Your first proper fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
Ok then what was it and when.

I'll start with being 7 on my first cub camp in Dalby forest just outside scarborough. The mission was to cook sausages for lunch and I didn't have much of an idea.

Took me a whole box of matches, half a tree and I set fire to the pan making half a dozen charcoal briquetts with pink innards.

Tasted ok with a lot ketchup though and my second attempt was better once I was told that 8 foot flames do not make a good cooking fire - a lesson I still struggle to pass on :)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
What do you mean by "proper fire"? I was lighting the coal fire at home from the age of about 7...

pag_3833

May 9, 2007
suffolk - uk
indeed. ever since i remember i was lighting big fires in the garden with my father and helping with bbq's etc. I dont really remember my first camp fire with food either as id always tag along with my brother and his friends when they were doing it. Getting the fire so hot that it melts the pan with food inside etc - ahh good old memories

African

Mar 12, 2007
Stevenage
Can't remember as in South Africa I was taught about fires, BBQ, from as long ago as I can remember. Was about 9 when I got to do my first solo BBQ or braai as they say in the colony!! Was a sucess though chicken and Boerewors, a South African sausage!!! In South Africa we never used charcoal but wood which had to burn down to a bed of coals before you cooked!!! :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE