Young peoples delight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
It never ceases to amaze me the delight young people can have when shown an insight into nature. I work in the design dept of a city center college and the students are doing a project relating to cultural identity. We are focusing on what it is to be Scottish, through looking at traditional crafts and how artists and designers use them in the 21st C.
A couple of the students were looking at basketry and temporary structures, so at lunch time I went out along the Clyde and collected a bunch of willow, knife out in City center I wonder whit the polis wid say.
I took the willow, with catkins, into class in the afternoon and to see some of their wee faces light up was a delight. Questions of what is it? Answer, its where wee rabbits get their tails, where does it come from? Answer, a special place not far from here...
It reminded me that even the alcopop swiging, playstation playing, text sending generation can appreciate their natural environment if only we find ways of introducing it.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Thats a great story!
Me and my cousin recently went looking for crayfish in the local river. Her 15 year old stepdaughter who is a total misfit (also from glasgow!) decided she was coming. she brought along some of her local chav friends and a 9 year old neighbour. They all enjoyed our little outing wading in the river and I was suprised to find one of the local "hooded chav lads" she brought along was able to tell us where to find Chicken of the woods that he used to gather with his gran! local knowledge isnt as lost on the young as people think, we just need to engage them more.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE