluids, a decent phone with coverage, warm and waterproof clothes, and a snack. I would also take a walking stick/pole.

Compound fractures or big cuts from falls aren’t entirely uncommon. A CAT is a small piece of kit that you hope to never need but will save your life if you ever find yourself unfortunate enough to need it. Can easily just sit in a jacket pocket.

I’d say that and field dressings are the two most essential IFAK items, personally. If you’re only out for an hour or two you don’t need the non-urgent stuff like plasters, but you don’t last very long with a big bleed.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Compound fractures or big cuts from falls aren’t entirely uncommon.

Compound fractures, occasionally - that I'll accept but never witnessed one in over 50 years of trekking; big cuts causing arterial bleeding, highly improbable, and self medicating, alone, for arterial bleeding is very rarely successful - it only takes seconds to become light-headed (despite that, I still carry a full trauma kit with me working alone in the wood).

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Compound fractures, occasionally - that I'll accept but never witnessed one in over 50 years of trekking; big cuts causing arterial bleeding, highly improbable, and self medicating, alone, for arterial bleeding is very rarely successful - it only takes seconds to become light-headed (despite that, I still carry a full trauma kit with me working alone in the wood).
I’m lucky enough to have not experienced one either. I got the advice from a paramedic who was a Mountain Leader in the military and he suggests that fractures, serious bleeds and heart attack are the serious ones worth carrying emergency kit that he sees most commonly in the hills or doing bushcraft sort of things (the latter activity due to knives rather than falls). Three most important items he suggested are CAT, field dressing and a splint (SAM splints are good).

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I’m lucky enough to have not experienced one either. I got the advice from a paramedic who was a Mountain Leader in the military and he suggests that fractures, serious bleeds and heart attack are the serious ones worth carrying emergency kit that he sees most commonly in the hills or doing bushcraft sort of things (the latter activity due to knives rather than falls). Three most important items he suggested are CAT, field dressing and a splint (SAM splints are good).
This is for a solo waker. Not as part of a group first aid kit. Even then you can fashion a tourniquet from a triangular bandage or two.
A person on their own is not going to be able to use a splint on themselves successfully. I’d also say that it would take enormous presence of mind to apply a tourniquet to yourself before becoming unconscious and highly unlikely.

The chap is going up the hill to walk his dog!
Warm clothes an extra layer and a few essentials to keep warm will suffice.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Funny; everybody and their aunts are now carrying tourniqets. In my country it used to be forbidden for non-pros to aply tourniquets.

Reactions: Pattree

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
This is for a solo waker. Not as part of a group first aid kit. Even then you can fashion a tourniquet from a triangular bandage or two.
A person on their own is not going to be able to use a splint on themselves successfully. I’d also say that it would take enormous presence of mind to apply a tourniquet to yourself before becoming unconscious and highly unlikely.

The chap is going up the hill to walk his dog!
Warm clothes an extra layer and a few essentials to keep warm will suffice.
I am talking about entirely personal, as part of a group I’d expect to need far more.

It’s actually astonishingly difficult to make a tourniquet out of other improvised items. Having one strong enough to apply the required pressure and then strong enough to lock in place is not as easy as people make it look/sound in books and on television.

A person on their own can easily splint their own ankle.

For normal dog walking I’d absolutely agree with you, but OP mentions they are walking in the mountains so I’d argue appropriate kit is going to be different to just around the block or through the local woods.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I am talking about entirely personal, as part of a group I’d expect to need far more.

It’s actually astonishingly difficult to make a tourniquet out of other improvised items. Having one strong enough to apply the required pressure and then strong enough to lock in place is not as easy as people make it look/sound in books and on television.

For normal dog walking I’d absolutely agree with you, but OP mentions they are walking in the mountains so I’d argue appropriate kit is going to be different to just around the block or through the local woods.

With respect to the OP, there are no 'Mountains' in South Wales :)
(prepares for barrage of abuse from the offended)

• Haha
Reactions: haptalaon and Chris

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk

I carry a first aid kit as a mountain leader and outdoor instructor and it was only in the last first aid course they included use of a tourniquet for catastrophic bleeding. It was very easy and quick to make one with triangular bandages and we did so on the course. However when I walk solo I do not carry one, or a splint because I can’t think of a situation where they would be useful.

Splinting of lower limbs is usually done to prevent movement, pain and further injury. If you are sat immobile then you probably would not need to do a thing with an ankle. A more serious compound fracture would require the assistance of someone else and I still can’t see a solo person being able to muck about with a fracture or serious bleec and not pass out, or go into shock.

The OP wanted a first aid kit for their husband who walks the dog twice a day in the mountains. A small roll of duct tape and a single trauma dressing would probably cover most eventualities and be more likely to be carried.

Reactions: Ozmundo

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I think we’re are Waaaaaaaay overthinking the original question.
(And probably being way too scary)

We are talking a twice a day walk up a mountain, not even a hike within the meaning of the term - just a routine dog walk.

A phone and an eta are probably all that’s really needed. How many shepherds or farmers carry splints, tourniquets, and pocket ambulances?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I think we’re are Waaaaaaaay overthinking the original question.
(And probably being way too scary)

We are talking a twice a day walk up a mountain, not even a hike within the meaning of the term - just a routine dog walk.

A phone and an eta are probably all that’s really needed. How many shepherds or farmers carry splints, tourniquets, and pocket ambulances?

Exactly my point from the first post :)

Mind you, very few shepherds actually visit their flocks on a daily basis let alone twice a day and, even if they do, they're on a quad :)

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
…….., which is a bloody sight more risky on a mountain!

I would add that someone needs to take action when the eta is passed and not changed (by phone)

My dad sat at home wondering if he should call any one because I hadn’t called in and it had gone dark 90 minutes before. I got out of the Peaks ok and found a phone box in Hayfield. (it was a bit ago). We had an arrangement that I’d call in before dark (on a one day hike)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
…….., which is a bloody sight more risky on a mountain!

I would add that someone needs to take action when the eta is passed and not changed (by phone)

My dad sat at home wondering if he should call any one because I hadn’t called in and it had gone dark 90 minutes before. I got out of the Peaks ok and found a phone box in Hayfield. (it was a bit ago). We had an arrangement that I’d call in before dark (on a one day hike)

Yeh, it is incredibly hard to imagine how we survived before mobiles :)

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I carry a first aid kit as a mountain leader and outdoor instructor and it was only in the last first aid course they included use of a tourniquet for catastrophic bleeding. It was very easy and quick to make one with triangular bandages and we did so on the course. However when I walk solo I do not carry one, or a splint because I can’t think of a situation where they would be useful.

Splinting of lower limbs is usually done to prevent movement, pain and further injury. If you are sat immobile then you probably would not need to do a thing with an ankle. A more serious compound fracture would require the assistance of someone else and I still can’t see a solo person being able to muck about with a fracture or serious bleec and not pass out, or go into shock.

The OP wanted a first aid kit for their husband who walks the dog twice a day in the mountains. A small roll of duct tape and a single trauma dressing would probably cover most eventualities and be more likely to be carried.

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree, as our personal experiences vary and I don’t want to invalidate yours just because mine is different. Personally, I think the completely negligible weight and space taken up by a CAT and a dressing are so little that I’d carry one any time I walked in the mountains. Splint I’d be more willing to improvise as less time pressure there.

All down to our own individual appetite for risk and our experiences really.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE