Zippo Hand Warmer, thoughts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
How do you's cats get on with these ( the lighter fuel one, not the rods) ?
I have heard good things from some of my Arctic buddies, wonder what your real life experiences are?

Cheers cats!:)

Best.

Cat.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
How do you's cats get on with these ( the lighter fuel one, not the rods) ?
I have heard good things from some of my Arctic buddies, wonder what your real life experiences are?

Cheers cats!:)

Best.

Cat.

I use a peacock copy the large one they are exellent i rate them highly. I run mine on panel wipe from a paint supplier its the same as coleman fuel but super cheap.
get one you wont regret it ,wayne
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAKKIN-WA...728?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e81677838

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Very handy. I have a pair running, one in each pocket, during the colder months. Depending on the amount of fuel put in they can run easily 12 hours or more. I tend to use Zippo fuel, the Swan stuff smells like cat wee. Never tried panel wipe though, might be worth investigating.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
SWMBO and I have about five between us. One goes on the lanyard of my neck knife.

Highly recommended, I've been using three (sometimes lending them out!) for the last few weeks chasing badgers in Gloucestershire.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
These are awesome and run for 24 hours. £5 with a replacement catalytic warmer head!! I have two of these with more on the way. Great in the inside pockets of a coat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271230886414?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

And the same here, slightly different design, I'm waiting on their delivery too:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121015089114?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultraligh...11195052809?pt=AU_Heaters&hash=item19e3bddb09

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
These are awesome and run for 24 hours. £5 with a replacement catalytic warmer head!! I have two of these with more on the way. Great in the inside pockets of a coat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271230886414?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I bought one of those a few years ago after I bought a Peacock which is brilliant. I could NEVER get the damned thing to light! I then bought a Zippo which would light now and then but never gave out as much heat as the Peacock when it worked.

Gareth

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Have had 2 zippo handwarmers, first was great, loved it...until i lost it on a hike with my cubs....less said about that the better....the second one i got i think the burner on it is duff as it doesn't take/sustain a flame at all (think the cat foil must have fallen out when i was opening it) but i can remedy that with a replacement burner....just not got round to it yet.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Pee in your boots and stick your hands in them. Two birds with one stone and it's free.

th

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
Yep I have a Zippo and it's great. Giving a couple as Chrimble presents too. You just have to accept that you can't see that they're lit.
I can't quite fathom how they work so have decided its by magic. :)

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
3 peacock handwarmers in our household.
Standard size.
Tried a large.. Nowhere near the heat output of the standard.
Lighter fuel from the poundshop.

My two get used almost daily when I am on my winter surveying route.. One in each pocket... Toasty!

Dad had a chinese copy... Won't light very well, goes out... Not as good as the genuine item... Wonder if they make them cheaper by skimping on the platinum catalyst?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Dad had a chinese copy... Won't light very well, goes out... Not as good as the genuine item... Wonder if they make them cheaper by skimping on the platinum catalyst?

Since the catalyst is the only thing that makes it work, if they skimp on that they might as well just sell you a leaky bottle to hold the fuel!

With the (genuine) Zippo I've noticed a definite reluctance to start when the thing is really cold, but I just heat it gently all over with a blue flame lighter before lighting it. Don't go overboard if you try that, it just needs to be fairly warm to the touch.

Occasionally also I've found that if it's cold it may go out the first time it's lit, but it seems to be less likely to go out if it's carried upside down. Fuel vapour is heavier than air I suppose.

To light it I usually first put a couple of drops (no more than that) of fuel on the catalyst. It burns with a sooty flame for a few seconds, then that flame goes out leaving the catalyst glowing red.

You can see that it's burning if you look at the catalyst in the dark, it will clearly be glowing red if it's burning properly.

A couple of people that I've seen who were new these things haven't read the instructions and have tried to put the fuel into the catalyst instead of removing that part to get at the wadding beneath it. They've damaged the catalyst beyond repair that way.

Some of the clones have a separate filler hole (I have one like that from Whitby Knives) which seems to be a good idea unless you lose the little plug, or it falls to pieces which is what I expect to happen to mine.

Reactions: srod

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE