Zippo hand warmer - different fuel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I have had a zippo hand warmer for about three years now. I had only used swan lighter fluid up to last year but then the company I was working for started selling aspen fuel so I thought I would try that. It didnt smell as much when burning which was good as sometimes I have it inside my coat and you can smell it when you aren't out in the open. But it definitely didn't get as hot as the lighter fluid would. It also works out a lot cheaper so if you where happy to lose a little heat over running cost than it is fine.

I chose the zippo as it says it last for up to 12 hours and it does maybe sometimes longer! Where as the coal stick versions only last 8 hours I think. (I have just received a coal stick hand warmer so I will be testing the two together soon).

There is also the hotrox rechargeable handwarmer but my experience with electrical items getting hot usually means something I wrong!

click here for a link to aspen information.

ibdilbert

Jan 20, 2016
Ohio
I use naptha in my hand warmers, the local tractor shop sells a quart for $5.99us. Recently I tried Coleman Camping fuel, and it also worked well, but its pink and stained the cotton inside the warmer pink. Currently it doesn't appear to affect the warmer, but worry that it might coat the platinum. More information Here...

Aug 16, 2005
NE Illinois, USA
I spoke with Zippo at the SHOT Show in Las Vegas last week. They introduced a mini hand warmer in traditional chrome and a pearl white finish. Since they had fuel in cans marked "hand warmer fuel", I asked if there was a difference, and was told "it's lighter fluid".

harrismtn

ETA: Ronsonol and Zippo fluid is identical, per Zippo.

satosato

Forager
May 29, 2009
London
This is perhaps not th right season to talk about hand warmer but I was running out of zippo fuel the other day so I took the advice and run it on panel wipe, the zippo became alive again. Looking forward to using it in my Zippo hand warmer. Panel wipe 1 gallon £18, Zippo fuel 125ml £2. No brainer. Thanks for the information on panel wipe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE