Zip fuel in Crusader stove test

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
This is a quick test of 'Zip Military Cooking Fuel' which is being sold through various bushcraft and camping channels. It is an attempt to replace the smelly and hard to light hexamine blocks that have been cursed by generations of soldiers, cadets, scouts and campers.

My setup was a Crusader cup and stove, the Heavy Cover lid (good kit, but pricey and they are not kidding about it being heavy), 500 ml of water and the fuel. The conditions were a comfortable tshirt evening in my back yard with no breeze.

IMG_20130903_181808.jpg

Simple instructions and a bit of technical info:

IMG_20130903_183836.jpg

The cubes are individually wrapped:

IMG_20130903_183902.jpg

The instructions say 'Just light the wrapper' but what really happens is that you light the cube through the wrapper. The wrapper doesnt sustain a flame by itself but it burns through instantly exposing the cube. I lit it easily with a match, this was much easier than lighting a hexamine block.

The fuel burned with a bright yellow/orange flame, some black smoke and a slight generic burning smell. This was nothing like the strong fishy pong you get from hexamine, or the strange smell you get from Greenheat gel.

IMG_20130903_182235.jpg

The 500 ml of water was brought to a full rolling boil in eight minutes. I took the lid off and let it carry on, the Zip fuel kept it boiling for a further six minutes, with the heat tapering off only in the last minute or so. This is unlike hexamine which steadily reduces in heat output as the size of the block shrinks.

Here is a quick video clip:

[video=youtube;sgE_r1ZqOW0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgE_r1ZqOW0[/video]

After the boiling stopped there was another minute or so of flame from the remains of the cube:

IMG_20130903_183702.jpg

This is what was left:

IMG_20130903_183944.jpg

I poked the residue with a stick and it crumbled away. There was a little blob of unburned fuel inside:

IMG_20130903_184036.jpg

A blast from a turboflame lighter ignited this blob, so if you are being a good bushcrafter you might want to do this before dumping the ash.

IMG_20130903_184139.jpg

Just look at the state of my cup! It was completely coated in powdery black soot:

IMG_20130903_184359.jpg

A wipe of a fingertip got it off the stainless steel:

IMG_20130903_184448.jpg

And all over my finger!

IMG_20130903_184555.jpg

A quick wash with Fairy liquid under the tap cleaned it up well enough to pack away but it will need something abrasive to get it shiny again.

Summary:

Pro - lights easily, puts out lots of heat for a long time. One cube can do serious work.

Con - bright flame, extremely sooty.

I paid £3.95 for 8 cubes, putting it in the same cost bracket as Esbit, Trioxane and Greenheat. Cheap hexi can be had cheaper than that, but it isnt in individually wrapped blocks at the cheaper price points.

Of these fuels, I rate them as follows:

1. Trioxane
2. Greenheat
3. Zip
4. Esbit
5. Generic bulk hexamine

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
They arent paraffin based, its a new product. There is no smell of paraffin at all, and I run classic brass Primus stoves so I know the smell of paraffin very well :)

It would appear to be made from a reaction between palm oil or coconut oil and methanol: http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/summary/summary.cgi?cid=8050

Another new product aiming to replace hexamine is this stuff made by BCB: http://www.firedragonfuel.com/ Unfortunately it doesnt seem to be available in retail yet.

Good write-up, thanks. However, I've never had any difficulty lighting hexi blocks. If you use the matches out of rat packs, then you just light and lay the match on the block and up it goes. With a lighter, turbo-flame or ordinary, it's even easier. Saying that, I do allow myself the luxury of carrying a cheap pair of sugar tongs (4" long) to hold the block, so I don't burn my fingers. Two twigs would work just as well.

A fuel which maintains heat output throughout the burn sounds much better though, and you're right, hexi smells revolting!

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
Since I have various fuel types available I decided to do a backyard bushcraft burn-off! Each test began with 500ml of cold water from the tap. The water was heated with the Heavy Cover lid on, if a full rolling boil was achieved then the lid was removed and the test continued until the boil was no longer sustained.

First out to bat was Esbit:

IMG_20130904_174831.jpg

Esbit cubes are individually packaged, but I know that the foil is not very strong and it can easy become torn inside your brew kit, unleashing the hexamine pong.

IMG_20130904_174952.jpg

It lit from a match without too much effort, but I have had much more trouble in cold and windy conditions. It burned for about ten minutes with all the familiar fumes, but the heat output started to decline past about the six minute mark. This was the best it managed, a slight simmer with bubbles flickering at the bottom of the mug but not rising:

IMG_20130904_180202.jpg

It left very little residue:

IMG_20130904_180405.jpg

With less water I might have been able to get a decent cup of tea out of it, but this was under ideal conditions. In adverse weather it would need stoking with multiple cubes to achieve anything.

Next to take the challenge was a sachet of Greenheat gel:

IMG_20130904_181500.jpg

IMG_20130904_181427.jpg

This lit with the first decent strike from a cheap firesteel. I keep the Opinel in my fire kit for making wood shavings and striking firesteels.

IMG_20130904_182540.jpg

I wouldnt want to rely on that happening in the cold since it is alcohol based. The packaging is made to be non-toxic when burned, but every time I have tried to burn the sachet in the Crusader stove I have been left with a half-melted half-burned mess that I have to scrape out. It is better to keep it and wait till you have a proper fire or just pack it out.

It burned with a pale blue flame and an odd, almost fruity smell, not like meths at all.

IMG_20130904_182810.jpg

It burned out after six minutes which was only enough to warm the water up, it didnt even come close to boiling:

IMG_20130904_183133.jpg

It left a load of troll snot in my stove:

IMG_20130904_183218.jpg

I have used Greenheat several times in the field and I always start with two sachets. This will do me big mug of tea, a pot noodle or a can of curry.

Then things got serious as the Trioxane came out:

IMG_20130904_183809.jpg

IMG_20130904_183754.jpg

Trioxane tabs are large:

IMG_20130904_183943.jpg

When you tear open the foil packet there is a crumbly purple tablet and a load of crystalline crunchy stuff:

IMG_20130904_184109.jpg

I had to to break it in half to get it all into the Crusader stove:

IMG_20130904_184241.jpg

Trioxane is very easy to light. One strike from the firesteel did the job:

IMG_20130904_184439.jpg

It burns with a pale purple flame and very little smell or soot.

IMG_20130904_184620.jpg

It is important to know that this stuff melts and burns as a liquid. You have to have some kind of base that will hold that liquid. I have seen some people lay the tablet directly on the ground and put a US canteen cup with its stove collar on top of it, then complain it doesnt work well. They will have lost most of their fuel into the soil. Have a look at this video clip to see what I mean:

[video=youtube;Xm8iN72Vv00]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm8iN72Vv00[/video]

The big tab put out some serious heat and brought the water to a full rolling boil in seven and a half minutes, and burned out about thirty seconds later. It was over so quickly I didnt get time to take a picture of the boil. I cold weather I have had one tab fail to get to a boil, two were required.

It left a hard pitch-like mess that has to be chipped out with a stout stick:

IMG_20130904_185314.jpg

I was so surprised that yesterdays Zip fuel test was so much better than even my favorite Trioxane that I had to do it again. I also wanted to see if Zip fuel would ignite from the firesteel:

IMG_20130904_185930.jpg

Sadly, the answer is no. I tried it with the wrapper intact, and then I opened it up and showered the cube with lots of hot sparks about a dozen times but there was no sign of ignition. I gave up and zapped it with the turboflame lighter:

IMG_20130904_190501.jpg

It really is bright after trying the other fuels. Hexamine burns yellow but its got nothing on this stuff. Zip fuel really bangs out the lumens. It is also the only one of these fuels to put out any smoke.

Just like yesterday, I got a full rolling boil in eight minutes. It kept that boil going with the lid off until the twelve minute mark!

IMG_20130904_191434.jpg

Once the water stopped boiling I took the cup off and poked the weakly burning remains with a stick. The ash crumbled away and the nubbin of remaining fuel was able to burn away to nothing.

This is the state of my hand after the one touch against the side of the cup:

IMG_20130904_192034.jpg

So in summary, Zip Military Cooking Fuel won the burn-off by a huge margin. Trioxane was the only other fuel to achieve a boil and I know it can fail to do that in cold conditions. Esbit and Greenheat werent even close. Cost-wise these are all about the same per unit so Zip is giving you by far the most burn for your buck. It even burns its own packaging so you don have any litter to deal with.

The only downsides to Zip fuel are the extraordinary amount of soot, it wont ignite from a firesteel, and maybe the brightness of the flame if you are trying not to attract zombies.

There is another fuel cube, FireDragon from BCB http://www.firedragonfuel.com/ It is very new and I havent been able to get hold of any yet, but when I do I will put it up against Zip Military Cooking Fuel in another backyard bushcraft burn-off!

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Great review of all the solid fuels, might just get myself some for back up :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
It was indeed a great review! I have never heard of trioxane before and it is interesting but I think the zip ones are the best because you could use them as an effective fire lighter in wet weather.

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
Trioxane is a US Army surplus thing, I got several boxes from eBay a couple of years ago. They no longer use it so I dont know how long it will be available for.

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
I didn't think green heat was made for actual boiling? I thought it was designed as a fire igniter/accelerant only.
after all the instructions on the package clearly state "build a pyramid around the sachet".

doesn't trioxane leave a sticky residue on your cooking cup?
no big deal really since a bit of creek water and handful of sand will clean it right up! :)

thanks for the great review! :)

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
The section 'Ethanol gel fuel' on this page from BCB talks about it being used as fuel for their Crusader stove.

http://www.bcbin.com/products/product_details.php?category=b ushcraft&product=Cooking

And the Greenheat manufacturer in South Africa has many ways of selling it as a primary fuel:

http://www.greenheat.co.za/products1

And it does work okay in the Crusader as long as you arent stingy and use two sachets. This is a tin of beans and sausages I cooked up in the car park at work a couple of years ago:

[video=youtube;yMpa_Mv6-RM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpa_Mv6-RM[/video]

The one vs one format of my backyard test is somewhat unrealistic, in that you can use more than one cube/sachet/whatever of any of these fuel types to get the result that you want. However it is useful for estimating how many cubes/sachets/whatever you are likely to need.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I like the look of the firedragon stuff, it can be used as hand sanitizer as well. BCB opened up a new factory in the UK to make the stuff last year too, which is good.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I like the look of the firedragon stuff, it can be used as hand sanitizer as well. BCB opened up a new factory in the UK to make the stuff last year too, which is good.

I cannot wait for this to be released, I did hear that it together with the Crusader 2 is being launched at the DSEI next week, so hopefully we can buy it after then.

I do want to try the Trioxane, but can't get it anywere other than an ebay seller that wants £10 for 3 bars...no way am I stupid enough to pay that.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Firedragon is expected to launch in 3 weeks. The modded crusader cooker (and mug) are already available if you can find a stockist that has chosen to stock it. Are you at the DSIE?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
But will the new stove fit the existing crusader mug, hope it does as it looks like that will work with a trangia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE