Your possibles pouch - show and tell

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Having just got my hands on a top quality pouch, courtesy of Leon's great workmanship, I'm wondering what I really need to put in it. So, what's in yours? I've seen all the lists and stuff in other threads, but how about some pics?
Chris

J

jackmcmanus21

thats a beautiful pouch...i'd throw my knife in there for sure

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
just had a quick glance in mine, current contents:
about 10metres of paracord
opinel #8
3"crepe bandage
baggie with a couple of dozen KFC wipes and a pack of tissues
1litre platypus
about 5 metres of thin nylon cord
35mm film cannister match safe (wrapped in loads of insulating tape)
DC3

that's about it at the moment, contents do vary quite a lot. there's usually a little repair kit in there as well, no idea why it's not at the moment

hope this helps,

stuart

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I hope you are adding a picture to that post soon!

I'll do mine over the weekend if time permits, just got in from work and gonna have some tea. I don'ttend to have one loadout though, I try different things.

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
For the record, though I'm always open to suggestions.
carry.jpg

Typical items carried include knife around neck with whistle (mostly for dog) and photon for finding things at night. In trouser pockets goes mosi net (Certain places on the planet where your enjoyment can be ruined without one of these.), survival tin (just in case), matches in film canister (preferred fire starting), head torch, Miniature Binoculars ( usually for those moments when you wish you had binoculars....oh yeh!, come in handy for navigation on lakes and savannah, peat bogs, etc.).
Possibles pouch on either trouser belt or rucksack belt.

possible.jpg

Contents of possibles pouch:
1.Spoon (yummo!)
2.Fire steel with carbineer lanyard used to secure and for extra purchase when hands are so cold you can’t grip!(Not used that often, mostly for lighting spirit burner)
3.Notebook (tinder, route info, observations, visa numbers, mag deviations, sunrise/sunset, emergency numbers, useful phrases, bus/train/flight times you get the picture almost indispensable when travelling)
4.Water proof ink Space pen (I’m one of those annoying people who scribbles information all over their maps)
5.Non adherent dressing in notebook (readily available one handed, squeak!)
6.Ditty box (see below)
7.Handy Andies (Best piece of outdoor kit invented, use as tinder, clean glasses, soak up blood, filter water, apply DEET to sensitive areas, wipe ****, etc.)
8.‘Tuned’ Swiss army knife (a much underrated item by most), type with small wood saw and locking blade. reground small screwdriver to fit glasses, sharpened awl to decent point, put very fine point on tweezers to remove ticks/splinters, thin blade is very good for food prep (and you know where it’s been), can opener, bottle opener, corkscrew, awl has an eye for threading and cutting edge for tapered reaming, brilliant!)
9.Vaseline Balloon; contains Vaseline and some cotton balls soaked in the stuff. Party balloons are cheap 100% waterproof, burn better than inner tubes in an emergency, act as shock cords at a pinch, don’t leave black smudges on you or your kit, can be used as additional water carriers. I cut the fat end of and use it as an elastic band to seal the rest of the balloon. ( when canoeing I put some strike anywhere matches in a party balloon with a bit of sand paper and knot the end, then distribute them around my person and kit). Vaseline is always carried, used to keep grazes/minor burns clean, stop wet clothes chaffing / blisters forming, can waterproof boots (feet in really wet sock emergencies only), act as a temporary seam sealant, act as lip balm, etc. I always wipe my carbon steel blade with a thin layer after using it, stops corrosion from ever forming. Why more people don’t carry the stuff is beyond me?
10.Metholated spirit in pump spray bottle. This is used to clean glasses/binos/camera, act as hand sanitizer/antiseptic (stings a bit), cleans tar of kit, sprayed onto paper towel and lit (watch your eye boroughs). Transparent bottle, so you can see how much you have left, wrapped in duct tape. First piece of duct tape on roll about 200mm long and end folded over to form a small finger tab, this is used with the notebook dressing as a one handed waterproof emergency wound dressing. A mate of mine is a tree surgeon, they always carry some strips like this stuck to the inside of their jackets to quickly patch up chainsaw injuries.........In my book, first aid is just that, immediate. No good having a kit of fancy stuff stowed away somewhere inaccessible. Stabilise the injury, find shelter, calm down and think clearly, then play doctor properly or find some help.
11.Mosi repellent (essential!!!)
12.Map wheel, biggest part of not getting into trouble is not being too ambitious! (compass is always tied in to my smock pocket or around my wrist when travelling, good quality button compass in survival tin)
13.Nylon pouch with big belt loops and secure zip closure (Not very sexy, but practical. I think one day I will make a good leather one.)
ditty.jpg

Contents of ditty box
1.Wetfire tinder (for when I’m cold, tired, miserable and can’t be arsed.)
2.Sabre saw blade is used for striking fire steel and cutting any metal or plastic, taped to it are some fine needles.
3.Safety pins ( When I lose a button mid hike, but also double as clothe pegs with Paracord)
4.Heavy needles and waxed linen thread.
5.Puratabs (water purifiers) see 1 above for wet fire tinder.
6.Epoxy putty (very useful for all types of mends)
7.Stropping paste (used with belt to razor edge knife.)
8.Small fine carbidium stone (aggressive sharpening of a nicked tool, handle with care)
9.Small plastic box with ‘duct tape’ finger plaster/band aid.
10.Fire steel for scale.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE