You are all cordially invited...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
THANKS Eric,

I'm ordering the book today.

You are so right, a festival that large would take time to grow and professional organization to keep on track. But, someone has to start it. I will be talking to some business people and craftsmen I know and writing letters to our Forestry Commission and some non-profit orgs that can help get things moving. We have a beautiful state park on a mountain here with lots of parking, hundreds of miles of walking trails, a lake, museum and declining visitation. This could be a great way to get people out there or we may find a better place. Who knows? But you have given me inspiration to start talking to people about it.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
weaver said:
THANKS Eric,

I'm ordering the book today.

You are so right, a festival that large would take time to grow and professional organization to keep on track. But, someone has to start it. I will be talking to some business people and craftsmen I know and writing letters to our Forestry Commission and some non-profit orgs that can help get things moving. We have a beautiful state park on a mountain here with lots of parking, hundreds of miles of walking trails, a lake, museum and declining visitation. This could be a great way to get people out there or we may find a better place. Who knows? But you have given me inspiration to start talking to people about it.

Excellent mate. Just ask if there is anything you want to know, either about green woodcraft or any other related subject. I'll be glad to help if i can.

Eric

Eric_Methven said:
Incidently, I'll be managing the green woodcraft team next to the bushcraft area. If any of you fancy two days of green woodcrafting tutorials, with plenty of hands on experience here's your chance. We'll be making stuff on the spring pole lathe, maybe turning wooden bowls and plates (If I get my bowl lathe finished in time), possibly knocking out a few longbows (ash quality permitting) and of course spoon and noggin/kuska carving. All tools and materials will be provided. What's it going to cost you? NOWT, NADA, ZILCH! Just be there, smile for the cameras and let the public watch you being taught new skills.

Eric
Now that is an oppertunity to good to miss,. I'll be putting some holiday in tomorrow hopefully my lad will be up for it too
Thanks for making the offer Eric :You_Rock_
Tim :)

P

psycho981

best secret parties :cool: at the festival are around the charcoal kiln .

any of Erics compadre's are welcome to join us.

within stumbling distance of Erics camping site too :beerchug:

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
My mini chainsaw mill attachment arrived this morning so I will now be able to cut planks lenghtways from big logs. These will be for bowl and plate blanks, stool seats and bench and table tops. I'll get a load prepped for the festival so anyone who turns up from BCUK will be practically guaranteed to be taking some rustic furniture home with them. This just gets better and better.

Eric

rancid badger

couple of cautionary notes on the festival:

the absolute final closing date for inclusion and acceptance for the festival is june 1st.
all are welcome to attend as visitors but will have to pay to get in!

the demo team MUST be sorted in advance and booking forms sorted out, as well any timber requirements etc.

you must be demonstrating skills if you wish to sell stuff. anyone wishing to exhibit on their own accord can do so if they contact the organisers through the festival website.

the police and organisers will not tolerate any one wandering around with knives, axes etc. on belts or whatever, its fine on your pitch/display area but an absolute no no anywhere else on site. I spoke to several wanabe 'rambo's' at the festival last year to explain this point but unfortunately, members of the public had already complained to other officials. I then had to fight our corner at the next Festival meeting!

its not au fait to have a load of booze on display during the day while the public's about. later on is fine, you can have a drink no problem. the police operate a policy of stopping punters coming in with their own booze and confiscate it on the gates, so theres no way we can have exhibitors with piles of grog on display. keep it out of site of the public during the day or risk having it confiscated and you not being asked back.

finally; please remember that we (me and eric) are looking at the festival having a bushcraft theme next year, we need the best we can muster and the very best behaviour and professionalism.

This is the premier woodland event in the north of england and people really do come from all over the country. it would be a fantastic opportunity for any legit bushcraft training providers to advertise and even get firm bookings from fresh punters. I am always snowed under with requests for courses, but the stuff I run is designed as introductory to mid level only and I try to refer people on.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Eric

Id really like to come & help out - Im free that weekend but its a hell of a long ride 300 miles each way.

Ill have to take a long look at the stats

Cheers
Nick

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
So sorry I am going to miss this as we {wife dog and self] just finalised booking for Richmond Kite Festival for that weekend. My wife is very supportive of my
activities and intends to come along to any of the Bushcraft Events that we are free to attend and is also into camping and the dog would have enjoyed it too I am sure. This is our second visit to the Richmond event so I will check with you next year before making any arrangements so that we can come to Chopwell if it is usually on at the same time of year. Would have loved to support you this time but it is not to be. Hope you get this wonderful weather for it and all goes well. Looking forward to seeing you again sometime. Back on the pipe again so I am enjoying your present the clay you gave me at Loch Achray
Cheers for now . Stuart

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
ol' smokey said:
So sorry I am going to miss this as we {wife dog and self] just finalised booking for Richmond Kite Festival for that weekend. My wife is very supportive of my
activities and intends to come along to any of the Bushcraft Events that we are free to attend and is also into camping and the dog would have enjoyed it too I am sure. This is our second visit to the Richmond event so I will check with you next year before making any arrangements so that we can come to Chopwell if it is usually on at the same time of year. Would have loved to support you this time but it is not to be. Hope you get this wonderful weather for it and all goes well. Looking forward to seeing you again sometime. Back on the pipe again so I am enjoying your present the clay you gave me at Loch Achray
Cheers for now . Stuart

No problems my friend, enjoy the Kite Festival. See you at one of the meets that are sure to crop up later in the year.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
wanderinstar said:
As it is the w/end before we go on holiday down south, if I can persuade er indoors I will be there. Are there any costs involved?

If you can come along and do a bit of a demo on something bushcrafty, then we can put you down as a demonstrator and it won't cost you anything. But we need to know for definite by the end of this month. It's all about getting you registered for insurance purposes. If you just fancy popping along for the day then you'll have to come as a punter and pay at the gate I'm afraid. Same goes for everyone else. This one is not like a normal meet/moot. Normally people just turn up if they can make it, but because of the reasons mentioned above, we really do need firm confirmation so we can register people. When you get registered, you'll be sent a vehicle pass. You won't get onto the site without one.

Eric

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Afraid I cant do anything but Ben has demoed making matchcases out of shotgun shells (used of course). Is that any good? Was actually hoping to come for the w/end and stay Sat night, not just a day trip.

Kane

Forager
Aug 22, 2005
UK
Blimey I shot somewhere around there in the early 80s - is there still a bloke called Malpass knocking around up there?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE