You are all cordially invited...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
You are all cordially invited to Chopwell Woods on the weekend of 14th and 15th July 2007.

The occasion is the Chopwell Forest Festival, a massive event covering woodcraft, bushcraft, archery, falconry etc. There are three top rated bands booked to provide live entertainment throughout the weekend. There will be jugglers, stilt walkers, living history as well as the more traditional green woodworking, carving, charcoal burning, horse logging and chair bodging and loads of other stuff that I can't remember right now.

As you know, I have been heavily promoting bushcraft within the wider community for years now and this is an opportunity for you guys to showcase your skills and talents. We need a group of bushcrafters for our bushcraft camp display area. There are maybe half a dozen up this way who will definitely be there, but they are still in the learning stage and don't necessarily feel comfortable demonstrating to the general public and answering in depth questions.

We will have a large area in which to set up, among beech, oak and alder trees. The ground is mainly flat with loads of leaf litter so debris shelters will be getting built. There's also loads of space for bashas, hammocks and tents. We can have open fires.

There's always a decent party or two on the Saturday night as well once the public have gone so bring a bottle and a few tinnies. (The public are only there 10.00am till 5.00pm both days)

So, if you fancy a bushcrafting weekend with a difference, Chopwell is the place for you. Some funding may be available for travelling expenses for those able to demonstrate specific bushcraft skills and are coming from some distance.

Last year the main theme was mountain biking, next year we hope it'll be Bushcraft. This is our opportunity to make an impression. There will be TV and radio coverage during the weekend as well, and for those of you who have read Green Woodwork, you may well get the opportunity to meet it's author Mike Abbot who will be at the festival.

Finally, if you have any gear you'd like to flog, no problem. I'll be selling woodcraft items and leather stuff as well as custom firesteels. We don't even have to make a donation as giving our time is seen as enough.

There will be betwen 4000 and 6000 visitors over the two days, and as the festival is designed round a huge circuit, most of them will see you and what you're doing.

The location of Chopwell Forest is just a few miles south west of newcastle upon Tyne. I'll post full directions later on.

There will also be portaloos on site and plenty ice cream and burger vans. You'll also have loads of time to explore all the exhibits yourselves.

Who's interested? I just need approximate numbers right now so I can make sure we have a large enough area in which to work.

To see some photos from last years event :
http://chopwellfestival.org/pages/gallery/festival-2006.php (I'm the one dressed like a pillock demonstrating archery)
The main festival web site is here:
http://www.chopwellfestival.org/

Any questions, ask away.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Blimey, that was quick Womble.
Nearly forgot. This invite is open to families as well as individuals. Bring the wife, bring the kids, bring the dog. Incidently, the main theme at the festival this year is 'Scruffs' dog show. Fun for pooches of dubious pedigree and breeds.

Eric

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
That sounds great! But it's right when my bro and his family are over visiting from Oz...

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
matt-w said:
Doesn't it just. I just wish I was more proficient in everything.

Proficiency isn't a pre-requisit. Everyone's welcome from BCUK. You'll learn loads of stuff, then you can pass the knowledge on to others in the future.

Eric

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Brilliant,

I am going to try to bring the family up then (work etc permitting). It looks fantastic, cheers Eric. I can give you a definite yes closer to the time.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Sounds great Eric. I'll have to look at the diary. I've always wondered what a pillock looked like. Thanks for the pictures!!! :lmao:

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Incidently, I'll be managing the green woodcraft team next to the bushcraft area. If any of you fancy two days of green woodcrafting tutorials, with plenty of hands on experience here's your chance. We'll be making stuff on the spring pole lathe, maybe turning wooden bowls and plates (If I get my bowl lathe finished in time), possibly knocking out a few longbows (ash quality permitting) and of course spoon and noggin/kuska carving. All tools and materials will be provided. What's it going to cost you? NOWT, NADA, ZILCH! Just be there, smile for the cameras and let the public watch you being taught new skills.

Eric

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I would love to come along, but my circumstances are about to change due to my leaving the forces and I cannot predict what I will be doing at that time. Needless to say, I will be on the site so if this thread keeps popping up, I could give you a more positive answer later on nearer the time. It sounds like a fantastic opportunity, I think I just like the idea of being able to make it to meets and the like now that I am back in UK!!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Id be very interested Eric, I need to have a chat with the wife about hols etc...
Esp interested in the green woodcraft.. Are you thinking about the gourmet bushmeals again??? ;)

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
JohnC said:
Are you thinking about the gourmet bushmeals again??? ;)

Very possibly. There's no reason why we can't have a huge cauldron of curry and rice on the go, so nobody has to stop off to cook themselves something to eat.

Spammel: You'd be most welcome mate. There's enough interest right now for me to book a large pitch, and it'd be great to see you there.

Eric

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Eric,

Sounds a dream!

Wish I could be there, would love to organize the same over here! What is the book you recommended for Greenwood work? I need to buy it. I am wood working now but need to expand my knowledge so as to make a second career of it.

Moving soon to a smaller place closer to town and work so I can have more time to woodwork and have a bigger market to sell my work. The new place will have garden spots, orchards and some woods, about 5 acres altogether. I want to start coppice areas and green woodworking. I will have a 20 x 30 shop at the new place more than thrice what I have now.

I surely would love to come and work with you for a few weeks and learn as much as possible first hand!

Any remarks on starting a forest festival like this one here would be greatly appreciated!

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I would be interested, I have to see how work pans out, I`m doing a number of Bushcraft demonstrations, a taster day event and running a couple of events in June/July, so its busy busy busy...but my dog is called Scruff so..and it of very debatable breed lol

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
weaver said:
Eric,

Sounds a dream!

Wish I could be there, would love to organize the same over here! What is the book you recommended for Greenwood work? I need to buy it. I am wood working now but need to expand my knowledge so as to make a second career of it.

Moving soon to a smaller place closer to town and work so I can have more time to woodwork and have a bigger market to sell my work. The new place will have garden spots, orchards and some woods, about 5 acres altogether. I want to start coppice areas and green woodworking. I will have a 20 x 30 shop at the new place more than thrice what I have now.

I surely would love to come and work with you for a few weeks and learn as much as possible first hand!

Any remarks on starting a forest festival like this one here would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Weaver,
The book you want is "Green Woodwork - working with wood the natural way", by Mike Abbott. ( ISBN 0 946819 18 1) Guild of Master Craftsman publications.

The forest festival as it exists today has developed over the last twenty or so years. It first started as a public open day with a few friends demonstrating their crafts and letting visitors have a go. The following year it was a trade fair on the saturday and a public day on the sunday. It became popular, and over the years has developed into one of the biggest woodland shows in the country. It is now so big that a team of professional event organisers handle the logistics and administration. The event costs in the region of £40,000 to put on and is heavily subsidised by the Forestry Commission (Government forestry department), grants from the EEC social fund (I think) and profits from the sale of Christmas trees. There's no way one man could put something like this on by himself, but there's no reason not to start small with an open day, maybe with a few friends and see where it goes from there.
Good luck with your new venure.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE