You know you're in the countryside when!

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
You come across

2 dead hedgehogs 1 freshly killed
1 dead bunny
The remains of a kestral
And a freshly killed cat

Anyone for stew:D

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have you read Fergus the Forager's pages ? :D Some of his recipes are a bit unique :)

Hedgehog tastes like pork. Not bacon; pork. They're best baked.

Rabbit....well it 'can' taste a bit like chicken, if cooked some ways, but usually it's just rabbit.

Kestral feathers make good dreamcatchers.

A dead cat needs buried. My Dad said though that he had to fine the men in an Arab boatyard after they ate the company cat, because, "Everyone knows that eating cat cures a belly ache". He didn't try it, so I haven't a clue what it'd taste like :dunno:

It's kind of the season for finding dead things, isn't it ? Just so much life about that it's sort of inevitable that there'll be casualties.
What killed the kestrel though ?

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Have you read Fergus the Forager's pages ? :D Some of his recipes are a bit unique :)

Hedgehog tastes like pork. Not bacon; pork. They're best baked.

Rabbit....well it 'can' taste a bit like chicken, if cooked some ways, but usually it's just rabbit.

Kestral feathers make good dreamcatchers.

A dead cat needs buried. My Dad said though that he had to fine the men in an Arab boatyard after they ate the company cat, because, "Everyone knows that eating cat cures a belly ache". He didn't try it, so I haven't a clue what it'd taste like :dunno:

It's kind of the season for finding dead things, isn't it ? Just so much life about that it's sort of inevitable that there'll be casualties.
What killed the kestrel though ?

cheers,
Toddy

Cat?
It tastes like Lamb Rogan Josh.....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao: :D

So we reckon the kestrel got the rabbit, the cat got the kestrel, the bus got the cat....and the hedgehogs ?

Dangerous things, buses.

John, just how do you know that cat tastes like lamb rogan josh ? :)

atb,
M

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Every time I drive the Grantham A1 exit to Melton Mowbray road it's always covered in dead stuff, there were pheasants, badgers, rabbits and other unidentifiable remains a couple of weeks ago when I was down.

When my folks first moved to Yorkshire we lived on a small farm in Haworth, you know you're in the country when your noisy neighbours are cows in the milking shed.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Where a mate of mine used to live in Sussex there was a stretch of road called "Leather Road". Every year so many frogs were run over on that stretch while trying to reach a mating spot that the road was literally paved in dried frog skin. Poor puddocks.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Where a mate of mine used to live in Sussex there was a stretch of road called "Leather Road". Every year so many frogs were run over on that stretch while trying to reach a mating spot that the road was literally paved in dried frog skin. Poor puddocks.

There's a road like that in Kent. On the back roads from Cheriton West of Folkestone heading towards Etchinghill. I rode that route on my bike for 18 months to work. The locals would organise themselves and flag down the traffic at all hours of the day or night and even stop the cars if there was a particularly heavy migration. Fascinating stuff to see first hand.

As for you know you're in the country. I still chuckle at someone's signature here at BCUK which said "The countryside... where things run around uncooked." Love that sort of humour. :lmao:

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
You know your in Narnia, when your following two farmers herding sheep down the road, side by side on quads, and one leans over and picks up a dead pigeon out of the middle of the road, dusts it off, and chucks it on the back of the quad.
No doubt, it tasted lovely.
I was born and bred here, so probably miss most the telltale signs.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You know your in Narnia, when your following two farmers herding sheep down the road, side by side on quads, and one leans over and picks up a dead pigeon out of the middle of the road, dusts it off, and chucks it on the back of the quad.

Erm - I just got back from Narnia ... a production by JAGS our local youth Dramatics group.... no quads were featured, but there were a couple of dead wolves :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

Ferret keeper? Or Decoying foxes?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE