Your thoughts on a cheap, reliable (locking) folder??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Hello all, first off- I hope you all had a pleasant christmas!

Now, I know cheap and quality don't go together (with exceptions) but do you have any thoughts on a cheap folder for say around £20 that keeps its edge and is sharp enough for quickly cutting webbing, seatbelts and rope?

I've looked at some of the cheaper gerbers and bokers but have not yet decided on a type. Ideally a window punch would be a bonus too! I had considered the Gerber DMF manual folder with a built in pommel. Any thoughts?

Ive already wasted some money on a folding Lomo which was terrible so any help would be appreciated!

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
Wherever I choose to live.
S&W First Response works okay for the extremely cheap price, Buck Rescue Redpoint seems quality, Boker Magnum rescue seems okay, Tool Logic SL6, SOG escape, or a dedicated rescue tool like the Leatherman Z Rex, or the Benchmade Houdini Pro.

Last edited:
Joker folder in carbon steel...

Seconded. Got one for my birthday and never leaves my side unless i'm asleep
possibly not style you are after if you want window punch. Maybe a dedicated rescue tool would be more suitable? i seem to recall you can get them in places like halfords but i could be wrong. Also i think the blade is incorporated into a slot so it can't be used as a cutting tool other than slashing through a seatbelt

Last edited:

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
If your after a knife with seatbelt cutter and window punch forget the Opinels, Spydercos and other normal, basic folders. As Shovel has pointed out you need a DEDICATED RESCUE KNIFE. I keep a cheap one in the car i picked up from the Outdoor Show a couple of years ago for around 18 quid. Unfortunately I'm warm and tucked up in bed and can't remember what it is!

You can pick up something like the Gill for 22.50

http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/2013-gill-folding-personal-rescue-knife-mt002-p-4015.html

Last edited:

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
How about a (magnum semper) which has a partialy serated blade with a seat belt cutter and window breaker on the end £11.95 - (blackfox tactical rescue model)£10.95 with too many bits to mention - or the one i edc a (fox knives rescue tool) £9.95. All sold on Heinnies or any other good knife site !

cheers andrew.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Thanks Andrew, some excellent choices there!

How about a (magnum semper) which has a partialy serated blade with a seat belt cutter and window breaker on the end £11.95 - (blackfox tactical rescue model)£10.95 with too many bits to mention - or the one i edc a (fox knives rescue tool) £9.95. All sold on Heinnies or any other good knife site !

cheers andrew.

Anyone know what the blades are like on these cheaper Bokers? should I be expecting it to arrive sharp?

Kershaw do a good range of quality folders, I have an early model 'Kudu' which is bullet proof.
kershaw_zpse94aaa40.jpg

Willowisp

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2013
Reutlingen, Germany
Also recommend the Victorinox. The blade is sharp as hell and the locking mechanism seems to be rocksolid. Mine is a few years old and has seen a lot of (ab)use without any complaints. I think (not sure) there is also an option for one handed opening, in case you want to use it as an emergency knife.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
My favourite folder is the EKA "Super Swede". I have two of them.

The reason I have two is that about twenty years ago, unknown to me, my first one fell out of my tool-box into the tail light cluster of my car. I didn't find out that's where it was until about five years later when the dealer had to change a bulb at a service. The mechanic found it and left it on the seat. Unexpectedly good of him, I thought. Anyway in the meantime SWMBO had got fed up of me looking for it almost every night and popping notes into the neighbours' letter-boxes, and she bought me another to replace it.

They stopped making it a while back, but apparently they had so many people asking about it that they started making it again under the new name "Swede 92".

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/...lock-back-with-a-choice-of-handles-3960-p.asp

As you'll see the locking mechanism release is slightly unusual in that the lanyard attachment doubles as the release lever. In an emergency it could also be (ab)used to break glass. I did once cut a seat belt with one when I came across an accident on the way to work but all the glass was already broken!

It might cost a bit more than you said although you do see them for sale here now and again. Even at the new price I'd say it's worth every penny. I do like the 12c27 steel, it holds a good edge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE