your cooking pot what do you use ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jean baptiste

Tenderfoot
helle every one ( yes yes i now mi english is not very good o) i'working about )
well what do you use when you go "bushcraft ??? " if you can post your cookink pot in action and how do you use it
on the fire or near the fire or why not under !
i 'use a zebra handle pot on the fire

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I have no pictures, but I used improvised stainless steel kitchen cutlery containers. I've several sizes, depending on what's being cooked and how many people there are.
Effectively, a billy can, I suppose.
Oh, and I have a little frying pan bought from Wilkinsons and the plastic handle replaced for wood. Specially for early morning bacon sarnies.
All good days start with a bacon sarnie!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Aluminum "Bulldog" billy... had a set for years and still going strong...
DSCN2008.jpg

Same "Bulldog" & a cheap Stainless one...
DSC00471.jpg

Crusader mess tin on folding wood burner...
DSC00491.jpg

Hobo stove & zebra billy...
DSC00432.jpg

Crusader mug & cook set...
DSC00292.jpg

Think I have too many options open.... no wonder I take so long to pack these days.

Simon

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Stainless steel cake tin, with handles fitted by me. same size as a zebra but costing about £4 in total. Plus a crusader and that does all of it.

Sandsnake

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have Bulldogs also, over 20 years old and still going strong.

Have allsorts of stainless pots aswell which get used on the hobbo

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Shewie, SimonM, many thanks for the Bulldog endorsements, I've been going on about these for a long time but my rants have been ignored. Great kit, cheap as chips, does what it says on the box. I guess if you stuck a Zebra label on them people would be queuing up to buy them :(

So, main pans for me are Bulldog set (2,4, and 6 pint), army mess tins (I had no idea you could get stainless steel versions until I was given a set recently), Highlander or Gelert (can't remember, its those aluminium pans I've been using) nesting set (8 -10 - and 12 pint) and of course pukka Trangia pans. I've got some BIG catering pans and a massive kettle I can't take until I get transport sorted out for myself

Crusader mug for drinking tea or beer from (they are very good for that)

I don't do titanium, the pans are too small for real food and I'm too tight with the cash to spend £15+ on a mug

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I use either a 16cm or 12cm zebra billy can (depending if i'm with my girlfriend or not) and a primus litech frying pan.

Sometimes when i'm not using a fire i'll take amy msr blacklite classic cookset.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I bought myself a Swiss army trangia set back in the summer and they are my preferred pots now, it used to be my old army mess tins, but no longer. I also have a very old set of the larger Trangia pots from about 1960 or thereabouts, but very rarely do they see the light of day now. I also used to use an old biscuit/chocolates tin as an oven although they rarely lasted more than a single outing but have just bought a dutch oven so I reckon that will have a place now aswell as the SAT.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Shewie, SimonM, many thanks for the Bulldog endorsements, I've been going on about these for a long time but my rants have been ignored. Great kit, cheap as chips, does what it says on the box. I guess if you stuck a Zebra label on them people would be queuing up to buy them :(

Exactly, or if some chappy on the telly had used them once they`d be the Gucci pot to have.

Mine have seen me through years of meths burning, then gas and petrol and lastly open fires, fair enough they`re a lot blacker than they used to be but that doesn`t matter.

wizzzard

Sep 15, 2008
Stalybridge
Sorry no pictures.
I use my Swedish Army Mess Kit.
Cheap as chips and I've not melted/burnt the aluminium yet, small fires within the windshield or sitting in the embers of a fire. You can always use the meths burner if wood fires are prohibited.

EdS

MSR Alpine cook set tha I'vehad for years and a new set of cheap stainless steel camping shop pan set.

How do you guys get on with Al? Every Al pan I've had has corroded and become very pitted. Got rid of the trangia as the pans basically rotten (and I went of the slow bulky package). Even my Kelly Kettle has pitted and sprung a leak.

At least they last slightly longer than I normally get out of car.

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
Heres what I resurrected from my primitive kit.
Its a 1qt tin mug and a "corn" boiler. Boiler fits inside of mug for easy carrying. You can stuff a lot of extras into the boiler so saves space in the pack.
Still grungy from todays trip.
Jon R.

100_0320.jpg

100_0318.jpg

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk

I have had mine since being a Scout - I'm 38 now and still use them if I am with a group doing central messing.

They have been used on gas, meths and multi fuel stoves but more often than not open fires.

Simon

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
For TWEG, soup, pasta and water for Travel Lunch dehydrated meals I use the Jetboil PCS 1lt pot on the PCS.

For other cooking I use the Jetboil 1.5lt Groupset pot and the Jetboil Frypan on the PCS.

The Outback Oven goes on an MSR Pocket Rocket and Optimus Stella+ gas stoves and Camping Gaz Globetrotter pots get used on a Grilliput with firebowl.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
I mainly use the Tatonka stainless billies. Different sizes depending if I'm going alone or if more people are coming along.
Bombproof stuff that work just as well on an open fire as they do on top of a trangia or primus cooker.

/ Karl

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Coffee can from TK Max, I made a set of them about 8 years ago and they do me on my own and all the family if need be, the whole lot (4 posts cost me a tenner). They're Stainless, I braided welding rod for the handles and put a wooden knob on. They've been used for all sorts of cooking and baking.

nettle_soup_and_fish8.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE