Your Best Bushcraft Purchase of 2012

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I actually am very jelous as i really would like to get one of those in the future.

There's a pattern on the forum somewhere ~ I'll have a look see and edit it in here when I find it ;)

EDIT: For the MYOG's aboard, or for those who might have access to someone a bit handy with scissors and a needle ...

I think that one of the best shelter design you can carry with you is the traditional loue. Here is a simple pattern for two man loue from a 1936 edition of Pieni retkeilyopas book. Depending of the material (linen is adviced), the weight of the final product should be about from one to one and a half kilograms.

rect4116.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loue_(tent)

629px-27_7_2007_loue.jpg

Last edited:

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
What I've gained this year cant be bought or given as gift and its something I'll cherish or the rest of my days.

Its the opportunity to meet some real, salt of the earth people who are all members of this forum. You guys know who you are :)

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Regatta soft shell boots from TK max £29.99 in Feb. Comfy straight out of the box, still going strong ,feet still dry,

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A new computer on which to view this site!
My old one died and for a couple of weeks I had to rely on the works computer.....

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
It's a toss up for me between my brasher hill walker gtx boots and my synmat 7!!
Both have been amazing buys!!

And let's be honest of your not in one your generally in the other out in the bush!! Lol

The Matt made a huge difference though, started the year on a trip in jan where it got down to minus 6 in a cheap self in flaring Mat, never had a cold night since!!

Happy new year guys!!

Frazer

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2009
Highlands
A one way train ticket from Inverness to Chester. It marked the start of a new job as a kids activity instructor, taking me out of an office 9-5. I took part in delivering the first Bushcraft session in the company earlier in the year, and am working to expand on what we teach. I'm hoping this effort will help me when I go for a contract extension / promotion in 2013.

Kit wise, well, I'll see what the postie brings today as it may change :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wow I would have never thought a computer could be a bushcraft purchase until now;)

It is stretching a point :)
However - I dont buy gear in the normal way of things ... I buy the bits to make gear (or get it given to me :) ).
The computer is the one completed item I have paid cash for that has a leisure use in any way Bushcrafty :)
Trades, makings, review kit - these I have not counted as "bought kit" :)
Courses I did not think of either ... perhaps I should have mentioned the Bushmoot ticket.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE