You people make me sick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
All I ever see is people posting how great their work is and the fancy designs that they come up with. Whilst mere mortal, cack-handed baffoons like me end up getting ideas that we could do this with a little practice. Now SWBO never sees me 'cos I'm down the shed creating an ever larger pile of wood chippings and the local area is starting to look like there's been some large scale deforestation.

Yet more and more great bits of work appear. Stop sharing it, I can't cope with all the ideas you keep giving me, I'm just not that good.

But seriously, you guys post so lovely work and I'm truly envious. When matron slackens off the straight jacket and they let me handle sharps again, I'll have an even larger 'to try' list to get through.

Thanks for sharing everyone.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Pay more attention to your partner and less to piddling about carving stuff, bushcraft is a joke compared to a true relationship.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Mrs Ninja also wonders why the contents of our firewood box always looks like it's been half-carved
or chewed by some starved beaver.
These spoonistas and itinerant woodbutchers have alot to answer for.
There will come a day of reckoning when the cak-handed will rise up and fill your houses with almost-spoons
and semi-kuksas while you are asleep and carry off the lovely pieces you have been rubbing our noses in for years.
:AR15firin
Love it all really!
Cheers , simon

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
When I went to college (studying joinery) the first thing they had us doing is study how a tree grows so we knew how to work with the wood instead of trying to work against it even now I still have the odd "It's not supposed to do that!" moment

Last edited:

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
I put it down to my tools not being sharp. But sadly the dullest tool in my box is my head.

Someone once commented that my carving was very prehistoric. Tbh, it was a stick with a flat bit i was using as a spoon for rice. It's goe down hill from there really.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Pay more attention to your partner and less to piddling about carving stuff, bushcraft is a joke compared to a true relationship.

Ah but only if it's a good relationship, I'm sure some of the lads on here would much rather be down the shed than getting nagged at all day in the house

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Jack
I keep many examples of my early work; spoons that hold nothing on them and that are difficult to use, sheaths that are just plain ugly and knives that are of soft steel and probably down-right dangerous.

beginner.jpg

Never be afraid to fail,

I find it better to concentrate on getting the function sorted first and then find form at a later date.

ATB

Ogri the trog

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ah but only if it's a good relationship, I'm sure some of the lads on here would much rather be down the shed than getting nagged at all day in the house

Very very sad it that is true, I'd walk rather than live like that to be honest.

havocsdad

Jun 10, 2010
dorset
There are 2 types of carvers and craftsmen. Those that have te gift to create beautiful things and those that appreciate them

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
There are 2 types of carvers and craftsmen. Those that have te gift to create beautiful things and those that appreciate them

I wholeheartedly disagree.

Every member of this forum is capable of creating anything they want!

The only difference is some people have had more practice.

My first ever blade was pretty rubbish - 5 years on and my blades are still pretty rubbish. But they are a lot better than they were. And they will continue to improve.

So I say crack on - make a mess, carve until your hands are sore, play and have as much fun as you can!

As for the missus - make her something. If she's a keeper it will mean a lot to her. ;)
Andy

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Do it indoors and make a good mess, she deserves it.

(I cant carve at all...but really have never tried.)

Miniwhisk

Forager
Apr 7, 2010
Gloucestershire
Know how you feel. I'm not very good at making anything but have tried to make a few things - one offs.. and plan to get more into leather craft. Always so inspired by the skills here, so much that my little bits would never measure up to most. I am more inspired though, because of the painstaking focus and level of patience these wonderful craftsmen have. And I think that must probably be the key: So I try to do things very very slowly. Make every detail the only thing in your mind at the time. Patience with yourself and your tools. There are no flops or failures, only lessons learned in the pathway to perfecting something that interests you. Everything you personally craft has a bit of 'you' in what you create.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
All this talk of the patience of craftsmen. I'm no craftsmen, I just bodge the odd piece (literally) and then photograph it from a flattering angle. However, I am reminded of what I once hear a primary school teacher say to a parent who commented that she couldn't do the teacher's job, because she didn't have the patience to handle the children.

The teacher replied "I'm not patient. I'm just more stubborn than they are".

I think stubbornness is definitely a factor in finishing a bowl or a spoon, especially when it turns out to be harder than first imagined. It is for me anyway :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I think we all have those envious moments ~ most of those who show and tell will admit to the occasional 'Tried that, couldn't get a feel for it!'.

0Upho.gif

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
It does give me a buzz to have such a beautifully crafted fire with each stick cunningly carved to add rustic charm and the irresistible allure of artisan solid fuel to my fireplace. How many millionaires can have that sort of luxury?
:lmao:

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
...There are no flops or failures, only lessons learned in the pathway to perfecting something that interests you. Everything you personally craft has a bit of 'you' in what you create.
I think thats gorgeous, Miniwhisk- I post my mistakes along the way because although some folk look askance at me, as a noob myself I know I learn better from the mistakes than what goes according to plan.

On the relationship front, HWMBO has just sat for 15 minutes with my first blade, turning it over and over and told me its beautiful and will be a fine tool- I made it in his garage with his equipment and guidance using it- so he's a keeper for sure :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE