Your Winter 2016 Cold Weather Layering System

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
All Im really using this winter is the old faithful Keela Falkland Ventile and either Bates GTX boots or Muck Boots. Ive also got a Ridgeline smock and cheapo overtrousers for the sideways rain (like today).

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
The current update on the above for Kent is a RAB MeCo 165 LS base layer with Craghopper Kiwi Pro stretch trousers. Because for reasons best known to experts, the weather is broken and the Daffodils are genuinely in flower here. White christmas? I'm starting to wonder if I should be hunting out my sun screen...

J

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Winter has three seasons for me!

Early
le cham neoprene lined wellies
cabelas merino socks
drake MST trousers
dickies padded shirt
sitka Goretex jacket
gripz gloves
fleece buff like scarf
goretex baseball cap

mid
kamik huntsman wellies
cabelas socks
drake MST trousers
regata fleece long johns
wool jumper
onyx arctic shield jacket
avery Yukon hood
showa Thermo 451 gloves zippo hand warmers

late
Baffin hunter pack boots
cabelas merino socks
Cabelas brush buster thinsulate big and brace
full regatta fleece underwear
northface primaloft jacket
drake LST down waterproof jacket
avery Yukon hood
thinsulate hat
auclair diamond miner gloves

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
The current update on the above for Kent is a RAB MeCo 165 LS base layer with Craghopper Kiwi Pro stretch trousers. Because for reasons best known to experts, the weather is broken and the Daffodils are genuinely in flower here. White christmas? I'm starting to wonder if I should be hunting out my sun screen...

J

Essex is the same, for morning dog walks recently I have not had to wear anything more then a PCS material jacket and T shirt. In the evenings I have been using a cheap parka, which I had to take off on the walk last night I was so warm.

Dec 2, 2015
Northern Sweden
Hi!
One thing that makes a ton of difference in Cold weather is the underwear. Wool underwear instead of cotton, especially when Active, is well Worth the Money.

/Daniel

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
And where we were a few days ago, Ballater, a wetsuit is probably the gear if choice now. Poor folk flooded out, my thoughts go out to them for a better 2016.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Seriously fat man here...my layering system for UK weather. I've not done Arctic level cold before, so not tried anything for that.

Cotton vest
Cotton t-shirt
Woolen jumper
Hooded top
Simple poncho if needed

Thin socks.
Plastic bags (not even joking)
Thin socks
Long John's
Jeans
Steel toe capped boots.

Does me well for most weather.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for some half-decent (i.e. cold) weather in January or February; this appalling wet and mild rubbish is truly awful. If the mercury does take a plunge and I am lucky enough to be out in it, this is what I'll be wearing:

Aclima Merino base layer
Woolpower 400 sleeveless top
Bison Bushcraft woollen shirt
Empire Canvas Works Ventile Field Coat
Finnish Army woollen trousers
Norrona Polycotton Gaiters
Jornkangan boots
Woolpower 400 socks

For the head, there'll be a woolly hat of some description and on my hands there'll be a pair of Hestra Falt Guide gloves, possibly with Woolpower fingerless liners.

If I'm only having to deal with the cold, a bit of wind and only slight precipitation, I might ditch the Ventile and head out in a Rough Stuff Loden over-the-head thing, which is truly superb. If it's going to rain (more than likely!), then I'll include a Swedish Army-styled Goretex jacket and some Berghaus trousers of similar material.

The problem with the British winter is that you can be confronted with almost anything, weather-wise, which makes it next to impossible to choose what will keep you comfortable. Still, after all this sustained dismal wet, mild, splashy, muddy stuff, here's hoping for something with real bite that makes you want to grow a beard quickly!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Aclima Merino base layer
Woolpower 400 sleeveless top
Bison Bushcraft woollen shirt
Empire Canvas Works Ventile Field Coat
Finnish Army woollen trousers
Norrona Polycotton Gaiters
Jornkangan boots
Woolpower 400 socks

No chance in Lowland GB this side of the next Ice Age!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
No chance in Lowland GB this side of the next Ice Age!

I know, all too well! Here I am in grey Gloucestershire, squelching around in shirtsleeves and wellies! Still, we can but hope... Come on, you Jetstream - give us the winter we want!

Last edited:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I know, all too well! Here I am in grey Gloucestershire, squelching around in shirtsleeves and *******! Still, we can but hope... Come on, you Jetstream - give us the winter we want!

You may wish to edit your post!

Last edited:

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
For hard manual work in all the weather oddities and extremes of the Scottish highlands:

Buffalo special 6 and montane extreme smock to go over the top when I stop.

Pfanner double stitched leather chainsaw boots.

Pfanner chainsaw trousers.

simple!

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
-27 celsius in Finland.

From top to bottom:

#Woolbuff to cover ears
#WWII German-styled wool cap

#Wool/cotton blend fabric undershirt
#Thin wool sweater
#Thicker wool sweater
#Fjällräver Reporter vest for all the edc-gear
#Wool jacket

#Aclima wool net underpants
#Cotton twill cargo pants

#Three pairs of thinnish woolsocks
#German jackboot-styled leather boots

Last edited:

Brynglas

I'm just prepping for a ski touring trip to Italy, ten days of touring Hut to Hut and bivvying in snow holes or below the tree line. Top to bottom as follows:

Merino beanie,
Wool buff x 2

Merino baselayer (Aldi/ Howies/ Ice-breaker -tbh the quality is roughly the same as far as I can tell.

Selection of Underarmour synthetic boxers or Patra silk boxers and long John's.

Mind layer: Depending on circumstance/ levels activity.
- Buffalo Mtn shirt.
Paramo- Mountain shirt, Torres gilet and Aspira smock.
Eider saloppettes, 15 years old and still going strong having required online few minor repairs.
SnowShepherd French 'bin man' Gloves. Great winter gloves, all leather, tough as boots, warm and originally designed for use by Council Workmen in the Alps. Much favoured by guides and ski workers. My old Hestra gloves will come as spares.
Wool ski socks from a variety of suppliers.
My touring boots are made by Garmont they fit a telemark ski and have a mountaineering sole that I can use with crampons..
For sleeping I carry a synthetic Snugpak Elite bag which is great for snowholes and hut winter rooms. I pack a silk liner for huts if I need a bit more insulation.

Carried in an Alpine Aiguille Haute Route 40l rucksack, great for carrying a load securely whilst skiing.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Worn yesterday in Wales minus 5 degrees

Alpkit Merino wool long sleeved baselayer, Jack Wolfskin micro fleece and Buffalo top
2 pairs socks both wool, Brasher Hillmaster boots
generic long johns from e bay and Rohan bags
Karrimor synthetic cycling beanie and Barbour baseball type cap
Carried and worn when stopped or in shade RAB Merino gloves which would be my top tip for walking

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE