Yum Yum School, project!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Ok my 6 year old is doing a project this term called yum yum, which is a look at food.

I thought that perhaps we would have a go at making some bushcraft type food for her to take into school all be it, we'll probably do it in the kitchen as I have no where to do an open fire.

Have any of you guys got any top recipes that wouldn't be completely beyond a 6 year old. Any good bannok recipes etc would be good!

Thanks guys in advance.

Pib

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How about something really simple like dried apple rings? They don't need cooked, just sliced up and threaded onto barbeque skewers or a cleanstick and dried above a radiator or in a very cool oven. If you dip them into lemon juice after they've been sliced they won't go brown though I don't usually find they do anyway.

or....

the 1960's bake a loaf in a clay plantbpot :cool: simple bread dough, new, clean, dry plant pot, lightly floured, and bake as usual :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
Fairy cakes with blackberry icing?
Blackberry icing: puree some blackberries, add icing sugar (and eat within a few days as it goes mouldy (though eating isn't normally a problem :D)).

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
How about chocolate banana's ( slice lengthways and stuff dark chocolate in and bake) or cooking apples with raisens and sultanas (de core the cooking apple and stuff the hole with raisens , sultanas and ground cinnamon and a little rum for the grown -ups..and bake. I can't claim this as my recipe, it was on the forum a while back but I've tried it and it's yum...........big wiggy style :D For Bannock try Hoodoo's recipe of Flour, milk powder and baking powder I've tried this a couple of times and last time was on the recent Dartmoor and fishing weekend. Add some cranberries and raisens into the flour before adding water to make the dough..............delicious

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Jon Pickett said:
How about sloe gin, there are lots of sloes around at the mo............... :D
Jon bought an extra litre of gin, to "sloeify" last night just for you. Well not all of it mind. :D

Anyway onto the subject at hand.

The weather is still reasonable so perhaps the meals could be cooked on the BBQ.

I'd stick with sweet stuff rather than savoury cooking, seems to capture the kids imagination more and they think they are getting sweeties.

Bannock wrapped on sticks, made into snakes using chocolate drops for eyes and red/black liqurice for its pattern or something could be fun :) Just dont make it too thin or itll drip off :eek:

Fruit Kebabs, soak the kebab sticks first then thread the fuit on, drizzle some olive oil over it and grill them. Cover them in maple syrup to finish :D

Have you thought about maybe looking at combining the topic with including where the food comes from? Perhaps if your going to make bannock you could have a play at grinding some flour from grain, there should still be some in the fields for a few more weeks. Or some of the fruit for the kebabs could come from the wild. Although strawberries are gone, blackberries and raspberries are going, apples are still out though.

You dont nessecarilly need to use the finished product but at least she would understand the principles envolved and that food isnt just ingredients from a cupboard. So perhaps a visit to an organic/free range farm might be on the cards?

Good luck with it matey.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE