Your choice of tinder and why

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
I love nothing more than playing with different bushy things and this weekend I'm collecting different tinders for a demo I'm doing next week I have my obvious favorates and was wondering what everyone else likes and why

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Birchbark, fomes, chaga, more birchbark :) reedmace or thistleheads and mugwort

Really depends on what I'm doing with it. If I'm using the firebow then I stuff a clabby dhub with dried mugwort, birchbark and reedmace or thistledown; if I'm trying to draw a fire on then I'll use the firecrackle and birchbark with dried grass. If I want to catch a spark, I'll use fomes or chaga.

atb,
M

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Birch most of the time or feather sticks if the material and weather is right,
Rubber strips when its wet and nasty and it all goes wrong. There are lots of others but they are the main users.

colly

Forager
Apr 10, 2010
Edenbridge Kent
Cotton wool for the wood burner and cotton wool and petroleum jelly for outdoors or if i'm feeling the need to prove myself silver birth, old mans beard or grass.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Feathersticks for the win!
Birch bark for spark firelighting but there's not much of that around here.
Dry grass can easily be ignited with embers, less easily so with ferrocerium sparks in my experience.

One thing I hate is reedmace down. Especcially indoors. You get all covered up with fluff in your throat and nose and eyes.
Those things just explode. Call me paranoid but that mean plant deliberately tries to use me and my dog to spread it's seeds.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Cotton wool because it's readily available and takes up no room at all.
Reed mace because of the sheer volume that can be acquired from one head.
Birch bark because it's dependable.
Char cloth because it's easy to prepare and smoulders slowly.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Old wasp nests
Brazil nuts - others as well but Brazils make great Christmas candles.
Feather sticks will take a spark from a ferro-rod.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Jul 19, 2013
Southwestern USA
In no particular order, here are mine:

Pine Pitch (best accelerant around)
Feather sticks and shavings
Cotton balls with vaseline or Palmade (easy and almost everyone has these items)
Dryer Lint
Birch Bark

General Strike

Forager
May 22, 2013
United Kingdom
My favourite tinder packages so far are:

Clematis down+twiggy bits, wrapped in a bit of birch bark - autumn through to early spring

Lime tree fluff collected and dried, wrapped in birch bark - summer

Both are better if fluffed up rather than compressed although the clematis works better a little more densely packed. Lime fluff seems positively flame-retardant unless very loosely fluffed up - but then is like gunpowder when done right. The birch bark/clematis twigs then take the flame to the next level nicely, letting me go straight to small sticks most of the time.

I haven't tried willowherbs as I only find small varieties in my local area, so collecting enough fluff is not very practical.

Another point is that the peel-y birch varieties are not native as far as I can tell - I find them in ornamental planting but never in the wild. The only native silver birch I've used is from dead trees, where the inner wood had rotted leaving the bark easy to peel off. I cleaned up the inside and dried it well before use. However I have found a range of peely types with qualities ranging from papery coming off in ragged strips, or large sheets, to some where a plate with the consistency similar to lollipop stick could be peeled off without removing the new bark underneath. I think some are North American and others are Himalayan. So although they are an available resource, it would be interesting to find native substitutes.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE