Zebra billy & (garden) candle burner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yesterday I went shopping with a lady friend (I've seen every boutique with clothing in Utrecht - and believe me: there are lots of them overthere :roll: ).

On one moment we were in a warehouse (something similar like Marks & Spencer or Sainsbury's (?) in the UK) on the gardening department.
Here I found a tin filled with a candle, you can use it to enlighten your garden whilst sitting outside in summer - giving it a bit of romantic touch.

Techy details
The tin measures 16 cm in diameter and 16 cm in height, and as you can see in the pictures it has lots of ventilation holes. Costs were only 3.99 Euro (aprx. 2.86 british).

I decided to go out and do some bushcrafty with my new "toy" in the snow :eek:):

The billy in the pictures is a Zebra billy (10 cm), further more I used 3 cloth hanger metal thingies (2 were sufficient - but I think I need some thicker ones, because it became a bit wobly when they heated up ...).

Filled the billy with aprx 750 ml of (tap)water (temperature aprx 10'C). Temperature outside: aprx -3'C (mind the snow :eek:): ).

Future
In future I want to use it with a Trangia burner, and / or other more modern type burners. I maybe have to close some holes with ductape or something more suitable - preventing heat loss and making it a more effective windshield.
I think the tin is also very good as a brazier (charcoal) and small twig burner ...

A small photo "tutorial" that I made:

The stuff needed:
AAAA0001.jpg

Construction:
AAAA0003.jpg

Completed:
AAAA0004.jpg

In the snow:
AAAA0009.jpg

Billy on the "stove":
AAAA0005.jpg

Boiling water in 25 minutes:
AAAA0011.jpg

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
that is very similar to some thing woolworths sell in the kitchen and bathroom section i have been using one for a while with charcoal as a brazier great for a wok burner :wave:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
maddave said:
Nor me :?:

*edit... the pics are back !! dunno why I couldn't see em the 1st time :?:

It could be that Photobucket (where I host my pics) was down ... again ... It was yesterday while I was uploading the pics ... :roll:

Andy, I hope you're getting the pics - if not and you're still want to see them, let me know. IIRC it's possible to attach them to a PM. :?: :biggthump

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Tony said:
It's fine now mate, excellent stuff :biggthump How far did it sink into the snow? Was the wind an issue at all, for good or bad?

Hi Tony,
It sank into the snow for about 2cm (that was snow thickness), underneath that there was a large stone (not visible in the pic).

There were some real gusts / wind was blowing fiercely at some times, but it didn't affect the candle (to my surprise it didn't went out), flames were even getting a bit bigger in a gust - but this certainly had effect on the time for the water coming to a boil, because of heat loss.

The thingie that holds the flame (don't know the english word for it - my dictionary ran away :yikes: ) is some sort of a BBQ match made material - a picture of it is in "Bushcraft" by Mr. Mears, on page 67. :wink:
As you probably know (and as I found out yesterday) they burn really well, and catch alight very quickly (I used a lighter).

Hope this helped :wink:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Very similar to a stainless steel cutlery drainer sold in IKEA stores for £2 GBP. Fill with charcoal and makes a very good mini brazier.Diameter is I think 14cm so it's a close fit to the smaller zebra billies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE