You are your own responsibility

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
You're too kind, Bam :) I was actually thinking more about the little things like mugs, tea bags, sausages (grrr) and whatnot. Things I have and could/should have brought with me quite easily if I had thought things through properly.

I suppose the buddy system will depend on who you're buddying with, and the circumstances. If I'm with my wife, I trust her completely so it's fine to share the load and not double up on too much. If it's with my somewhat less organised brother, then I should keep myself sorted (and maybe bring spares for him too!)

Also, if you're just going for a walk in the countryside then it's fine to share. If you're travelling somewhere where there is a likelihood of being split up, then ensuring that both have the essentials for a night out in an emergency would be a good idea.

Of course, all this could be seen as a good excuse to buy more kit...!

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Mark, chill mate - thats what mates are for ;)

Myself, Bam and Andy are away this weekend and I will garuntee one of us will forget something :eek:

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Phil562 said:

Myself, Bam and Andy are away this weekend and I will garuntee one of us will forget something :eek:

:eek:
I forgot my hammock straps a month or two ago. Was kindly helped out by Squidders who had some spare rope with him.

As Phil said, it what mates are for.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Phil562 said:

andyn said:
:eek:
I forgot my hammock straps a month or two ago. Was kindly helped out by Squidders who had some spare rope with him.

As Phil said, it what mates are for.

You two are going to have me in tears in a mintue! :eek: :p :eek: :p :D

They're both right though, that is what you're mates are for :)

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
Too much emphasis is placed on buddy reliance this is more noticable with the PADI approach to diving in my option.

i moved over to a different style of diving which takes a simple look at whats wrong called simply DIR (doing it right)less is more

For most people the most obvious change here is changing how you deal of an out of air situation, you donate your primary reg from your mouth and switch to a seocndary held under your chin in a bungee necklace, the donated hose is is 7 foot long (not as unweildy as it sounds honest). for me it works on the assumption that a diver feeling their air supply dry up may panic and grab anything they can breath from.

I tend to take a similar approach when i'm out in the hills working on the assumption that if the worst happens i should be able to look after myself or others with minimal task loading.

Cheers

Graham

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
The prepare thing is a wirred thing indeed.
Every morning when I have to start working a truck picks me up at 7.00 to spent a entire day in the woods. I lay out my stuff on the kitchen table for the day, all the stuff I need to work in the river, food, water, stuff to make a fire, knife, gps, insectrepell, etc etc. I have a routine and that rutine really helps. While having breakfast I look at my stuff an go through it in my mind if I forgot something. I do pretty well doing it in that way.

BUT

Last week I ended up being in the woods with nearly nothing, not even matches, no knife and I even forgot my gps. How did this happend.
Well, first off all it was not my daily routine. A guy, I got in contact via internet was on his way up to Kiruna and ask me if it was ok that he visit me. I said sure, now, I was stressed because of the guy standing behind me waiting to go for a hike, my dog was nervous pieping and making sounds, I was talking like a waterfall to the guy. I guess I was nervous having him around. Anyhow, I felt rushed and ended up thinking about everything but not my own gear!

For me routine is everything, and having a chance to think. But having the kids talking to me, guest, another type of rythm and I happen to make mistakes. Thats a thing I really have to work on to give a ...............when people are around me, not thinking that they have to have a good time and should not wait. Let them wait and only go when you are sure you have you gear ok.

Yep, I know what you are talking about mate
Abbe

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Phil562 said:

Told yer, Bam forgot his Kuuksa so he borrowed mine to drink his Sloe Gin from, mind you he did share it ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE