your cooking pot what do you use ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
For the last 3 or 4 years I've used the large pot from Tesco-the one in this set, you can buy them for £3 singly in the store.
http://direct.tesco.com/product/images/?R=200-4142
It is very light weight and when you are cooking for two, it's ace for making pasta dishes.
My stove usually goes inside (whsiperlite), and when I've no stove it sits nicely on the fire on top of a small round stainless grill stands that come out combi microwaves. You know I've often thought about expensive stainles sand titanium pots when I go in to climbing shops but tbh, I can't see how any of them are better than this. Sorted!

I do have an old kettle that I've had for many many years that I used before I bought the kelly kettle, it still gets used now n then! As here on an island in Loch Maree! Simplicity at its best!
f4cf3f54.jpg

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
When I carry along a cooking pot of some sort, I usually drag along this iron-rimmed copper kettle that I made up.

IronRimCopperKettle1.jpg

Or one of these iron-rimmed tin-lined brass kettles.

IronRimKettles3.jpg

I made them up to fit into the mid 1600's to mid 1700's time periods. And most of my camping trips are done with clothing/gear that also fits into those early time periods.

Yes, I know all the "dangers" associated with using an un-lined copper kettle, and I take all normal precautions when using them.

Hmmm ... in use action pics? I usually don't have a camera along. I'll see if I can find a pic stored somewhere on this "infernal machine".

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. I've also used many simple little pots/kettles made from a food can and a short section of wire for a bale handle - the classic "hobo pot".

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Zebra 14cm Billy. Takes 2 rat pack pouches and you can leave it on the fire embers happily ticking over for near constant hot water. I've since replaced the stupid handle with a chain.
I'd like some Bulldog's but cannot find them anywhere.
DSCF0004-1-1.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hmmmm, I wonder if Coleman and Tatonka are selling pots from the same producer.
At least they sure look suspiciously similar.

"Tatonka Kettle"
kettle_100.jpg

Hmmm, ya know, I may have mispoken. That might not be a Coleman. The Colemans do not have the little hump in the handle. I can't tell from my own photo if that does or doesn't but if it does, then it would be an MEC pot.

Also, the older Coleman pots are made of heavier gauge stainless steel than the newer ones.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Hmmm, ya know, I may have mispoken. That might not be a Coleman. The Colemans do not have the little hump in the handle. I can't tell from my own photo if that does or doesn't but if it does, then it would be an MEC pot.

Also, the older Coleman pots are made of heavier gauge stainless steel than the newer ones.

Interesting!
Seems to me like MEC (the hump is there) has taken a couple of pots from the same manufacturer as Tatonka and put them together to make a set out of them. At the same time swapping Tatonkas crappy frying pan holder for a proper pot holder. And to a very attractive price to boot!!
At least the Tatonka 1.6 liter kettle looks identical to the one seen in the MEC link, and so does the 2.5 liter Tatonka kettle.
Or is MEC is the distributor for Tatonka products in the USA and have chosen to put their brand name on the pots.
Does it matter? Not really as long as they work well. And they do!! :D

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Interesting!
Seems to me like MEC (the hump is there) has taken a couple of pots from the same manufacturer as Tatonka and put them together to make a set out of them. At the same time swapping Tatonkas crappy frying pan holder for a proper pot holder. And to a very attractive price to boot!!
At least the Tatonka 1.6 liter kettle looks identical to the one seen in the MEC link, and so does the 2.5 liter Tatonka kettle.
Or is MEC is the distributor for Tatonka products in the USA and have chosen to put their brand name on the pots.
Does it matter? Not really as long as they work well. And they do!! :D

MEC is a Canadian Co-op. Don't be fooled by the low price. There's a hidden charge in there that's a killer. I think it's a co-op membership fee or a small order fee. Small order fee maybe. I can't recall. They have pretty good pots though. MEC is a great company. Been around for a long time, since the early 70s that I know of.

Just tried to figure out what that extra charge was and could not find it. Membership was only $5 so that could not be it. Maybe they changed their policy but I recall when I bought mine, there was an extra charge of $20-30 I had to pay.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cheers Shewie, i've got a set of them and found they're alright for what they are. My zebra 14cm is more robust though (i tend to batter kit quite a bit, warped my Kelly kettle fire bowl the first time!)

Yeah me to, I kicked it over once the fire had gone out and gave it a little tap with my foot to loosen the ashes. Turns out I bent the rim back about half inch in the process. Oops

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE