Your picture of the day...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

twyforge

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2013
Winchester
Aj9xcAbrF3FjAcEWw-1iYae2Hb3C4hjvymP5Oem6aePNwEBJ_1pTieY62X_CPpmvxid6yHxoK7oD2BhKHGqRAZo9V32x7TTF6hWkLmy8aIVJ5rhSoOCe9cJ07m4_hMQ_YxPl1GLjoyLePmoDmnEIMobqSfPfeWRprTuuwuExXpN3ns16RZ2gBdk-ZQeSF97PEytFIWgNvfBWTIFFwXoomtbTxtn9J94IJm88ACzIZBdQpLnoTvGV1Y5DZQUKAY4vwmzIgJGkTMvRIcI19l7Rp56YDF9xZ2KXlZwnVz9qCIyYpSybCZnvPQfCO6vC6ZKZQ4juNweR0tbx2NHW1WXEMowlVVuRrbaaN2G8mslQk9esWG8M7u9omXdrJ7-bm0yAxDZKzd9ItUi-Z_yk4zG7gxTCckpluD6efuSuN9R1SN7rrUs7_V3Oqs9FKgWSfRxl9WDsePWWNzZrPvt72PxY3LzuBZFmYx4gv_mEYwWGGB9KPlFnWoMBVsE9T0lPQKonOo1oVRwb7VUhT405gRVFVPDnXHfiZfCtuXXQy019raY=w1356-h1017-no

Late evening photograph from the garden, I was amazed at how much light there was to be captured on a 10 second exposure, despite the fact that it was pitch black to the eye.

Honest Outrage

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2015
Midlands
Beautiful tree. The half facing the sun as it rises has turned a lovely yellow, and the other half green. Couldn't of asked for a better view with some brunch and a brew on Saturday.

IMG_1044.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I spent a good few Sunday afternoons asleep in that tree, due to the effects of the best farm made cider. In my youth, we'd go to two or three farms with our empty demi-johns and make up a blend for the coming week.

As this is the true heart of Herefordshire cider making, it was rare to get away without a fair amount of collatoral damage, and this is where I would, along with a handfull of Greyhounds, sleep it off! :)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
The absolutely magnificent yew tree in the churchyard at Much Marcle, Herefordshire.

You eventually got to see it then Harvestman :) I’ve stood by that that tree many times, it’s a very fine specimen. The whole area around there is very nice with some lovely walks, The Woolhope Dome, Haugh Wood and Cherry Hill Woods are all very familiar to me, there’s a nice viewpoint at Capler Camp over the Wye at Brockhampton (though the view is a little shrouded by trees). If you like a bit of local history Fownhope (just up the road from that yew tree) is the birthplace of Tom Spring (real name Tom Winter born 1795), there is a memorial stone to him by Rudge End farm on the road between Fownhope and Woolhope, he was heavyweight champion boxer between 1821-1824 (so it may not be your thing), boxing matches used to take place by the old bridge at Mordiford in those days. Another nice place to visit is Hellens Manor in Much Marcle which is only about 500 metres north east of that yew tree, it’s an interesting place to visit, it has a very old cider mill which is still used today every autumn to make cider and perry for the Big Apple Weekend (perhaps you already know about Hellens Manor). On the subject of cider, there used to be an old fellow (now dead) that lived not far from Much Marcle by Capler Wood who made cider every year but he was teetotal and never drunk a drop himself, he just sold it to other folks. I am familiar with Westons cider but haven’t been there for a while, they used to offer free taste tests of their cider. As a kid I used to camp on what is now Lucks All caravan site near Holme Lacey, back then it was just a field for grazing cows which you shared the field with and owned by a coal merchant called Mr. Powell, now it is a very posh caravan site. Sorry to ramble on.

The Tom Spring (real name Tom Winter, 1795-1851) engraved memorial stone by Fownhope.
3068586_39fa8be4.jpg

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
You eventually got to see it then Harvestman :) I’ve stood by that that tree many times, it’s a very fine specimen. The whole area around there is very nice with some lovely walks, The Woolhope Dome, Haugh Wood and Cherry Hill Woods are all very familiar to me, there’s a nice viewpoint at Capler Camp over the Wye at Brockhampton (though the view is a little shrouded by trees). If you like a bit of local history Fownhope (just up the road from that yew tree) is the birthplace of Tom Spring (real name Tom Winter born 1795), there is a memorial stone to him by Rudge End farm on the road between Fownhope and Woolhope, he was heavyweight champion boxer between 1821-1824 (so it may not be your thing), boxing matches used to take place by the old bridge at Mordiford in those days. Another nice place to visit is Hellens Manor in Much Marcle which is only about 500 metres north east of that yew tree, it’s an interesting place to visit, it has a very old cider mill which is still used today every autumn to make cider and perry for the Big Apple Weekend (perhaps you already know about Hellens Manor). On the subject of cider, there used to be an old fellow (now dead) that lived not far from Much Marcle by Capler Wood who made cider every year but he was teetotal and never drunk a drop himself, he just sold it to other folks. I am familiar with Westons cider but haven’t been there for a while, they used to offer free taste tests of their cider. As a kid I used to camp on what is now Lucks All caravan site near Holme Lacey, back then it was just a field for grazing cows which you shared the field with and owned by a coal merchant called Mr. Powell, now it is a very posh caravan site. Sorry to ramble on.

The Tom Spring (real name Tom Winter, 1795-1851) engraved memorial stone by Fownhope.
3068586_39fa8be4.jpg

It was the Big Apple event that I went to, and Hellens Manor is the focal point of the event. I cleaned myself out of cash entirely there, so I ended up at Westons cider as the only place thereabouts that takes card payment. they were still doing lots of free tastings, and their samples were not small either :) Easy to overdo it when you are driving. After two ciders and a perry I purchased a case of organic cider (£5 off for the festival :cool:) and went home before I did any more financial damage. Got home with 14 varieites of apple, 3 of pears, some quince, a new book (on apples) and a case of cider. I call that a good day out.

Thanks to everyone for looking and for the extra information.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE