Youth of today

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
I stay in Ayr and travel to Glasgow 36 miles everday on the x77 bus, mind you I,ve 3 weeks till I retire, ya beauty.
Anyway, today I met a really interesting young guy called Mikey from Jersey shore, NY USA on my travels. Got talking to him having spotted his big used ruccie and lets say he looked a free spirit, wind swept and interesting.
Mikey had just slept rough for the night in the middle of Ayr racecourse, having travelled from Ireland the night before. He was now heading to Aberdeen via Glasgow before returning to the USA. He was returning to work at a Wyoming cattle ranch to pay off his debt he had incurred over his 9 months journeying all over the world.
A young guy of 20 year old, had started in China, thro Mongolia his favourite(I,ll come back to that),India,Tibet,Russia,Europe, Spain,Morrocco,Ireland,Scotland and then heading home to the USA.
Youth of today, what an example this guy was amazing. I thouroughly enjoyed his tales of his 9 month adventures, particulary about his favourite country Mongolia which I,ve always fancied.He and his friend were invited to dine with this typical hospitable Mongolian family, well what do you do before you dine, you wash.To wash you need role up your sleeves.
Whats Mongolias favourite sport, wrestling. Now part of Mongolian culture is when you role up your sleeves the least wee bit that means you are challenging the man of the family to wrestle. Mikey unbeknown had challenged this local champion who wrestled, grabbed him and sqeezed the life out of him before he tapped out.
This guy was full of adventures and told really interesting cultural tales, Mikey was brilliant company.
The Youth of today gets bad press, lets open up and give ours the encouragement to copy the likes of Mikey.

phil

Last edited:

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice post Filcon, I thought it was going to be the typical moan when I read the title! A refreshing read, well done!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Excellent post, when i first saw the title i thought 'oh no, i wonder if this is going to turn into a ranting thread' but no, it's great to read about young people doing things like that, having adventures etc

goodjob

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
It makes a refreshing change to hear something positive about our youngsters, good post.

The majority of our youngsters are great its just unfortunate you tend to only hear about the bad ones.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, that's a good point Pete, i'm involved with a youth group and they're all great kids, we just let them plod through life and just vent when we're wound up and it does give an inaccurate impression sometimes.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
One of my friend's girls that I used to babysit is traveling next year to Uganda to help build a school in and for a village.

All her travel, food and other costs are being raised by her and she's putting everything into her preparation so that when she gets there, she's able to work her heart out.

I'm so impressed with her commitment (and that of her classmates and Church group) that I'm supplying whatever funding and gear I can.

Seeing her determination to improve her fitness level so that she'll be able achieve more really touched my heart. I'm inspired by her dedication to do good work in order that other children may have a school and the opportunity to learn.

I often find young people quite inspirational. I guess they always were, its just that I hadn't noticed before...

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Because of my job, I travel widely, often to Africa. And one thing I've noticed is the tremendous work kids on a year's VSO do. In Malawi met up with two girls on a break year who were teaching and living in a local village - virtually unpaid it would appear. The locals told me that they made huge contributions to the village and the children's education. Heard later that one of the British VSO's was killed travelling in a deathtrap known as a local minivan taxi as they couldn't afford their own transport.

Compare and contrast to the posh hotel on Lake Malawi which, everytime I visited, seemed to be permanently booked by very well-known charities for "conferences" for their big-wigs- I'm sure the swimming pool, excellent restaurant and bar, and watersports on the lake were incidental to the good causes. Admittedly, as the rooms were $140 each a night, and the food and booze expensive, there probably would be considerably less funds available for those good causes........................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE