York and surrounds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I'm looking for a spot to go and spend the night or weekend up near York. Obviously i live here, but so far i've drawn a blank. Dalby Forest which is fantastic doesn't allow over night camping (£7 to get in and they check all the car parks after "closing")

So any suggestions folks please.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Nat, go to google maps and tap in Blubberhouses. Have a look at the reservoirs using the satellite photo facility. There are plenty of tree's around and no one really checks, I used to do my training around the reservoirs, about the only other idiots up there are the spams from Menwith doing their runs.

And, it ain't that far from York.

The edge of Ilkley Moor has a pine plantation too as I remember.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
forget Ilkely the whole area is heavily used and the block of wood at the Keighley ending is been felled.

Washburn Valley (Blubberhouses) again is heavily used by walker and Yorkshire Water staff are usually around, but if you are discreet who knows.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
We moved sarf, so its a few years since I've been up there. The reservoirs I used to use during the week and they were always quiet then and even weekends the punters tend to stick to the main tracks. I would think that at this time of the year you should be able to lose yourself in the tree's as long as you do not light any raging bonfires. I used to yomp around with my bergen on and stop for lunch and a brew with a hexi and the staff never told me to "go away".

With the maps and satellite pics you can check the likeliest places that are a nice inconvenient distance from the water treatment buildings so that you will not get bothered. Added to which, if they are anything like Severn Trent, there is one guy on night duty and he is in front of a TV - the wife did a contract with them.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Pine forest on the edge of Ilkely moor, I strung a hammock up there once, lit a small fire and the landowner turned up with a shotgun. Woops.:eek:

I always find it really difficult to find anywhere in West/North Yorkshire. [Surely this is my lack of knowledge and there must be some decent places?]
If you look on the Out and About posts on this forum, there's not much.....
Only two pages of postings. But it is quite new.
Id like to go to somewhere like scotland, but apart from looking at google maps, to try and find a remote spot, or endlessly typing in 'wild camp scotland' for instance I cant seem to find enough information about a good remote location.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Scotland, just go north........and then some.

I was once put ashore north of Ullapool 5 days before christmas, that'll give you an idea of the weather. Apart from the four of us I never saw anyone else until we RV'ed with the ship again just south of Helmsdale.

We could go and do snow holes in the hills around Aviemore later in the year, saw Gryf Rees Jones do it on his Mountains series.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Nat,

Pickering is accessable by bus and you can walk over to Daly forest. Not much water available so check out where the streams are. There are some secluded spots around even on a bank holiday (so I've heard.) :)

Looks like it could be a nice walk in from the Scarborough side too.

Stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE