Your favourite bushcraft toy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Atellus

Jul 15, 2007
Warrington, Cheshire
Mine is helicopter seeds :D

I just spent a productive half hour standing in the garden flicking them over the edge of the patio (which sits about 3 to 4 feet higher than the lawn, so makes a cool launching platform). I've discovered that if you position one upside down (sail/wing pointing down) on your index finger, using forefinger and third finger to hold it in place while "cocking" your index finger with your thumb, then release at a high angle of attack rather than horizontally, you can get a reliable boomerang effect, which is even better, because you get multiple goes from the same seed! :cool:

The only downside to helicopter seeds is that they're seasonal :(

What's your favourite? It can be anything naturally occurring or "crafted" from natural materials, but remember that finding joy in simple pleasures is a virtue, so the more hard work that goes into preparing your toy, the less fun it is by definition! ;)

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Elder pop guns!!Hollow out a length of elder,get a hazel stick that will fit just inside,put an acorn in one end and stick in the other and fire!(in a piston type motion!)

Thanks for this thread,it takes me right back...

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
This would make a great thread "show us your bushcrafty toys" :)
Just simple little toys like these that can be made out in the woods, for errr the kids you understand :eek:

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
You can make an easy whistle with an acorn "cup" same sort of way as you would with a blade of grass.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE