Zoo Worker?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ok , I had better post the question so if anyone know they can tell me the answer.

As sad as the event was , the passing of an Elephant at a Local Zoo got me thinking about the practical side of how do you dispose of such sized creature? I realize its a little bit of a 'dark' question but i would be interested in knowing what they do ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8557851.stm

I guess it the practical side i'm more interested in ie How do you dispose of a Four Tonne corpse ? and what do you do with it? Feed it to the Lions and Tigers? Afterall meat is meat.
What do they then do with the Skull and Tusks?

Anyone got any idea???

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The article say's she'll be taken away and cremated so probably a crane to pick her up, low loader to where she's to be cremated. The tusks may well be destroyed with her.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well, a few decades ago Erret Callahan and a few others got to play with a dead elephant. They experimented with various early paleolithical stone points and atlatl dart types, trying to see which ones would penetrate best, and also did a fair amount of butchering of the carcass using the same tools as might have been used for butchering mammoths, comparing tool marks on the bones, etc. Apparently they even got to keep some of the meat...

I know that some meat is used internally at some parks (if you have large carnivores it makes sense not to waste any meat), and when suitable probably even for internal staff dinners (not regular cafeteria, but things like the annual staff party).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE