Your picture of the day...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Orb spiders are artistic :cool:. They also have the advantage that they stay still to be photographed, although this one was bouncing about due to wind on the web.

Jumping spiders are beautiful, and will respond nicely to a mirror if you want to photograph them, but one thing they don't do much is stay still!

If you get a close look at some of those 'evil hunched up sneaky ones' some time, they turn out to be pretty too. Honest :rolleyes:

I think the best bit of spider footage I saw was on a documentary a few years back, to show how bright the jumping spider was they put it on a vertical 3d maze with some grub across from it but out of jumping range. The spider went over to the edge of it's platform and spent some time looking at the maze and the food. Once it had worked it out over the edge it went and didn't take a wrong turn once, it had memorised the route it had worked out. Scarily smart.

I don't know about the big ones in the house - they ambush me. Me no likey.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Me, being a twit, on and in the River Dart...

Ivan...

June 2nd out and about 020.jpg June 2nd out and about 024.jpg

Attachments

• June 2nd out and about 023.jpg
    June 2nd out and about 023.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 32
  • June 2nd out and about 022.jpg
    June 2nd out and about 022.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
adypanub.jpg

Not bad for a cardboard cut out

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
In pedantic mode, water that is as cold as ice is usually referred to as .... ice. :rolleyes: It is moderately more difficult to swim in than water.

In Ultra pedantic mode unless the water is at it's "Triple Point" temperature where it can exist in all three states - solid, fluid & gas. LINK :rolleyes:

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
To be honest, (not pedantic) It was a bit cold but very refreshing, the bit in the second photo is called The Witches Cauldron, you have to swim up to it and climb out, it's very hard, i got too tired trying yesterday, but i will return!

I have done this sort of thing, every year since i was 40 (to let me know i am still alive) Missed last year, due to Lymes Disease, but working my way down the list in my 50th year.

Ivan...

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
No idea. It was too windy to get a close up pic and the flies were quite spooky. I was quite pleased that one picture turned out ok. The leaves behind were blowing around and just closed up that patch of sky so I didn't get a perfect silhouette. I guess I could cheat and photoshop it though...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE