your camp setup?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 22, 2009
dorking, surrey
hi all ,
was just thinking about camp setups for 1-2 nights as i have quite alot coming up and was wondering wat everyone eleses camp setups were like and wanted to know if anyone's got some good setups or setup tips
thanks
joshua:camping:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I usually use this setup as demonstrated by Wil

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43612&highlight=hammock+tutorial

A couple of shots from last weekend.
DSC01541.jpg

DSC01540.jpg

Are you a ground dweller or hammocker ?

Last edited:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
This is one of my Ground Dwelling setups. Rollmats & Bivvybags with a tarp over. The cream blanket in the middle is where the dog sleeps (both bushcrafters steal the warmth)
213qm29.jpg

Fire is a little way off and setup as below....

11mc6r6.jpg

Hope this is of use

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
At a Middlewood Meet...
DSCN2896.jpg

On Scout camp...
SDC14040.jpg

On a course...
WoodloreBushcraftFundamentals-Aug20.jpg

later on the course...
WoodloreBushcraftFundamentals-Au-1.jpg

A windy night out...
DSCN2973.jpg

Same windy night, different angle...
DSCN2980.jpg

Poncho, flying "V" set up...
DSCN3024.jpg

So, to sum up...I have no "standard set-up" as it depends on so many different factors:D

Simon

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Simon - Is that a snugpac hooped bivvy, stratos or whatever its name is on the last photo?

Nice sort of cave tarp set-up you have on 5th and 6th photo, can you let me know how you get it as tidy as that? What tarp was it? What size? I have a 2.5m square Kathmandu Basha. Its a straight forward flat tarp with 16 attachment points around the edge and 3 loops along the ridgeline and some lifter tabs. Do you think I could create a similar set-up from that? it seems yours is bigger than my tarp.

I have only had the chance to take mine out once as it is my first one and I don't trust my pitching in a Lakes storm or even in any of the wet weather we had over summer. I tried a cave set-up where you peg it out at the back at the attachment points a little in from the corners and peg them out a bit slack. Then you peg out the corners at the other end also slack enough to allow you to put a trekking pole in the middle of the entrance and have it at the height you want. Then kind of tighten and guy it out a necessary.

That is good in theory but after half an hour of messing around I gave up and made a simple A-frame shelter. I figured the weather wasn't going to get bad and if it did I would be packed and back at the car quicker than you could pitch a tent.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Simon - Is that a snugpac hooped bivvy, stratos or whatever its name is on the last photo?
- Yes, a Snugpak Stratosphere...love it!

Nice sort of cave tarp set-up you have on 5th and 6th photo, can you let me know how you get it as tidy as that? What tarp was it? What size? I have a 2.5m square Kathmandu Basha. Its a straight forward flat tarp with 16 attachment points around the edge and 3 loops along the ridgeline and some lifter tabs. Do you think I could create a similar set-up from that? it seems yours is bigger than my tarp.
- Tarp is a DD 3 x 3m lightweight. You should be able to do a similar job with yours. I got the idea from a Youtube clip.

EDIT:

Link below is where I got the tarp idea from...I just modded it to suit the location.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkBeZqXU4zk

Simon

Last edited:

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Well now as its winter i often use:

-Savotta space blanket as floor,on my
-Otso laavu ( basically floor-less A-profile tent with one fully open end.
-Ajungilak tyin winter sleeping bag
-few niteize niners,to setup the laavu cloth between trees etc,with paracord
-Black diamond apollo lantern,when theres no fire going on to lite up the area
-usually i do my mattress out of pine branches,but if its not like that,i have Halti basecamp inflatable thick mattress,or,more often Savotta´s army mattress.

Thats about it.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My winter set-up is my nice warm bed at home. Joking. I don't often do winter camps, but when I do I've always ended up with good weather. Even when the weather started off bad with heavy snow I somehow end up pitching somewhere relatively snow free and sheltered, plus in a nice secure tent. I'm still plucking up courage to try a winter tarp camp in the Lakes, but since I have only ever used a tarp once I guess a bit more practise is needed first.

Thanks Simon. I tried to copy a youtube video but somehow mine ended up nowhere near as good or as stable as his did on the vid. I reckon a visit the the folks to use their lawn is needed to practise. Just reckon I'll end up having to listen to "why on earth did you waste your money on that" from my Dad and a "I don't know if I like you sleeping out in that" from my Mum. I think one reckons if it doesn't have two wheels and follows your car everywhere or is made out of bricks and mortar then its not worth anything. The other one has visions of me getting torn apart by wild animals I reckon. Still I have heard the stoat is quite a vicious little hunter so perhaps I am in danger. ;) :D

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i've got everything but poles to modify my current army issue bivvy into a hooped bivvi. i'm just in need of some small but bendy carbon fibre types.
as for camp setup its a case of throw up the DD tarp either between some tree's or even using my walking staff as a central point and climb under with my bivvi (ground dweller)
i don't reckon anything would attack me as my snoring would keep a Gruffalo away ;)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It does seem that there's a lot of tree dwellers on here. Where I tend to go you don't get quite as many trees to hammock under. I'm afraid in the Lakes, and even in Scotland where there are more trees, I'll still remain a ground dweller through choice. Plus I've been spotting some hammocks have a maximum user height (length) which is less than mine. Is that really the case? I thought hammocks were basically (at its simplest) a sheet of fabric tied at each end to a support like a tree. Surely they can cope with someone about 2m tall? Even if your head and feet get a little squashed at each end.

The best thing for snoring I've found is alcohol. That is for the people around the snorer of course. A nice malt is my preference and enough of it to aneasthetise anyone. A good back-up is industrial earplugs. If you have enough of them you could have two for your ears, two for the snorers nostrils and as many as you can down the throat! Sorry about that Melonfish but I've had a few wild camps and even car camps with a really bad snorer. Put it this way our tents survived the very strong winds until his snoring started and then they got blown away. A serious snorer he was. Apparently even in my deepest sleep (after a few days you can sleep through anything) I thought it was too loud and while still sleeping I sat up and shouted out "for F**ks-sake shut up" thn lay back down and carried on sleeping. That is the only recorded case of me sleepwalking.

BTW no offence to snorers meant. Some of my best former friends were snorers (may they rest in peace).;) :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It does seem that there's a lot of tree dwellers on here. Where I tend to go you don't get quite as many trees to hammock under. I'm afraid in the Lakes, and even in Scotland where there are more trees, I'll still remain a ground dweller through choice. Plus I've been spotting some hammocks have a maximum user height (length) which is less than mine. Is that really the case? I thought hammocks were basically (at its simplest) a sheet of fabric tied at each end to a support like a tree. Surely they can cope with someone about 2m tall? Even if your head and feet get a little squashed at each end.

There are quite a few bigger models out there Paul if you look, I'm just shy of 6ft but I prefer to have the longer length for comfort. I can recommend the Nomad Travel XL or the Nomads Land XXL which is huge and really soft and comfy.
If we ever meet up for a night in the woods I'll let you have a play with each.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
The best thing for snoring I've found is alcohol. That is for the people around the snorer of course. A nice malt is my preference and enough of it to aneasthetise anyone. A good back-up is industrial earplugs. If you have enough of them you could have two for your ears, two for the snorers nostrils and as many as you can down the throat! Sorry about that Melonfish but I've had a few wild camps and even car camps with a really bad snorer. Put it this way our tents survived the very strong winds until his snoring started and then they got blown away. A serious snorer he was. Apparently even in my deepest sleep (after a few days you can sleep through anything) I thought it was too loud and while still sleeping I sat up and shouted out "for F**ks-sake shut up" thn lay back down and carried on sleeping. That is the only recorded case of me sleepwalking.

BTW no offence to snorers meant. Some of my best former friends were snorers (may they rest in peace).;) :D

Well fortunatly me and Calibanzwei both snore quite loudly so we're used to it, however i have this ability to fall asleep within a minute where he takes some time to sleep so he has to bring earplugs or i'd keep him awake! hehe
i wake up in the morning and i'm like "what snoring?"

family trait we're a big family of snorers, even my kids have inherited it ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE